Old 12-01-2007, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Now brooding over bantams.

"Sacha" wrote in message news:C1CC740E.40D04%

I wonder if the OP is still going to get some dear little bantams.....

Well.... Sacha,

firstly, Many Happy Returns.

'OP' is indeed a bit 'OP'

Off Put that is - especially as I wear shorts for about seven months of the
year, naturally with sandals and no socks.

Now I'm off to Ebay to find some cricket pads! ;-)

More questions about bantams and rat-proof hen feeders coming soon.

Keith

Old 12-01-2007, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
"Sacha" wrote in message

Years ago he had a bantam - sweet little thing. It used to fly at

him,
spurs at the ready trying to attack every time he went near it. In

the end
he had to carry a tennis racket with him and swat it to the other

end of the
run before he could get the eggs!

:-)) Years ago I had a rooster that did the same thing to me. I
called him Darryl after a swaggering but good looking fellow I worked
with who had a similar rooster-like focus on women.

I once had Darryl fly at me and rip my calf to shreds. Unfortunately
for Darryl there was piece of 4x2 lying next to me when he attacked
and I swung it and knocked poor old Darryl unconscious. I thought I'd
killed the poor thing but he came to and was as good (or is that as
bad?) as ever. I eventually had to do him in because he was so
dangerous but he got the final revenge as he was as tough as an old
boot.

If I had a chicken like that he would have been on the table before he could
say no!

I was bought up to keep rabbits and chickens and they were primarily for the
table, not as pets.

Alan

Old 12-01-2007, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/1/07 22:43, in article

"Sacha" wrote in message

[...]

Not if (s)he has been following this thread!

Alan

Old 12-01-2007, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

Well if it's any consolation to him, Darryl was not a bantie :-)) The
foxes did for my banties (Chloe and Creswell) because the silly things
would roost in trees rather than go into the chook house at night.

One of my neighbours tried to keep ducks unbeknown to me, and I kept finding
eggs buried in the ground, couldn't understand where they were coming from,
then one day found half a duck, and then I found out this neighbour had been
trying to keep them, apparently unaware that there were foxes all around.

Alan

Old 14-01-2007, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

There is nothing particularly vicious about bantams as opposed to large
fowl. Occasionally you do get a mean cockerel, but that has nothing to
do with size. However, you are more likely to get a mean Asil, Shamo or
Malay than a mean Buff Orpington.

The disadvantage of having bantams is that their eggs are around half
the size of normal eggs (I know someone who sold their bantam's eggs as
toddler eggs at the farmers market and they sold rather well). However,
they eat less, and you can get more into an area than large fowl.

You say you want a white bantam. A few words of advice:
1. White chickens get filthy. I used to have a couple of white hens and
I have to say never again because they both took on a shade not
dissimilar to that of the soil.
2. You need more than one as it is not fair to keep them alone.
Chickens are flock animals.

You have a lot of options on breeds. Things you need to consider a
1. Do you want feathered feet? They tend to get filthy if they are in a
muddy run, and chickens dig up grass extrodinarily fast.
2. How important is the number of eggs that they lay? Some breeds lay
more than others.
3. What colour eggs? Pick from white, brown or blue/green. However,
there are only two breeds that lay blue/green eggs.
4. I'm assuming you want them as pets. Therefore, friendliness is going
to be high on the agenda. Some breeds are flightier than others.
5. How important are looks to you? You can get chickens with feathers
that look like fur, crests (poofy bits on top of their heads), no
feathers on their necks, feathers that turn backwards and more.

Let me know your answers to these questions and I will suggest a few
breeds.

Also, I learnt almost everything I know about chickens (which is a lot)
at http://p072.ezboard.com/bbackyardchickens where I am known as V Chic
Chick.

I have been writing down a lot of the information I know at
www.allaboutchickens.tk

Hope that helps,
Helena.

Sacha wrote:

On 12/1/07 17:54, in article , "Keith
(Dorset)" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message news:C1CC740E.40D04%

I wonder if the OP is still going to get some dear little bantams.....

Well.... Sacha,

firstly, Many Happy Returns.

Thank you very much!

'OP' is indeed a bit 'OP'

Off Put that is - especially as I wear shorts for about seven months of the
year, naturally with sandals and no socks.

Now I'm off to Ebay to find some cricket pads! ;-)

Ouch! I'd suggest a full diving suit......

More questions about bantams and rat-proof hen feeders coming soon.

Keith

Ahha! So not entirely OP then. ;-)
--
Sacha