Old 06-12-2007, 09:12 AM posted to uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

Default Piggy MRSA outbreak in Scotland?

On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 00:38:15 GMT, Elaine Jones
wrote:

Quoting from message
posted on 5 Dec 2007 by Jim Webster
I would like to add:

"Oh No" wrote in message
Thus spake Jim Webster

"Malcolm" wrote in message

In article , Pat Gardiner
writes
Pat's Note:

I'll bet my cotton socks

So you do go in for betting on your predictions!

raise him two pairs of cotton socks and see if he'll fold ;-))

Bet your shirt, and see if he'll do the ironing

LOL
Brenda would probably approve of that one ;-))

We live on the wrong side of the hill so tumble dryer is essential in
winter.

A tumble dryer must be the most unessential item known to man. Haven't
used one for many years and don't miss it, or the bills at all. Get
yourself some decent airers and the clothes will be dry in a day
(inside). Ideally you'd also have those ceiling airers which you
pulled up on string of old. See
http://www.thegoodcook.co.uk/acatalo...ng_airers.html

although they apparently are now a designer accessory and attract a
premium these days.

Regardless of the season certain fabrics, dried in the tumble dryer
and removed whilst warm, don't need ironing,

Exactly the same can be said for coming out of the washing machine.
Hang them straight away to air dry and no iron required. (though the
boys n gals of this household sometime insist an iron is necessary,
but I think that's on principle)

for terry
nappies tumble drier is a must (Child never had a spotty bottom and I
worked a system on 18 nappies, not the 36 as recommended).

Again untrue, although you will need more to rotate.

Trousers which need a crease (very rarely for Jones) fold carefully
and put under mattress pad overnight (don't think this would work if
you just have a bottom sheet).

Hmm haven't gone that far yet.

Dishwashers are equally unnecessary unless of course you don't mind
throwing money down the drain, let alone the Eco costs.

The tumble dryer was the hardest thing for our household to get rid
of, it took many arguments but now we would never go back.

See how much you're wasting here
http://www.ukpower.co.uk/running-costs-elec.asp

These days manufacturers no longer sell things we need, they sell
things they think we are stupid enough to buy.Electric dishwashers,
bread knives, bottle openers............

The incoming recession will sort that idea out though.

--

My greatest speech to the peasants
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=em7LWuP0T7Q

pam the SPAMMERS send an email to
Old 07-12-2007, 01:23 PM posted to uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

"Adenoid Hynkel ." wrote in message
A tumble dryer must be the most unessential item known to man. Haven't
used one for many years and don't miss it, or the bills at all. Get
yourself some decent airers and the clothes will be dry in a day
(inside).

It's worth thinking about where the water goes when drying clothes in doors.
The air can only hold so much water so if it isn't condensing out causing
damp then that means you have sufficient ventilation.

What about days when you aren't drying clothes? Do you close the vents? If
not then you probably have too much ventilation on those non-washing days
and might still be wasting energy.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:44 PM posted to uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 13:23:57 -0000, "CWatters"
wrote:

"Adenoid Hynkel ." wrote in message
.. .
A tumble dryer must be the most unessential item known to man. Haven't
used one for many years and don't miss it, or the bills at all. Get
yourself some decent airers and the clothes will be dry in a day
(inside).

It's worth thinking about where the water goes when drying clothes in doors.
The air can only hold so much water so if it isn't condensing out causing
damp then that means you have sufficient ventilation.

Good point. Ventilation is key, we always have windows open although I
am amazed how often people seem to have an aversion to fresh air these
days. Sissies.

What about days when you aren't drying clothes? Do you close the vents? If
not then you probably have too much ventilation on those non-washing days
and might still be wasting energy.

We have heating on timers anyway. As long as you don't walk around in
T-shirts and shorts all day it's fine.

The windows don't need to be open all day, just a few times a day.
Ours are usually open all morning in one form or another. If you see
condensation anywhere then there is not enough ventilation.

Old 08-12-2007, 03:36 PM posted to uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

"CWatters" wrote in message

"Adenoid Hynkel ." wrote in message
A tumble dryer must be the most unessential item known to man. Haven't
used one for many years and don't miss it, or the bills at all. Get
yourself some decent airers and the clothes will be dry in a day
(inside).

It's worth thinking about where the water goes when drying clothes in
doors.
The air can only hold so much water so if it isn't condensing out causing
damp then that means you have sufficient ventilation.

What about days when you aren't drying clothes? Do you close the vents? If
not then you probably have too much ventilation on those non-washing days
and might still be wasting energy.

I agree - I put my damp washing on an airer on the landing, with the bedding
over the bannister. In winter, with the heating on, it dries in no time and
doesn't use any more energy. Yes, the water has to go somewhere, but I've
never had any problem with dampness, even with all the windows closed ....
and a closed, centrally-heated house is, if anything, too dry.

What has this got to do with and mrsa outbreak in Scotland, then?

Barb UK

Old 08-12-2007, 05:12 PM posted to uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 15:36:51 -0000, "Barb"
wrote:

"CWatters" wrote in message

[...]

We have just had our loft insulated with the most recent guideline
insulation. Instead of just one 6 inch layer on a roll, they now put
two layers of about 20inches in all and boy does it work. The loft is
stone cold now, we only commenting a while back how warm it was up
there/ More importantly upstairs is now boiling and great for airing!

What has this got to do with and mrsa outbreak in Scotland, then?

I give in!

Old 08-12-2007, 05:51 PM posted to uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

Barb wrote:

I agree - I put my damp washing on an airer on the landing, with the bedding
over the bannister. In winter, with the heating on, it dries in no time and
doesn't use any more energy. Yes, the water has to go somewhere, but I've
never had any problem with dampness, even with all the windows closed ....
and a closed, centrally-heated house is, if anything, too dry.

What has this got to do with and mrsa outbreak in Scotland, then?

It is called "thread drift". :-)

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

Old 09-12-2007, 10:58 AM posted to uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

Default Piggy MRSA outbreak in Scotland OR airing laundry.

wrote:

"Adenoid Hynkel ." wrote in message
. ..
[...]

We seem to get better results drying indoors than outdoors, clothes
appear softer. On the line outside they tend to go stiff, we don't use
any softener either.

We also use Eco Balls http://www.ecoballsdirect.co.uk/ for everything
apart from our smalls and have no complaints. Must have cut our soap
powder usage down by 90% and saved us a few bob in the process.

Old 09-12-2007, 01:17 PM posted to uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

Default Piggy MRSA outbreak in Scotland AND LAUNDRY!!

We seem to get better results drying indoors than outdoors, clothes
appear softer. On the line outside they tend to go stiff, we don't use
any softener either.

We also use Eco Balls http://www.ecoballsdirect.co.uk/ for everything
apart from our smalls and have no complaints. Must have cut our soap
powder usage down by 90% and saved us a few bob in the process.

Yes, I get the same result! And with our weather, it's not too often you
can hang out washing and go off and leave it ...

I used Eco Balls for a while, because I get terrible skin irritation from
all the cr*p they put in stuff these days. I now use a really economical
plant-based washing liquid from MyPure, which does the job really well, and
I don't have to separate the things that need "real" washing (!!!).

I can't use fabric conditioner, for the same reason, but I put in a few
ounces of apple vinegar in the rinse drawer - this softens the clothes
remarkebly well, and kills of fungi & stuff. Any residual vinegar smell
soon goes away and laundry smells fresh.

Better for me, better for my machine, better for the environment!!!

Wow, this is really, really far from pigs now ....!!!

Barb UK

Old 09-12-2007, 01:34 PM posted to uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

On Sun, 9 Dec 2007 13:17:14 -0000, "Barb"
wrote:

[...]

Must try that one :-)

this softens the clothes
remarkebly well, and kills of fungi & stuff. Any residual vinegar smell
soon goes away and laundry smells fresh.

Better for me, better for my machine, better for the environment!!!

Wow, this is really, really far from pigs now ....!!!

That's the joy of life and just like down the pub socializing. Mind
you I cant remember when we last spoke about pigs and laundry LOL

Old 09-12-2007, 01:50 PM posted to uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

"Barb" wrote in message

[...]

To considerable relief in some quarters, I'm sure.

However, there are solutions.

--
Regards
Pat Gardiner

Barb UK

Old 10-12-2007, 08:56 AM posted to uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

"Malcolm" wrote in message
On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 15:36:51 -0000, "Barb"
wrote:

snip

We have just had our loft insulated with the most recent guideline
insulation. Instead of just one 6 inch layer on a roll, they now put
two layers of about 20inches in all and boy does it work. The loft is
stone cold now, we only commenting a while back how warm it was up
there/ More importantly upstairs is now boiling and great for airing!

Make sure any water pipes/tanks in the loft are properly insulated. Now that
the space is colder there is more risk of freezing up there.

Richard

Old 10-12-2007, 09:01 AM posted to uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 08:56:58 GMT, "Richard Corbett"
wrote:

"Malcolm" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 15:36:51 -0000, "Barb"
wrote:

snip

We have just had our loft insulated with the most recent guideline
insulation. Instead of just one 6 inch layer on a roll, they now put
two layers of about 20inches in all and boy does it work. The loft is
stone cold now, we only commenting a while back how warm it was up
there/ More importantly upstairs is now boiling and great for airing!

Make sure any water pipes/tanks in the loft are properly insulated. Now that
the space is colder there is more risk of freezing up there.

Good point. As you mention it though we do have lagging on all the
pipes.