GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Devon Beach (Free Pampers & BMWs) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/152500-devon-beach-free-pampers-bmws.html)

Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) 23-01-2007 08:19 AM

Devon Beach (Free Pampers & BMWs)

Please forgive the absence of Sacha and Dave Poole

Dave Poole 23-01-2007 08:56 AM

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
Please forgive the absence of Sacha and Dave Poole

Ha - just what I need, free Beemer parts and none of them fit mine :-(

Oh well, better go back and help Sacha with the shipping order to
Jersey ;-)

Dave Poole 23-01-2007 10:01 AM

Devon Beach (Free Pampers & BMWs)

Oh well, better go back and help Sacha with the shipping order to
Jersey ;-)

.... for Pampers that is.

Sacha 23-01-2007 10:12 AM

Devon Beach (Free Pampers & BMWs)

On 23/1/07 08:56, in article
, "Dave Poole"
wrote:

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
Please forgive the absence of Sacha and Dave Poole

Ha - just what I need, free Beemer parts and none of them fit mine :-(

Oh well, better go back and help Sacha with the shipping order to
Jersey ;-)

I can just see my daughter in law's face when she receives a consignment of
sal****er Pampers! ;-))
What we're having a problem understanding is why people are being allowed to
do this! If it's illegal, as is reported, why are the police merely handing
out forms to be filled in and returned, telling them where the 'salvaged'
goods have gone? The whole thing is utterly bizarre - why not just close
off the beach until the shipping company's salvage people move in?

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) 23-01-2007 10:27 AM

Devon Beach (Free Pampers & BMWs)

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 23/1/07 08:56, in article
, "Dave Poole"
wrote:

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
[...]

It's been shut off now. Excellent video evidence of the potential thieves
(if they don't fill out the forms).
From Lyme Bay to eBay. Yes some stuff is already on the site:-(
I never realised that Devon housed such vermin.

Sacha 23-01-2007 10:43 AM

Devon Beach (Free Pampers & BMWs)

On 23/1/07 10:27, in article , "Rupert (W.Yorkshire)"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 23/1/07 08:56, in article
, "Dave Poole"
wrote:

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
Please forgive the absence of Sacha and Dave Poole

Ha - just what I need, free Beemer parts and none of them fit mine :-(

Oh well, better go back and help Sacha with the shipping order to
Jersey ;-)

I can just see my daughter in law's face when she receives a consignment
of
sal****er Pampers! ;-))
What we're having a problem understanding is why people are being allowed
do this! If it's illegal, as is reported, why are the police merely
handing
out forms to be filled in and returned, telling them where the 'salvaged'
goods have gone? The whole thing is utterly bizarre - why not just close
off the beach until the shipping company's salvage people move in?

It's been shut off now.

Stable doors and bolting horses come to mind!

Excellent video evidence of the potential thieves
(if they don't fill out the forms).
From Lyme Bay to eBay. Yes some stuff is already on the site:-(
I never realised that Devon housed such vermin.

Not just Devon - some people came from 'two counties away', according to one
report. But no surprises, I'm afraid - looting is an old past time.....

Sacha 23-01-2007 11:00 AM

Devon Beach (Free Pampers & BMWs)

On 23/1/07 10:55, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 08:19:39 -0000, "Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)"
wrote:

Please forgive the absence of Sacha and Dave Poole

LOL Sacha was last seen rolling barrels into the back of a truck.

I did rather envy them those which, as our local paper put it, will
undoubtedly end up planted up in somebody's garden, somewhere! Apparently
they're worth about £100 each!

Sacha 23-01-2007 11:00 AM

Devon Beach (Free Pampers & BMWs)

On 23/1/07 10:56, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

wrote:

Please forgive the absence of Sacha and Dave Poole

Ho, ho, ho! ;-)

and a bottle of rum, too?

No, was there? ;-)

The Reid 23-01-2007 11:01 AM

Devon Beach (Free Pampers & BMWs)

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 10:12:10 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

If it's illegal, as is reported, why are the police merely handing
out forms to be filled in and returned, telling them where the 'salvaged'
goods have gone? The whole thing is utterly bizarre - why not just close
off the beach until the shipping company's salvage people move in?

one container had the personal effects of a Swedish couple moving to
SA, nice.
--
Mike Reid
UK walking, food, photos "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site

Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) 23-01-2007 11:03 AM

Devon Beach (Free Pampers & BMWs)

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 23/1/07 10:27, in article , "Rupert
(W.Yorkshire)"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 23/1/07 08:56, in article
, "Dave Poole"
wrote:

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
[...]

From Lyme Bay to eBay. Yes some stuff is already on the site:-(
I never realised that Devon housed such vermin.

Not just Devon - some people came from 'two counties away', according to
one
report. But no surprises, I'm afraid - looting is an old past time.....

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/
(remove weeds from address)

It's not technically looting otherwise they could be shot. The one
heartening thing is that some of the locals that have been interviewed are
horrified by the events.
I do hope that some of the grinning buffoons who have boasted about their
loot get shot-or perhaps a quick slap.
There was an incident round here when a woman crashed her car and by the
time the Ambulance arrived she had "lost" her handbag and laptop.
I think folk sometimes take the "every cloud has a silver lining" to
extremes.

Sacha 23-01-2007 11:13 AM

Devon Beach (Free Pampers & BMWs)

wrote:

If it's illegal, as is reported, why are the police merely handing
out forms to be filled in and returned, telling them where the 'salvaged'
goods have gone? The whole thing is utterly bizarre - why not just close
off the beach until the shipping company's salvage people move in?

one container had the personal effects of a Swedish couple moving to
SA, nice.

Oh, that was *awful*. A report said people were seen moving off with family
portraits and obviously personal household effects and there were
photographs lying around on the beach, showing that young couple.
I wonder if the enquiry will show that ship to have been overloaded for the
conditions. I know there's a large chunk of metal hanging underneath but it
looked very top heavy to the untrained eye.

Sacha 23-01-2007 11:21 AM

Devon Beach (Free Pampers & BMWs)

On 23/1/07 11:03, in article , "Rupert (W.Yorkshire)"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...

snip Not just Devon - some people came from 'two counties away',
according to
one
report. But no surprises, I'm afraid - looting is an old past time.....

It's not technically looting otherwise they could be shot. The one
heartening thing is that some of the locals that have been interviewed are
horrified by the events.

What I don't understand is the difference between looting and stealing by
finding. And *could* they still be shot? It seems unlikely as we no longer
have capital punishment, even for the worst of crimes.

I do hope that some of the grinning buffoons who have boasted about their
loot get shot-or perhaps a quick slap.
There was an incident round here when a woman crashed her car and by the
time the Ambulance arrived she had "lost" her handbag and laptop.
I think folk sometimes take the "every cloud has a silver lining" to
extremes.

The first time I went to Italy, my ex husband and I arrived to stay with his
aunt and uncle, just outside Turin. I'd never met them before. As we were
having tea, the phone rang to tell his aunt that her mother in law had been
knocked down and killed on a zebra crossing. It had taken the police and
hospital hours to identify her by the initials inside her wedding ring
because, as she lay dying, someone stole her handbag. The world is full of
people that define the word 'scum'.
And today, we read of one woman whose car was hit by a falling branch in the
storms and wrecked. She, her son and her mother were lucky to escape with
their lives. Police told her to leave it where it was until she could
arrange for its disposal, because it was un-driveable. So when she went
back next day, there was a parking ticket on it AND someone had stolen the
stereo!

David Rance 23-01-2007 11:21 AM

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 Martin wrote:

Please forgive the absence of Sacha and Dave Poole

Ho, ho, ho! ;-)

and a bottle of rum, too?

It was "Whisky Galore", not "Rum Galore"!

David

--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK

Sacha 23-01-2007 11:37 AM

Devon Beach (Free Pampers & BMWs)

On 23/1/07 11:21, in article , "David
Rance" wrote:

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 Martin wrote:

Please forgive the absence of Sacha and Dave Poole

Ho, ho, ho! ;-)

and a bottle of rum, too?

It was "Whisky Galore", not "Rum Galore"!

David

Yes but not on the dead man's chest. ;-) Or any other part of his anatomy,
for that matter.

Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) 23-01-2007 11:47 AM

Devon Beach (Free Pampers & BMWs)

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...

wrote:

[...]

Container ships always appear to be overloaded so I guess that this ship
was OK. I have listened to a few of the Maritime lawyers on the box and the
taking of stuff from a beach, which originates from a ship, is clear-cut. I
won't bore you with my interpretation as I am sure it will be well covered
this evening.

La Puce 23-01-2007 11:52 AM

Sacha wrote:
Oh, that was *awful*. A report said people were seen moving off with family
portraits and obviously personal household effects and there were
photographs lying around on the beach, showing that young couple.
I wonder if the enquiry will show that ship to have been overloaded for the
conditions. I know there's a large chunk of metal hanging underneath but it
looked very top heavy to the untrained eye.

What about the oil, the pollution, the sea birds? Can you see anything?
Will it be ok?

The Reid 23-01-2007 12:03 PM

On 23 Jan 2007 03:52:29 -0800, "La Puce" wrote:

What about the oil, the pollution, the sea birds? Can you see anything?

I dont think its going to be a major environmental issue. More one of
scumbags taking peoples personal efects from a shipwreck.

Sacha 23-01-2007 12:31 PM

Devon Beach (Free Pampers & BMWs)

wrote:

but it
looked very top heavy to the untrained eye.

they tend to

As far as I can see, there is little to no freeboard on these ships?

'Mike' 23-01-2007 12:51 PM

Devon Beach (Free Pampers & BMWs)

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...

wrote:

but it
looked very top heavy to the untrained eye.

they tend to

As far as I can see, there is little to no freeboard on these ships?

--

You think that all the containers just sit on the deck? :-(((((

Mike

Marine Electrical Design Engineer (Rtd)

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Sacha 23-01-2007 01:28 PM

Devon Beach (Free Pampers & BMWs)

On 23/1/07 13:24, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 11:00:14 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

On 23/1/07 10:55, in article
,

wrote:

Please forgive the absence of Sacha and Dave Poole

LOL Sacha was last seen rolling barrels into the back of a truck.

I did rather envy them those which, as our local paper put it, will
undoubtedly end up planted up in somebody's garden, somewhere! Apparently
they're worth about £100 each!

So they are empty. Just as I thought.

Yes, and I don't recall reading who they were destined for.

'Mike' 23-01-2007 01:29 PM

"Martin" wrote in message
On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 11:00:14 +0000, Sacha

So they are empty. Just as I thought.
--

and where do you think the full or heavy ones would be?

What has most of the cargo been so far? Heavy or light goods?

Think 'Freeboard'. The ship does have 'depth' as in cargo holds BELOW the
water line :-))

Mike

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

David Rance 23-01-2007 01:44 PM

Devon Beach (Free Pampers & BMWs)

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 Martin wrote:

Please forgive the absence of Sacha and Dave Poole

Ho, ho, ho! ;-)

and a bottle of rum, too?

It was "Whisky Galore", not "Rum Galore"!

and Yo ho ho, not no no no no yes.

I don't think anyone has recognised the reference! Wasn't anything to do
with the Vicar of Dibley.

David

Keith \(Dorset\) 23-01-2007 02:39 PM

Devon Beach (Free Pampers & BMWs)

Yes, it's a wee bit chilly out on the shore here in Dorset too.

Waiting to be first on the tide that is...

Keith

following a centuries-old tradition ;-)

Sacha 23-01-2007 02:43 PM

"Martin" wrote:

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 11:00:14 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

On 23/1/07 10:55, in article
,

wrote:

Please forgive the absence of Sacha and Dave Poole

LOL Sacha was last seen rolling barrels into the back of a truck.

I did rather envy them those which, as our local paper put it, will
undoubtedly end up planted up in somebody's garden, somewhere! Apparently
they're worth about £100 each!

So they are empty. Just as I thought.

I've just read the DT report which says some of them were empty, some had
wine in them. People have taken thousands and thousands of pounds worth of
BMW motor bikes and BMW car spares; there is a wrecked car lying upside
down at the edge of the sea and apparently near fights broke out between
groups who thought they had first dibs on some of the motor bikes. I
believe there's even some kind of 4x4 vehicle there. People were on their
mobile phones, ringing friends in the motor trade to find out what e.g. BMW
engines were worth.
The Swedish couple who were reported as having lost a container load of
goods, say that while they are insured, much of their stuff is irreplaceable
as it was family china, glass, pictures etc. and there are photographs of
men breaking into the container to get at the contents. There is zero
excuse for that because the container was whole and could have been rescued
and returned to its owners.
One man is quoted as saying that there's a 'good wreck' roughly once every
25 years but that this is 'the best' ever. ;-((

Kate Morgan 23-01-2007 03:13 PM

Devon Beach (Free Pampers & BMWs)

snip
The Swedish couple who were reported as having lost a container load of
goods, say that while they are insured, much of their stuff is irreplaceable
as it was family china, glass, pictures etc. and there are photographs of
men breaking into the container to get at the contents. There is zero
excuse for that because the container was whole and could have been rescued
and returned to its owners.
One man is quoted as saying that there's a 'good wreck' roughly once every
25 years but that this is 'the best' ever. ;-((

With this behavior plus the nonsense re. Big Brother we as a nation are
not looking very good.

'Mike' 23-01-2007 03:14 PM

Devon Beach (Free Pampers & BMWs)

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 23/1/07 13:24, in article ,

One man is quoted as saying that there's a 'good wreck' roughly once every
25 years but that this is 'the best' ever. ;-((

--
Sacha

Funny how we seem to have different rules for different people. Wrecking and
harvesting of wrecks has been going on for years, just as some people keep
on harping on about 'We used to do this in the past' ' When I was in Jersey
......' ............ don't we?

Mike

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Nick Maclaren 23-01-2007 03:23 PM

Devon Beach (Free Pampers & BMWs)

In article ,
Kate Morgan writes:

| With this behavior plus the nonsense re. Big Brother we as a nation are
| not looking very good.

A VERY long time ago I decided that, if I was to adopt an artificial
monicker for the net, it would be Emmanuel Goldstein.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Keith \(Dorset\) 23-01-2007 03:26 PM

Devon Beach (Free Pampers & BMWs) (OT)

Dear all,

This is a fundamental misunderstanding of cultures - yes 'cultures', between
many of those who live by the sea and many, or most, who don't.

Wrecking is a time-old tradition whereby coastal dwellers have always
supplemented their often meagre earnings by salvaging items of value from
the shoreline at the time of a wreck.

Here in Dorset, often the whole community would venture out, often in
appalling weather to grab whatever was there for the taking.

Keith

PS It is said that ships were sometime lured onto rocks with judiciously
placed lights so that wrecking could take place.

"'Mike'" wrote in message
"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 23/1/07 13:24, in article ,

One man is quoted as saying that there's a 'good wreck' roughly once
every
25 years but that this is 'the best' ever. ;-((

--
Sacha

Funny how we seem to have different rules for different people. Wrecking
and harvesting of wrecks has been going on for years, just as some people
keep on harping on about 'We used to do this in the past' ' When I was in
Jersey .....' ............ don't we?

Mike

--
.................................................. ........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

'Mike' 23-01-2007 03:43 PM

"Keith (Dorset)" wrote in message
Dear all,

This is a fundamental misunderstanding of cultures - yes 'cultures',
between many of those who live by the sea and many, or most, who don't.

Wrecking is a time-old tradition whereby coastal dwellers have always
supplemented their often meagre earnings by salvaging items of value from
the shoreline at the time of a wreck.

Here in Dorset, often the whole community would venture out, often in
appalling weather to grab whatever was there for the taking.

Keith

PS It is said that ships were sometime lured onto rocks with judiciously
placed lights so that wrecking could take place.

Thank you Keith.

These landlubbers should stick to the soil ;-)

Mike

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

"'Mike'" wrote in message
"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 23/1/07 13:24, in article ,

JennyC 23-01-2007 04:22 PM

Devon Beach (Free Pampers & BMWs)

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message
Please forgive the absence of Sacha and Dave Poole

For those of you who have no idea what this is about:
Jenny

Alan Holmes 23-01-2007 05:10 PM

Devon Beach (Free Pampers & BMWs)

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...

wrote:

[...]

I don't think container ships should have anything on the deck, I'm sure it
adds to the instability.

Alan

Alan Holmes 23-01-2007 05:13 PM

Devon Beach (Free Pampers & BMWs)

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...

wrote:

Please forgive the absence of Sacha and Dave Poole

Ho, ho, ho! ;-)

and a bottle of rum, too?

No, was there? ;-)

When I joined the Andrew, I was given the option of a tot of rum each day or
threepence extra on the pay, I thought that the tot of run was probably
worth more that threepence, so I opted for that!

There is another tale about the rum bosun, but I'll leave that for now!

Alan

'Mike' 23-01-2007 05:14 PM

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

I don't think container ships should have anything on the deck, I'm sure
it adds to the instability.

Alan

Well you think wrong. What do you think the roll of 'Naval Architect' is?
and Lloyds and DNV etc etc etc?

Please engage brain before posting stupid statements.

Mike

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Alan Holmes 23-01-2007 05:17 PM

Rance" wrote:

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 Martin wrote:

Please forgive the absence of Sacha and Dave Poole

Ho, ho, ho! ;-)

and a bottle of rum, too?

It was "Whisky Galore", not "Rum Galore"!

David

Yes but not on the dead man's chest. ;-) Or any other part of his
anatomy,
for that matter.

Nelsons body, was, apparently pickled in a container of rum to preserve his
body so he could be bought home for burial, the sailors on board did not
know this and they taped the cask, forever after, rum was known as Nelsons
Blood!

Alan

'Mike' 23-01-2007 05:19 PM

Devon Beach (Free Pampers & BMWs)

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

When I joined the Andrew, I was given the option of a tot of rum each day
or threepence extra on the pay, I thought that the tot of run was probably
worth more that threepence, so I opted for that!

There is another tale about the rum bosun, but I'll leave that for now!

Alan

Looks as if you became the "Rum Rat"

Mike
I wonder if that brings Andy Muppet alive ;-)

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Robert[_2_] 23-01-2007 05:38 PM

Devon Beach (Free Pampers & BMWs) (OT)

Keith (Dorset) wrote:
: Dear all,
:
: This is a fundamental misunderstanding of cultures - yes 'cultures',
: between many of those who live by the sea and many, or most, who
: don't.
:
: Wrecking is a time-old tradition whereby coastal dwellers have always
: supplemented their often meagre earnings by salvaging items of value
: from the shoreline at the time of a wreck.
:
: Here in Dorset, often the whole community would venture out, often in
: appalling weather to grab whatever was there for the taking.
:
: Keith
:
: PS It is said that ships were sometime lured onto rocks with
: judiciously placed lights so that wrecking could take place.
:

Good luck to them I say. If someone has the cheek to put a ship like that to
sea, endangering our coast, then they deserve no compassion and their cargo
is 'fair game'. The only quite big problem I have with this ship's cargo is
that the redistribution is causing more damage to the beach than the
original containers were...

Peter James 23-01-2007 06:26 PM

Devon Beach (Free Pampers & BMWs)

Kate Morgan wrote:

snip
The Swedish couple who were reported as having lost a container load of
goods, say that while they are insured, much of their stuff is irreplaceable
as it was family china, glass, pictures etc. and there are photographs of
men breaking into the container to get at the contents. There is zero
excuse for that because the container was whole and could have been rescued
and returned to its owners.
One man is quoted as saying that there's a 'good wreck' roughly once every
25 years but that this is 'the best' ever. ;-((

With this behavior plus the nonsense re. Big Brother we as a nation are
not looking very good.

Shades of "Jamaica Inne" Where are you Daphne du Maurier when we need
you?

Dave Poole 23-01-2007 07:03 PM

wrote:

Please forgive the absence of Sacha and Dave Poole

LOL Sacha was last seen rolling barrels into the back of a truck.

Laugh if you like Martin, but I have it on good authority that a new
parts-dealership for motor bikes has just opened in the car park of a
certain nursery somewhere on the lower slopes of Dartmoor!