Old 14-12-2006, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JT JT is offline

Default New lawn dying

Help please,

moved two years ago and laid new turf in Spring 2005, no problems at all and
the lawn was in splendid shape this summer.
Last mown mid October. Now starting to die in patches.

photo of part of it
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bar...cd.jpg&.src=ph

Is this just from waterlogging, The piece in the picture was laid over an
old flower bed, ( well prepared for turf)

TIA

JT

Old 14-12-2006, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/12/06 14:49, in article
, "JT"

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bar...d&.dnm=ed99scd.
jpg&.src=ph

Is this just from waterlogging, The piece in the picture was laid over an
old flower bed, ( well prepared for turf)

Long shot - but was anything used on the flower bed to kill of unwanted
vegetation?
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 14-12-2006, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JT JT is offline

Long shot - but was anything used on the flower bed to kill of unwanted
vegetation?

Nothing toxic, and the new turf took so well.

also affecting our brick circle inlaid with turf. This was so healthy in the
summer and autumn.
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bar...cd.jpg&.src=ph

I feel it must be warterlogging, yet never had a problem in the old house
thats only 45 yards away.

Thanks for your help

JT

Old 14-12-2006, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/12/06 16:53, in article
, "JT"
wrote:

Long shot - but was anything used on the flower bed to kill of unwanted
vegetation?

Nothing toxic, and the new turf took so well.

also affecting our brick circle inlaid with turf. This was so healthy in the
summer and autumn.
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bar....dnm=410bscd.j
pg&.src=ph

I feel it must be warterlogging, yet never had a problem in the old house
thats only 45 yards away.

Thanks for your help

No help at all, I'm afraid. ;-( If it's water logging, did you DIY or did
you employ someone to prepare the ground and do it for you? If the latter,
you might have some redress. That said, I'm still somewhat puzzled
because our big lawn here is saturated. You really can't walk on it because
the water comes over your shoes and the marks your feet leave behind are
terrible. Admittedly, it's on a slope so it drains but right now it's like
a soggy sponge and it is every winter. But we don't get the trouble you
describe. Is it possible there is some solid foundation to the flower bed
or brick circle, so that the water can't drain away? In the summer was the
turf in those areas greener than the others in the hotter periods?

Old 14-12-2006, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 14:49:20 GMT
"JT" wrote:

Help please,

moved two years ago and laid new turf in Spring 2005, no problems at all and
the lawn was in splendid shape this summer.
Last mown mid October. Now starting to die in patches.

photo of part of it
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bar...cd.jpg&.src=ph

Is this just from waterlogging, The piece in the picture was laid over an
old flower bed, ( well prepared for turf)

Hi John,

Guess you should have stayed put... The link doesn't work for me, but if the turf
was properly prepared it seems strange that it would start to die from water
logging now. Have you seen pools of standing water?

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Old 14-12-2006, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JT" wrote in message
k...
Help please,

moved two years ago and laid new turf in Spring 2005, no problems at all

and
the lawn was in splendid shape this summer.
Last mown mid October. Now starting to die in patches.

photo of part of it

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bar...cd.jpg&.src=ph

Is this just from waterlogging, The piece in the picture was laid over an
old flower bed, ( well prepared for turf)

TIA

JT

I can't see the picture (it wants me to be a member) so I am not sure how
big the patches are. Here are some suggestions.
There is the possibility that the turf used was a mixture of annual and
perennial grasses i.e. not great for lawns. If it is that, then time will
fix it as over the years the perennial grasses take over, but as grass seed
is so cheap you may as well just sprinkle some over the patches.
Do you have a dog? that is another common cause of brown patches on lawns.
Do you have a petrol mower that may have leaked fuel, that also makes big
brown patches.
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 14-12-2006, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JT" wrote in message
k...
Help please,

moved two years ago and laid new turf in Spring 2005, no problems
at all and the lawn was in splendid shape this summer. Last mown
mid October. Now starting to die in patches.

Yahoo won't let me see the photo.
Where did the turf come from? Cultivated or 'Meadow turf'? My guess is
you bought some turf full of annual meadow grass - Poa pratensis and
it's doing what annual grasses do (It's a common weed of ornamental
turf anyway but you shouldn't get much in a decent quality cultivated
turf). If that's the case and you are certain that what you got is not
of the quality you should be able to expect for the price then
complain. If it was cheap, then you got what you paid for.
--
Rod

My real address is rodthegardeneratmyisp

Old 14-12-2006, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JT JT is offline

.. If it was cheap, then you got what you paid for.

Sorry about the link

my fault try this
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bar...1947/my_photos

The turf was top spec from Rolawn and laid by a professional firm who had
done the landscaping. It was SO healthy a matter of two months ago.

we have a dog, but this is not dog damage, anyway he pees on the slate
lump!!

Thanks for all your help

Old 14-12-2006, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JT JT is offline

Hi John,

Guess you should have stayed put... The link doesn't work for me, but if
the turf
was properly prepared it seems strange that it would start to die from
water
logging now. Have you seen pools of standing water?

Emery
Are you the same Emery as in alt.food.wine

Old 14-12-2006, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 19:09:54 GMT
"JT" wrote:

Hi John,

Guess you should have stayed put... The link doesn't work for me, but if
the turf
was properly prepared it seems strange that it would start to die from
water
logging now. Have you seen pools of standing water?

Emery
Are you the same Emery as in alt.food.wine

Here with my glass of Beaumes de Venise, yes.

-E

Old 14-12-2006, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emery Davis" wrote in message
On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 19:09:54 GMT
"JT" wrote:

Hi John,

Guess you should have stayed put... The link doesn't work for me, but
if
the turf
was properly prepared it seems strange that it would start to die from
water
logging now. Have you seen pools of standing water?

Emery
Are you the same Emery as in alt.food.wine

Here with my glass of Beaumes de Venise, yes.

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom
by removing the well known companies

And are you the chap of Lineone fame?

Old 15-12-2006, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 20:33:54 -0000
"Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)" wrote:

And are you the chap of Lineone fame?

Rupert,

I did answer, but for some reason it didn't show up even on my server.
Don't know anything about Lineone, so I guess the answer is no.

How's that Osakazuki of yours doing? I planted one last spring in
full sun, it seems very happy (so far).

-E

Old 15-12-2006, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)" wrote:

And are you the chap of Lineone fame?

Rupert,

I did answer, but for some reason it didn't show up even on my server.
Don't know anything about Lineone, so I guess the answer is no.

How's that Osakazuki of yours doing? I planted one last spring in
full sun, it seems very happy (so far).

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom
by removing the well known companies

The Osakazuki is doing fine. Good autumn colour this year, unlike last year
when just as the thing was starting to colour we had a brief severe frost
and all leaves dropped off. It started the year covered in those white bug
things
(scale/mealy) but that was sorted with a violent blast from a hose.
It never flinched once in that very hot dry July -so it's a definite Gudun
in sun.

Old 15-12-2006, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bar...1947/my_photos

The turf was top spec from Rolawn and laid by a professional firm who had
done the landscaping. It was SO healthy a matter of two months ago.

we have a dog, but this is not dog damage, anyway he pees on the slate
lump!!

1 What have you growing near it that may change the soil acid/alkali
levels?
2 Is there a clay subsoil much lower down?
3 If you remove the top 2" what does it smell like?
4 In the "Circle" is there any drainage away under the rim?

Old 15-12-2006, 07:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 18:02:52 -0000
"Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)" wrote:

The Osakazuki is doing fine. Good autumn colour this year, unlike last year
when just as the thing was starting to colour we had a brief severe frost
and all leaves dropped off. It started the year covered in those white bug
things
(scale/mealy) but that was sorted with a violent blast from a hose.
It never flinched once in that very hot dry July -so it's a definite Gudun
in sun.

Glad to hear it. Even with my usual irregular watering (long way from the spigot)
mine did fine too. I don't think it even showed much leaf burn, which is impressive
for a newly planted palmatum. On the other hand, not much colour, although it
wasn't alone in that. Of the palmatums only Okagami and Ariadne (and to some
extent Mirte) showed any colour this year before the gales blasted them. Almost
none of the other maples coloured either.

I'd be a little careful with violent hosing of the palmatum, though, they can be
very prone to bark damage. Although with the mealies, I'm not sure what other
options there are.

-E