Old 11-01-2007, 07:22 AM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

Default PVL+ MRSA Superbug hits Wales

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 09:14:38 -0000, "Pat Gardiner"
wrote:

Pat's Note: Just to remind you, the Dutch have specifically linked

this to
the handling of pigs and pork since 2003, they have hundreds of such

people
infected. All vets, pig and pork workers are screened on or before

entering
hospital.

I'm taking the whole thing one step further and linking the

deplorable
longstanding British pig health problems to this.

Britain been struggling to cope with disease, and exporting circovirus

infected pigs for seven years.

We now know that Britain knew they had a new pig epidemic on their

hands in
1999 and even then were suspicious that it might pose a threat to

human
health. They only plan to investigate human health risks from

livestock this
year.

Incidentally few of the British reports are actually consistent. One

wonders
of they have a clue about just what they are handling.

They should be making PMWS - Circovirus notifiable and checking all

vets and
pig/pork workers for zoonotic diseases including MRSA PCL right now

without
delay.

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0100n...name_page.html

Deadly new superbug hits Wales

Jan 10 2007

Madeleine Brindley, Western Mail

A PATIENT has been admitted to a Welsh hospital suffering from the

new,
potentially lethal superbug PVL-positive MRSA.

This is the same bug that killed a nurse and a patient in the West

Midlands
last year, and is thought to be one of the first cases of its kind in

Wales.

The patient is being treated at Prince Charles Hospital in Merthyr

Tydfil.
It is understood that the patient, who has not been named, acquired

the bug
in the community - there is no evidence currently that it was caught

in a
healthcare setting.

The PVL toxin destroys white blood cells. PVL-positive MRSA commonly

causes
skin infections, such as cellulitis (inflammation of layers under the

skin)
and pus-producing conditions like abscesses, boils and carbuncles.

On very rare occasions it can lead to more severe infections, such as

septic
arthritis, blood poisoning or necrotising pneumonia - a severe,
life-threatening form of pneumonia.

A joint statement from Paul Hollard, interim chief executive of North

Glamorgan NHS Trust, and the National Public Health Service for

Wales, last
night said, "A patient with community-acquired Panton-Valentine

Leukocidin
(PVL)-positive MRSA has been admitted to Prince Charles Hospital,

Merthyr
Tydfil.

"The trust has liaised with the Health Protection Agency and the

National
Public Health Service for Wales and the appropriate infection control

procedures have been put in place.

"The patient is comfortable and receiving appropriate treatment."
PVL is a toxin that is carried by about 2% of Staphylococcus aureus
bacteria, including the antibiotic-resistant strains MRSA
(methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus) and MSSA
(methicillin-sensitive Staphylococcus aureus).

But unlike MRSA and MSSA, with which the public have become familiar

as the
number of cases in hospitals has risen over the years, PVL-producing

strains
can affect previously healthy young children and young adults. People

tend
to become infected in the community.
This is in stark contrast to so-called hospital-associated MRSA and

MSSA
strains, which do not produce PVL, and affect more elderly and

debilitated
patients.

Dr Eleri Davies, director of the Welsh Healthcare Associated

Infection
Programme for the National Public Health Service for Wales, said,

"The rate
of transmission is the same for PVL-producing strains as it is for

other
Staphylococcus aureus infections - some infections will be caused by

our own
bacteria getting into a breach in the skin, such as a graze or a

picked
spot, or through transmission between close family members."

Until recently most cases of PVL-related infections were caused by
PVL-positive strains of MSSA, which was common in hospitals in the

1950s and
1960s.

But experts have recently become aware of a small number of cases,

like the
one at Prince Charles Hospital, of PVL-positive MRSA infections.

It is thought that these new strains have evolved from PVL-positive

MSSA.

The Health Protection Agency is aware of seven deaths in England and

Wales
associated with PVL-positive MRSA in the last two years, including

the two
deaths at the University Hospital of North Staffordshire last year.

The West Midlands cases were unique in that they were the first cases

of
PVL-positive MRSA that had been transmitted in a hospital or

healthcare
setting in the UK. Nine other people, including another patient, were

infected in the same outbreak.

In most of the other deaths attributed to PVL-positive MRSA, the

infections
were caught in the community.

Last month six babies in a hospital neonatal unit in Norfolk tested

positive
for a strain of PVL-positive MSSA. One of the babies, who was born

very
premature and was extremely sick, died after contracting the

infection.

The HPA website states, "While PVL-producing MRSA can cause more

serious
infection, we have no evidence to suggest it is more dangerous than

some
other types of MRSA.

"Indeed, some previous and more recent data suggests that the PVL

gene may
not be the main virulence factor even in PVL strains.

"PVL-positive MRSA has not been shown to spread more rapidly than any

of the
usual hospital-associated MRSA organisms.
"There is no indication that current PVL-positive MRSA strains are

more
transmissible than other MRSA strains.

"Persons with recurrent skin infections - spreading inflammation
[cellulitis], boils and abscesses - should seek medical advice.
"Standard treatment and infection control measures are highly

effective."

PVL-positive MRSA can be treated with antibiotics, even though it is
resistant to methicillin. But the HPA said it was important that the
infection is diagnosed early.

As with MRSA, good hygiene is important to stop the infection

spreading to
other patients and hospital staff.

"The HPA said thorough hand-washing and drying, and the use of

alcoholic
hand rubs are the most important measures in reducing cross-infection

in
both the community and the hospital.

Its website also states, "The infection control measures used to

prevent the
spread of PVL-positive MRSA are the same as for any type of MRSA

infection.

"Standard infection control measures are effective and the most

important
first line of defence."

What is quite sad, is just how apathetic the public is. One thing
after the other is thrown at them, and not a peep. It's about time we
started lynching the dirty farming folk causing these filthy problems,
and killing our families. Then we can start on the politicians.

I think a cull of creepy benefit ponces like Jim Webster would be
perfectly justified. I look forward to the *MAd Max* era, when these
kind of people will get their just desserts. I don't suppose it's that
far off.
--

***************************
"Think occasionally of the suffering of which you

Check out Animal Aid's brand new one-minute video.
This powerful film, containing shocking images,
just begs to be seen by as many people as possible.
Help raise awareness by sending it to your friends
and family. http://tinyurl.com/yjmxo2

The logic some people use for not attending church, is used to avoid
washing

1.I was forced to as a child.
2.People who make soap are only after your money.
3.I wash on special occasions like Christmas and Easter.
4.People who wash are hypocrites-they think they are cleaner than
everyone else.
5.There are so many different kinds of soap,I can't decide which one is
best.
6.I used to wash, but it got boring so I stopped.
7.None of my friends wash.
8.The bathroom is never warm enough in the winter or cool enough in the
summer.
9.I'll start washing when I get older and dirtier.
10.I can't spare the time .

Old 11-01-2007, 08:16 AM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

wrote:

[...]

Think of the taxes we'd save.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:42 AM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

"Geoff" wrote in message
oups.com...

What is quite sad, is just how apathetic the public is. One thing
after the other is thrown at them, and not a peep. It's about time we
started lynching the dirty farming folk causing these filthy problems,
and killing our families. Then we can start on the politicians.

I think a cull of creepy benefit ponces like Jim Webster would be
perfectly justified. I look forward to the *MAd Max* era, when these
kind of people will get their just desserts. I don't suppose it's that
far off.

the trouble for saddos like pete is that he will actually be forced to deal
in person in a mad max era, he cannot hide behind his sock puppets

Mind you, his trade in digging up corpses might serve him a useful turn

never mind, time to kilfile this sock puppet as well,

see ya pete (did you hear on the radio that the police are stepping up their
survaillance of the internet with animal rights terrorists in mind)

Better get the finger prints off your spade

Bye

Old 11-01-2007, 09:02 AM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 08:42:55 -0000, "Jim Webster"
wrote:

"Geoff" wrote in message
roups.com...

[...]

Another nice, extremist CLA response.

Perhaps we should post Mr Webster's (and sock puppets) to his
employees, in whatever form they take. I'd appreciate a list of people
Mr Webster, has, is, or liable to work for so that we can make them
aware of his extremist views against society, and non farming folk.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:58 AM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

Jim Webster writes
the trouble for saddos like pete is that he will actually be forced to deal
in person in a mad max era, he cannot hide behind his sock puppets

The thing about mad max times is that there is no law to restrain the
majority from dealing with irritating individuals.

--
Oz

Old 11-01-2007, 10:08 AM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 09:58:28 +0000, Oz
wrote:

Jim Webster writes
the trouble for saddos like pete is that he will actually be forced to deal
in person in a mad max era, he cannot hide behind his sock puppets

The thing about mad max times is that there is no law

Yes. Laws, never was too keen on them were you!

to restrain the
majority from dealing with irritating individuals.

Lucky for your kind it's not here yet!
Old 11-01-2007, 10:27 AM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

"Oz" wrote in message
news
Jim Webster writes
the trouble for saddos like pete is that he will actually be forced to
deal
in person in a mad max era, he cannot hide behind his sock puppets

The thing about mad max times is that there is no law to restrain the
majority from dealing with irritating individuals.

:-)))

not only that but can you imagine pete having any skills useful in that sort
of environment.

Jim Webster

Old 11-01-2007, 11:03 AM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 10:27:28 -0000, "Jim Webster"
wrote:

"Oz" wrote in message
news
Jim Webster writes
the trouble for saddos like pete is that he will actually be forced to
deal
in person in a mad max era, he cannot hide behind his sock puppets

The thing about mad max times is that there is no law to restrain the
majority from dealing with irritating individuals.

:-)))

not only that but can you imagine pete having any skills useful in that sort
of environment.

In what? Dealing with overweight bullies, afraid to go out after dark!
Do us a favour...lol

Old 11-01-2007, 11:45 AM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 10:27:28 -0000, "Jim Webster"
wrote:

"Oz" wrote in message
news
Jim Webster writes
the trouble for saddos like pete is that he will actually be forced to
deal
in person in a mad max era, he cannot hide behind his sock puppets

The thing about mad max times is that there is no law to restrain the
majority from dealing with irritating individuals.

:-)))

not only that but can you imagine pete having any skills useful in that sort
of environment.

Jim Webster

I can. He seems to be running rings round you lot here, that's for
sure.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:06 PM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

"Jill" wrote in message
On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 10:27:28 -0000, "Jim Webster"
wrote:

"Oz" wrote in message
news
Jim Webster writes
the trouble for saddos like pete is that he will actually be forced to
deal
in person in a mad max era, he cannot hide behind his sock puppets

The thing about mad max times is that there is no law to restrain the
majority from dealing with irritating individuals.

:-)))

not only that but can you imagine pete having any skills useful in that
sort
of environment.

Jim Webster

I can. He seems to be running rings round you lot here, that's for
sure.

another sad sockpuppet, never mind pete, one day a real person will talk to
you

good bye

Jim

Old 11-01-2007, 08:15 PM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

Jim Webster writes
not only that but can you imagine pete having any skills useful in that sort
of environment.

slaves can usually be induced to do enough to be worth feeding.

if not, well....

--
Oz

Old 11-01-2007, 08:41 PM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 20:15:41 +0000, Oz
wrote:

Jim Webster writes
not only that but can you imagine pete having any skills useful in that sort
of environment.

slaves can usually be induced to do enough to be worth feeding.

Not sure you'd be worth it. What manual work could you do to justify
one feeding you? The performance you and your extremist friends give
us here, wouldn't qualify for a bag of monkey nuts PA, between you.

Any more and I suppose it could affect your state benefits.

if not, well....

Don't worry, we'll find something for you to earn a crust.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:52 PM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

"Oz" wrote in message
Jim Webster writes
not only that but can you imagine pete having any skills useful in that
sort
of environment.

slaves can usually be induced to do enough to be worth feeding.

if not, well....

wonder if he could cope with pulling a plough

Jim Webster