Old 22-12-2006, 06:27 PM posted to uk.business.agriculture,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

Default UK farms superbug 'link' probed

"Welsh Witch" wrote in message

"One of the keys to solving this problem is to use antibiotics as little
as
possible."

Best way is to go veggie, then we wouldn't need to buy this "unfit for
human consumption" garbage, that lazy farmers, like webster and co
inflict on the world. I'm surprised more of them are not locked up!

***********************************
Go veggie...

http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co....pNodeId=139317
dangerous things these arable crops
FARMING CHANGES LEAD TO ALLERGIES
Next Story | Previous Story | Back to list

10:30 - 21 December 2006
A Leading agriculturalist says changes in farming practice are almost
certainly responsible for an increase in food allergies in the UK.Speaking
at a conference on food and healthy eating, Patrick Holden, director of the
Soil Association, said changes in cereal production and the manufacture of
bread particularly, have caused an increase in wheat allergies.

Mr Holden told the conference at the Royal Agricultural College,
Cirencester, that he spoke to another expert who felt the same.

"Changes in farming practice are a causative factor in allergies," he
said.

His comments came after he gave a talk to the conference and was
questioned by audience members.

The one-day conference also heard Professor Robert Pickard, director
general of the British Nutrition Foundation, talk about the importance of
achieving nutritional balance in what people eat.

-------------

consumers ought to cut back on the amount of grain etc that they eat,
perhaps reducing their daily calorie intake

Jim Webster

Old 23-12-2006, 01:01 PM posted to uk.business.agriculture,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 18:27:06 +0000, Jim Webster wrote:

[...]

*******************************
It is extraordinary that so many people are suddenly becoming allergic or
intolerant of grain, usually in the shape of wheat but not always and only
and milk.
A number of farmers are suffering from very strange nerve anomalies some
have been awarded compensation as there's talk of it being related to
the organo-phosphates used in sheep dip etc.
I think a similar substance is used on crops as a herbicide/insecticide
but not sure!
If you drive into a farm supplies merchant the number of
adverts. for jabs etc for a variety of bugs beetles and toads is quite
incredible. I expect confronted with warble fly or some such its would be
hard to resist the ease with which it can be despatched with a patent
medicine!
I expect a few people have been reading the www.notmilk.com website and
had the newsletters...they have succeeded in turning my partner right off
milk!
There have been pages in the papers about the scams of food sold to us as
organic but not, and "wild" salmon which is farm bred and sprayed with
organo-phosphates etc.

Surely we are lucky to be interested in gardening
which leads us on to other problems.... When in the garden planting etc
its quite disconcerting to come within the spraying range from next door
with their great machine spewing out something noxious on to their
crops and my back..I suppose one can be thankful it's not liquid manu-)

PS Oh I hope you having huge fun with my "month" spelling don't be like
the small boy who couldn't understand why he shouldn't go into
a private room for "young mothers", he being interested in the species:-)
*******************

Old 23-12-2006, 02:23 PM posted to uk.business.agriculture,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

"Welsh Witch" wrote in message
news
[...]

Lactose intolerance and Gluten intolerance are both older than spraying

A number of farmers are suffering from very strange nerve anomalies some
have been awarded compensation as there's talk of it being related to
the organo-phosphates used in sheep dip etc.
I think a similar substance is used on crops as a herbicide/insecticide
but not sure!

Actually it is recommended for the use of head lice in school children and
for use on pets as well

If you drive into a farm supplies merchant the number of
adverts. for jabs etc for a variety of bugs beetles and toads is quite
incredible. I expect confronted with warble fly or some such its would be
hard to resist the ease with which it can be despatched with a patent
medicine!

it is exceedingly difficult to despatch warble fly with patent medicine, as
it has been pretty well erradicated in the UK. Having lived through the
patent medicine era, I can assure you that it didn't respond to treatment

I expect a few people have been reading the www.notmilk.com website and
had the newsletters...they have succeeded in turning my partner right off
milk!

anyone who believes that site is lacking in the ability to do their own
basic research

There have been pages in the papers about the scams of food sold to us as
organic but not, and "wild" salmon which is farm bred and sprayed with
organo-phosphates etc.

Surely we are lucky to be interested in gardening
which leads us on to other problems.... When in the garden planting etc
its quite disconcerting to come within the spraying range from next door
with their great machine spewing out something noxious on to their
crops and my back..I suppose one can be thankful it's not liquid manu-)

what do you think is the foundation of organic production if not liquid
manure?

PS Oh I hope you having huge fun with my "month" spelling don't be like
the small boy who couldn't understand why he shouldn't go into
a private room for "young mothers", he being interested in the species:-)

it was just one of those joyful errors we all make from time to time,
providing honest merriment but hopefully no rancor

Jim Webster

Old 23-12-2006, 04:57 PM posted to uk.business.agriculture,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 14:23:29 -0000, "Jim Webster"
wrote:

[...]

That may well be the case, but then we didn't have the sprays to
trigger the problems. We now do!

The dumbest thing is, to see the farmers, more than happy to feed
their own family these toxins!

[...]

It's a very good site, and thoroughly recommended. What would you know
about research, how could you, with your head buried in the sand?

[...]

Spite and bullying is your trademark.

Old 24-12-2006, 01:20 AM posted to uk.business.agriculture,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

[...]

**************************
Then we've been lucky only just met it!

[...]

******************************
I don;t know anything much about warble fly except that I see huge banner
advertisement on the railings outside the farm supplies shop where we get
our dog food.. dogs who thankfully don't get warble fly
[...]

************************************************** **** Yes indeed, but I
can't say it would be delightful to be sprayed with effluent as was the
chap in tonight's "You've been framed.

PS Oh I hope you having huge fun with my "month" spelling don't be like
the small boy who couldn't understand why he shouldn't go into a
private room for "young mothers", he being interested in the species:-)

it was just one of those joyful errors we all make from time to time,
providing honest merriment but hopefully no rancor

******************************
Good lord of course not...we have to take a lot of ribbing of all sorts
being Welsh and so fond of sheep!
********************************

Jim Webster

Old 24-12-2006, 01:28 AM posted to uk.business.agriculture,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

[...]

I know "they" are recommending the treatment for headlice in
schoolchildren. How horrendous. It was reported in our local paper tha a
farmer who had nerve damage from using organo phosphates has been awarded
substantial compensation.(Welshpool)
*********************

Old 24-12-2006, 07:10 AM posted to uk.business.agriculture,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

"Welsh Witch" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 14:23:29 +0000, Jim Webster wrote:
Lactose intolerance and Gluten intolerance are both older than spraying

**************************
Then we've been lucky only just met it!

I'm surprised you've not met them early, certainly lactose intolerance is
almost the norm amongst some racial types. Europeans are unusual in being
able to drink liquid milk and cope with the lactose so well

it is exceedingly difficult to despatch warble fly with patent medicine,

as
it has been pretty well erradicated in the UK. Having lived through the
patent medicine era, I can assure you that it didn't respond to treatment

******************************
I don;t know anything much about warble fly except that I see huge banner
advertisement on the railings outside the farm supplies shop where we get
our dog food.. dogs who thankfully don't get warble fly

when did you see the banners because warble fly have been pretty well
erradicated in the UK for over twenty years. Certainly there haven't been
any big stories in the farming press about a come back, so pushing a
compound as a warble fly treatment is not aimed at farmers.

[...]

While I wouldn't recommend it as an aftershave, what on earth are they
supposed to do with it? Indeed one of the biggest threats to sustainability
is the fact that human effluent is not returned to the land, but flushed
away

Jim Webster

Old 24-12-2006, 07:12 AM posted to uk.business.agriculture,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

"Welsh Witch" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 14:23:29 +0000, Jim Webster wrote:

********************************
I know "they" are recommending the treatment for headlice in
schoolchildren. How horrendous. It was reported in our local paper tha a
farmer who had nerve damage from using organo phosphates has been awarded
substantial compensation.(Welshpool)
*********************

If you are interested in organophosphates, look up 'Brenda Sutcliffe' she
has two booklets out. A search for "cause and effect" and "the search for
truth" should find them.

The big problem with organophosphates is that their use in cattle was
compulsory, and that in sheep, for fly strike, pretty much nothing else
works

Jim Webster

Old 24-12-2006, 08:40 AM posted to uk.business.agriculture,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

Jim Webster writes

"Welsh Witch" wrote in message
Mr Holden told the conference at the Royal Agricultural College,
Cirencester, that he spoke to another expert who felt the same.

"Changes in farming practice are a causative factor in allergies,"
he
said.

1) The only link so far shown for the increase in allergies is an
increase in hygiene levels.

2) Of course farmers have used pesticides for centuries, usually very
toxic ones like heavy metals or tars. Today these are not allowed
because they fail safety requirements (like most of the 'organic-
approved' pesticides of the recent past).

3) Strangely I know of no farmers with allergies, and no farming
children with allergies (including farm workers).

4) Those I know with allergies come exclusively from food-fad families.
These are typically quasi-vegetarian and buy organic wherever possible.

It is extraordinary that so many people are suddenly becoming allergic or
intolerant of grain, usually in the shape of wheat but not always and only
and milk.

Lactose intolerance and Gluten intolerance are both older than spraying

Indeed so.

A number of farmers are suffering from very strange nerve anomalies some
have been awarded compensation as there's talk of it being related to
the organo-phosphates used in sheep dip etc.
I think a similar substance is used on crops as a herbicide/insecticide
but not sure!

Actually it is recommended for the use of head lice in school children and
for use on pets as well

This is so. Very effective and actually very safe.
Synthetic pyrethroids are also commonly used against insects.

If you drive into a farm supplies merchant the number of
adverts. for jabs etc for a variety of bugs beetles and toads is quite
incredible.

I've never, ever, seen an advert for toad killers.

I expect confronted with warble fly or some such its would be
hard to resist the ease with which it can be despatched with a patent
medicine!

it is exceedingly difficult to despatch warble fly with patent medicine,

Incorrect. Its impossible. You can, in a dairy herd, if you catch them
just right, pop them out as they are starting to emerge and crush them
underfoot. Needs concrete though as they are surprisingly tough.

as
it has been pretty well erradicated in the UK.

Hasn't it been eradicated completely?

Having lived through the
patent medicine era, I can assure you that it didn't respond to treatment

Not at all. Like most pre-1950 products, they didn't work at all.

I expect a few people have been reading the www.notmilk.com website and
had the newsletters...they have succeeded in turning my partner right off
milk!

anyone who believes that site is lacking in the ability to do their own
basic research

They are lacking in any brain cells at all.
Gullible in the extreme.

There have been pages in the papers about the scams of food sold to us as
organic but not, and "wild" salmon which is farm bred and sprayed with
organo-phosphates etc.

Some is just out-and-out fraud where all parties make more money
'converting' not-organic-approved produce into organic-approved.

Some is just survival. If you are a modest organic producer in africa,
spain or even wales, then you are probably living of very little money
at all. Your main crop develops a pest or disease. You pray it goes away
because if not your produce is unsaleable and you are bust. It doesn't
until it gets to the latest possible point. Its tempting to go out one
night and spray the pests off. You probably do (nobody will ever know).
Trouble is you have waited a long time, unlike the conventional farmer
who sprays at the right time, so residues are high, probably high enough
to detect. Ooops...

Surely we are lucky to be interested in gardening
which leads us on to other problems.... When in the garden planting etc
its quite disconcerting to come within the spraying range from next door
with their great machine spewing out something noxious on to their
crops and my back..

Improbable in the UK. Its quite easy to check how much drift your local
farmer has by observing how far away from the crop the weeds haven't
been killed. I've never seen them killed more than 30cm from the crop,
and even trace effects never more than a couple of ft.

I suppose one can be thankful it's not liquid manu-)

what do you think is the foundation of organic production if not liquid
manure?

Absolutely.
You could probably pay them to apply it directly to your garden.

--
Oz

Old 24-12-2006, 08:44 AM posted to uk.business.agriculture,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

Jim Webster writes

"Welsh Witch" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 14:23:29 +0000, Jim Webster wrote:
Lactose intolerance and Gluten intolerance are both older than spraying

**************************
Then we've been lucky only just met it!

I'm surprised you've not met them early, certainly lactose intolerance is
almost the norm amongst some racial types. Europeans are unusual in being
able to drink liquid milk and cope with the lactose so well

Its rare amongst people descended from pastoral societies, which is most
of western europe, the middle east and africa. Its quite common
elsewhere, particularly the far east (ie east of vietnam etc). I think
american indians are mostly not intolerant.

--
Oz

Old 24-12-2006, 08:48 AM posted to uk.business.agriculture,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

Welsh Witch writes

I know "they" are recommending the treatment for headlice in
schoolchildren. How horrendous.

Not at all, it works, its safe.
I used it on my kids when they (inevitably) caught nits at school.

It was reported in our local paper tha a
farmer who had nerve damage from using organo phosphates has been awarded
substantial compensation.(Welshpool)

Spending several days drenched in sheepdip inside hot rubber coveralls
year after year and probably drinking quite a bit when splashed etc is
not recommended.

--
Oz

Old 24-12-2006, 12:49 PM posted to uk.business.agriculture,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

"Oz" wrote in message
Jim Webster writes

"Welsh Witch" wrote in message
Mr Holden told the conference at the Royal Agricultural College,
Cirencester, that he spoke to another expert who felt the same.

"Changes in farming practice are a causative factor in
allergies,"
he
said.

1) The only link so far shown for the increase in allergies is an
increase in hygiene levels.

yes, the old advice of 'eat a peck of earth before you die' was good advice

[...]

one of my jobs as a kid.

as
it has been pretty well erradicated in the UK.

Hasn't it been eradicated completely?

I think so, but am not 100% certain that there isn't some lingering
somewhere. From memory the hides trade haven't complained and they would be
the people to flag it up. Mind you because we no longer have a tanning
industry, virtually everything going for export, it might be missed

[...]

that has been a major issue, because there isn't actually any way of telling
organic and convention produce appart, hence how do you prove someone has
been doing the 'conversion'

Jim Webster

Old 24-12-2006, 01:09 PM posted to uk.business.agriculture,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

Jim Webster writes

that has been a major issue, because there isn't actually any way of telling
organic and convention produce appart, hence how do you prove someone has
been doing the 'conversion'

With great difficulty.

For example you could have a circular trade between various suppliers
each exporting organic to the others but each adding 10% non-approved.
One could quite quickly end up with several times the original quantity
but the documentation would suggest any infringement was quite minor.

--
Oz

Old 24-12-2006, 02:13 PM posted to uk.business.agriculture,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

"Oz" wrote in message
Jim Webster writes

that has been a major issue, because there isn't actually any way of
telling
organic and convention produce appart, hence how do you prove someone has
been doing the 'conversion'

With great difficulty.

For example you could have a circular trade between various suppliers
each exporting organic to the others but each adding 10% non-approved.
One could quite quickly end up with several times the original quantity
but the documentation would suggest any infringement was quite minor.

it is probably too late to set up organic standards that were based on
rationally defined rules.
For example it would be comparatively easy to say that organic must not be
GM (at least where you can test for DNA) assuming that you feel that GM is
'a bad thing'.

But insisting organic is defined by practices which leave no traces on the
product is a bit silly.
An example is chemical residues. The regular tests done by government show
that imported produce is the biggest source of residues, not home produced,
whether organic or conventional

Jim Webster

Old 25-12-2006, 02:23 AM posted to uk.business.agriculture,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

Quoting from message
posted on 24 Dec 2006 by Jim Webster
I would like to add:

yes, the old advice of 'eat a peck of earth before you die' was good advice

"Peck o' muck" isn't it?

--
..ElaineJ. Briallen Gifts/Cards catalogue at http://www.briallen.co.uk
..Virtual. Corn Dollies, Cards, Coasters, Mousemats, Kids' Tshirts