Old 27-12-2006, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Climbing Fuchsia?

I see T & M are offering for sale "the worlds first climbing fuchsia" which
is also extra hardy.
Anyone tried it or even seen it? We need something (unusual) like that to
climb a fence.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 27-12-2006, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote after...
"Bob Hobden" wrote:

I see T & M are offering for sale "the worlds first climbing fuchsia"
which
is also extra hardy.
Anyone tried it or even seen it? We need something (unusual) like that to
climb a fence.

Is it F. Lady Boothby? If so, Ray had it 20 years ago and saw it
climbing
up a tree in Tresco! The old gardener there gave him a piece but he's
since
lost it. Hardy Exotics have it at £9.50. Ray says the 'trumpet' is such a
dark blue that it's almost black.
http://stgilesnursery.co.uk/Climbimg...G_FUCHSIA.html
has them at 0.95 per plug.
One site claims it goes to 4m (perhaps that's on Tresco) and another
claims
2m.
There's another climbing one something like F. regia but I think it is
tender.

Yes it is F. Lady Boothby...5 plants for £9.99 or 15 plants for £14.99 and
the trumpet is very dark if the pictures are to be believed.
So does Ray think it's a "goodun" then?

BTW they also have a trailing Bizzy Lizzy called "Spellbound" in their
catalogue.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 27-12-2006, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/12/06 18:48, in article , "Bob
Hobden" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote after...
"Bob Hobden" wrote:

[...]

He says "not overwhelmed" but the colour is quite interesting. It's a medium
sized flower, long like the old-fashioned Fuchsias. The sepals are scarlet
and the centre almost black. I asked about the climbing properties and he
says his got up to about 8' in the greenhouse here but the one he saw in
Tresco was about 20 to 30' up a tree and must have been donkey's years old.
It's not a natural climber, in that it doesn't self support and has to be
tied in. He thinks it's almost hardy here so T&M's claim that it's hardy
might not apply to all parts of UK! That said, I've ordered some from St
Giles because I'm interested to see what it does!

BTW they also have a trailing Bizzy Lizzy called "Spellbound" in their
catalogue.

We don't have that one but we have a couple of others that S&G do and which
we get as plugs - don't know the names offhand I'm afraid.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 27-12-2006, 11:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote ((big snip))

[...]

Thanks Sacha and please thank Ray for the info too.
Might be worth a go then just to see what it does here.
--
Regards
Bob H

Old 27-12-2006, 11:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:

Thanks Sacha and please thank Ray for the info too.
Might be worth a go then just to see what it does here.
--
Regards
Bob H

Hi Bob,

I saw it in the T&M mailshot I received today.

I'm going to order 5 as I love fuchsias.

I'd be happy to send you one gratis if you like (it's April delivery)

You can contact me at

jefftaylor(at)blueyonder.co.uk if interested.

Jeff
NE England
Old 28-12-2006, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/12/06 23:26, in article , "Bob
Hobden" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote ((big snip))

[...]

It's always worth trying something just to see what happens. Unless it
costs a fortune, one hasn't lost much if it doesn't work and when people
dither about buying a plant as a present "because it might die", I remind
them that it's probably a third of the cost of a bunch of flowers!

Old 28-12-2006, 02:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jeff" wrote
Bob Hobden wrote:

Thanks Sacha and please thank Ray for the info too.
Might be worth a go then just to see what it does here.

Hi Bob,

I saw it in the T&M mailshot I received today.

I'm going to order 5 as I love fuchsias.

I'd be happy to send you one gratis if you like (it's April delivery)

You can contact me at

jefftaylor(at)blueyonder.co.uk if interested.

Thanks for that offer Jeff but I think I will also send for a few.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 28-12-2006, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
On 27/12/06 23:26, in article , "Bob
Hobden" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote ((big snip))
[...]

I've just been playing their video that comes with the catalogue, it's
ok but a bit "gung ho" for my tastes, understated impresses me more.
Though I do wish my plants grew like theirs, though I wonder if they are
all "direct" videos, or computer enhanced in some way.

--
Please do not reply to the
email address as all post
Old 28-12-2006, 04:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 27/12/06 23:26, in article , "Bob
Hobden" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote ((big snip))

[...]

I seem to remember one at Trengwainton too, but it seemed to me to climb as
Couch grass - ie just pushes its self into something but has no proper
climbing mechanisim, but maybe the one you are all talking about is
completely different!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 28-12-2006, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/12/06 16:14, in article , "Charlie
Pridham" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 27/12/06 23:26, in article
, "Bob
Hobden" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote ((big snip))

He says "not overwhelmed" but the colour is quite interesting. It's a
medium
sized flower, long like the old-fashioned Fuchsias. The sepals are

scarlet
and the centre almost black. I asked about the climbing properties and

he
says his got up to about 8' in the greenhouse here but the one he saw

in
Tresco was about 20 to 30' up a tree and must have been donkey's years
old.
It's not a natural climber, in that it doesn't self support and has to

be
tied in.

snip

I seem to remember one at Trengwainton too, but it seemed to me to climb as
Couch grass - ie just pushes its self into something but has no proper
climbing mechanisim, but maybe the one you are all talking about is
completely different!

No, I think that could still be right. If it's climbing into e.g. a tree,
as in Tresco, it will snag itself onto branches, twigs, rough bits of bark
etc. But if it's to go up a trellis or smooth support, it will need help to
take hold.
I'm trying to remember the name of that trailing grey leafed plant that's so
good for baskets etc. I put some into a cut out square on a raised and
paved terrace that also had an old Camellia in it. Within a year the
whatever-it-is had climbed UP to the very top of the Camellia but without
that rough trunk etc., it was as traily as a trailing thing! ;-)

Old 29-12-2006, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I suspect that 'Lady Boothby' is a hybrid of F. regia, which is about
as close to a 'vining' Fuchsia that you can get. 'Lady B' has been
doing the rounds for many years, although it has never been heralded to
the general gardening public before. I remember it as a lax-growing
shrub that dies back in a cold winter, but can remain almost evergreen
down here in the South West. It is undoubtedly very root-hardy and if
you can persuade it to retain the top growth, it makes a very charming
tall pillar from which arching branches cascade to display the flowers.
In cold parts of the country expect it to just about reach 1.6m and in
milder regions 2.8m or more. To my mind it needs to be admired from
reasonably close quarters since the very dark corolla'd flowers can
seem to disappear from a distance.

Fuchsia regia ssp. regia is rather more vining, although the stems do
not twine and need the support of neighbouring shrubs or trellis. It
is reasonably root-hardy in many parts of the UK, but like 'Lady B'
will be a tallish shrub with arching to lax shoots where it has been
cut back by frosts. The foliage is quite striking, being long narrow
and glossy. It promises all manner of exotic ideas of the flowers to
come, but they arrive as being a tad too similar to F. magellanica (to
my mind) albeit rather larger. I had it against an east wall here for
several years, but it eventually became crowded out. Here it ran on
for over 3m. in either direction and was often forgotten until a spray
of flowers appeared amongst other plants. F. fulgens 'Speciosa' now
does a vaguely similar trick, but with more erect growth, whopping
great pink-veined, sage green, heart-shaped leaves and seriously
handsome sprays of green-tipped, coral-orange flowers.

Old 29-12-2006, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"DavePoole Torquay" wrote ...
[...]

Excellent reply as usual Dave, thank you and welcome back.
The position I want something for means it cannot be looked at closer than
about 13ft (on a W facing wall too) so perhaps I will have to look
elsewhere.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 30-12-2006, 08:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:

I'm trying to remember the name of that trailing grey leafed plant that's so
good for baskets etc. I put some into a cut out square on a raised and
paved terrace that also had an old Camellia in it. Within a year the
whatever-it-is had climbed UP to the very top of the Camellia but without
that rough trunk etc., it was as traily as a trailing thing! ;-)

I'm sure Sacha must mean Helichrysum petiolatum, which in milder
regions can be treated as a 'climber'. It needs support, but a few
wires strung against a fence or wall is enough. For some years I had
the yellow-leaved form ('Limelight') covering a couple of 6ft. fence
panels until I allowed a purple-red flowered passion flower to crowd it
out. It made a tremendous amount of growth each year and needed brutal
shearing every spring to keep it in check. It was a superb partner for
the rich purple flowers if Asarina (Maurandia) barclaiana that
clambered through it. If I had the space, I would plant that pairing
again.

Another climbing 'grey' related to the Helichrysum and wonderful for
running up behind wires or a fence in a mild sunny spot is Senecio
leucostachys. It can behave as a herbaceous perennial in areas not
cold enough to kill it outright, but too chilly for the stems to
remain. In favoured spots it will run up 8 feet or so, producing a
spending backcloth of very elegant, pinnate (divided), 6" long leaves
that are intensely silver. Magnificent when coupled with anything
vividly coloured and extremely tasteful Jekyllesque-fashion if grown
with pale blues or pinks. I suspect, or rather am sure it would be
perfect if Fuchsia 'Lady B' was grown through it.

Fuchsia - Fuchsia-firecracker-throwback.jpg Charles[_1_] Garden Photos 0 03-04-2009 08:40 PM
Fuchsia - Fuchsia-Firecracker.jpg Charles[_1_] Garden Photos 0 03-04-2009 08:40 PM
Fuchsia paul United Kingdom 2 12-03-2003 05:32 PM
PNW help - Fuchsia procumbens and Jasminum nudiflorum sam Gardening 3 05-02-2003 07:29 PM
Turning Fuchsia to Standard Kostas Kavoussanakis United Kingdom 1 27-01-2003 02:51 PM