Old 23-01-2007, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default pH meters, coffee grounds

Hello all,

Does anyone have a line on a working pH meter, hopefully available
online from UK or EU sources? I believe I've got a fair variation in the
garden and am interested in finding out in detail.

On a related note, any idea about the pH of coffee grounds? Good
for disposing around plants yes, but OK for acidophiles?

Thanks in advance,

-E

Posting from (finally) cold Normandy. At least the wind has calmed,
only 40 mph today!

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Old 23-01-2007, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emery Davis" wrote in message
Hello all,

Does anyone have a line on a working pH meter, hopefully available
online from UK or EU sources? I believe I've got a fair variation in the
garden and am interested in finding out in detail.

On a related note, any idea about the pH of coffee grounds? Good
for disposing around plants yes, but OK for acidophiles?

Thanks in advance,

-E

Posting from (finally) cold Normandy. At least the wind has calmed,
only 40 mph today!

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom
by removing the well known companies

Speaking as someone who has broken dozens of pH metre electrodes I would
advise to buy something specifically designed for the agri market.
Regardless of what you buy it is essential to calibrate the thing
,regularly, using known standards.
You can Google as well as me (probably better) but this one is perhaps the
type of thing you need.

http://www.hannainst.co.uk/acatalog/... ectrode.html

I don't know about the pH of coffee -suppose it depends on the milk and
sugar you put in. Perhaps you can tell us when you get your new toy:-)

Old 23-01-2007, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
[...]

From what I've read, although coffee itself is acidic, the used grounds

are generally around neutral.

Old 23-01-2007, 04:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 13:07:04 -0000
"Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)" wrote:

"Emery Davis" wrote in message
Hello all,

Does anyone have a line on a working pH meter, hopefully available
online from UK or EU sources? I believe I've got a fair variation in the
garden and am interested in finding out in detail.

On a related note, any idea about the pH of coffee grounds? Good
for disposing around plants yes, but OK for acidophiles?

[]
Speaking as someone who has broken dozens of pH metre electrodes I would
advise to buy something specifically designed for the agri market.
Regardless of what you buy it is essential to calibrate the thing
,regularly, using known standards.
You can Google as well as me (probably better) but this one is perhaps the
type of thing you need.

http://www.hannainst.co.uk/acatalog/... ectrode.html

Thanks Rupert. I did indeed come across a bunch googling, but I
had gathered that some were not very accurate or reliable. So
I figured perhaps someone here had experience with a particular
brand.

I had figured to be paying around the amount in the link you posted.
I don't know about the pH of coffee -suppose it depends on the milk and
sugar you put in. Perhaps you can tell us when you get your new toy:-)

Milk is for tea, as every civilized person knows. In any case I would
be unlikely to sugar the grounds after brewing! I assume the grounds
are rather acidic, but not really sure.

Hi ho, off to chop more wood.

-E

Old 23-01-2007, 08:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Emery Davis napisal(a):

Does anyone have a line on a working pH meter, hopefully available
online from UK or EU sources? I believe I've got a fair variation in the
garden and am interested in finding out in detail.

Can't help with model selction, but you may be interested in the
descripition of soil pH measurement procedure at
http://www.ph-meter.info/pH-measurem...her-procedures

Note that the method described explains why Rupert was so succesfull in
breaking the electrodes

Posting from (finally) cold Normandy. At least the wind has calmed,
only 40 mph today!

Yep, it is going in my direction as well. It should start snowing in
about 3 hours.

Borek
--
http://www.chembuddy.com/?left=BATE&right=pH-calculator
http://www.ph-meter.info/pH-electrode

levelling lawn 25 meters long height differential 3 meters rbarbs United Kingdom 11 21-08-2007 11:38 AM
coffee grounds from cold press coffee user Roses 4 01-05-2004 04:03 PM
NPK of Coffee Grounds Ryunen Gardening 1 01-03-2003 05:27 AM
[IBC] Fw: Coffee grounds Jim Lewis Bonsai 2 22-02-2003 04:27 PM
Coffee grounds Theo Bonsai 0 22-02-2003 08:15 AM