Old 30-01-2007, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rope for garden use

We're currently putting up some posts which will have rope swagged between
them for the support of roses, clematis etc. We've found a wonderful place
on Exmoor that does supplies of all sorts of rope of different materials and
diameters and will be ordering from there. We've been sent photos of
different uses, one of which is as rope trellis against a fence and we're
going to use that against a wall because it will be easy to unhook it and
paint behind it when the time comes. It's also extremely attractive. There
is also a photo of a fabulous 'cobweb' of rope used to roof a gazebo.
Plants are growing up the gazebo and along and through the rope roof,
dangling into it in the most entrancing way.
From time to time we see enquiries about rope on here and IMO, this is a
real 'find'.
http://www.traditionalropecompany.co.uk/
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 30-01-2007, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
We're currently putting up some posts which will have rope swagged between
them for the support of roses, clematis etc. We've found a wonderful
place
on Exmoor that does supplies of all sorts of rope of different materials
and
diameters and will be ordering from there. We've been sent photos of
different uses, one of which is as rope trellis against a fence and we're
going to use that against a wall because it will be easy to unhook it and
paint behind it when the time comes. It's also extremely attractive.
There
is also a photo of a fabulous 'cobweb' of rope used to roof a gazebo.
Plants are growing up the gazebo and along and through the rope roof,
dangling into it in the most entrancing way.
From time to time we see enquiries about rope on here and IMO, this is a
real 'find'.
http://www.traditionalropecompany.co.uk/
--
Sacha

Polyprop? :-(( Ugly

Conventional? :-(( Will rot

Leave rope out of your fancy garden themes. Let it stay where it should be,
.... at sea.

Mike

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 02-02-2007, 11:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes
We're currently putting up some posts which will have rope swagged between
them for the support of roses, clematis etc.

Sacha how are you going to fix the rope? I wanted to string some up
between two pillars around a seat at the end of the garden but wasn't
sure how you would do it. Do you tie thinner rope around it and then fix
that or take it over the top of the posts and wallop a huge nail through
it to hold it in place?

janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 02-02-2007, 12:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2/2/07 11:54, in article , "Janet Tweedy"
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes
We're currently putting up some posts which will have rope swagged between
them for the support of roses, clematis etc.

Sacha how are you going to fix the rope? I wanted to string some up
between two pillars around a seat at the end of the garden but wasn't
sure how you would do it. Do you tie thinner rope around it and then fix
that or take it over the top of the posts and wallop a huge nail through
it to hold it in place?

On their photos (which aren't on the site yet) they show some way in which
they've knotted it, so that's what we're going to attempt! The other
possibility is the sort of fixing people use for rope stair rails which is a
metal circle with a fixing nail in the centre, or as you suggest a huge nail
or metal staple and a good thump! In your case, you could do any of the
above and take the ends of the rope down to ground level and secure them to
stakes to give an extra 'embracing' effect round the seat. As long as
people don't trip over the low stakes, of course!
You could always email Niall for suggestions and/or instructions but if I
can find where Ray has hidden the pics, I'll scan them in and email them to
you.

Old 03-02-2007, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
On 2/2/07 11:54, in article , "Janet Tweedy"
wrote:
In article , Sacha
writes

[...]

I'd simply knot them, but you need to use the right knot. Perhaps if you
have a friend who sails they'd come round and show you? (or does
climbing, or was a scout/guide etc.).

Dorothy.

Old 03-02-2007, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 3/2/07 12:07, in article ,
"Brick" wrote:

Sacha wrote:
On 2/2/07 11:54, in article , "Janet Tweedy"
wrote:
In article , Sacha
writes

[...]

I used to sail but don't recall ever having to do a sideways knot on a post
with nothing on top of it. ;-) I suppose it's a *bit* like a round turn
and two half hitches. I really must look for those photos!

Old 06-02-2007, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Unless of course, you have a garden by the sea!

Then at least it won't cost you anything...

providing you don't mind 'looting' the beaches...

and you like your rope 'blue'...

to match the waves.

:-)

Keith

"'Mike'" wrote in message
"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
We're currently putting up some posts which will have rope swagged
between
them for the support of roses, clematis etc. We've found a wonderful
place
on Exmoor that does supplies of all sorts of rope of different materials
and
diameters and will be ordering from there. We've been sent photos of
different uses, one of which is as rope trellis against a fence and we're
going to use that against a wall because it will be easy to unhook it and
paint behind it when the time comes. It's also extremely attractive.
There
is also a photo of a fabulous 'cobweb' of rope used to roof a gazebo.
Plants are growing up the gazebo and along and through the rope roof,
dangling into it in the most entrancing way.
From time to time we see enquiries about rope on here and IMO, this is a
real 'find'.
http://www.traditionalropecompany.co.uk/
--
Sacha

Polyprop? :-(( Ugly

Conventional? :-(( Will rot

Leave rope out of your fancy garden themes. Let it stay where it should
be, ... at sea.

Mike

--
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Garden Rope Rope&Splice Marketplace 0 15-04-2011 09:12 PM
Rope for garden use - pics Sacha United Kingdom 1 04-02-2007 09:47 AM
New underwater lighting test: Rope Light! Gareee© Ponds 7 08-04-2006 09:55 PM
Slightly OT - Rope Alison United Kingdom 5 01-09-2003 01:03 AM
Can anyone help... solar powered rope lights...? Steve Warren @ The UK Speedtrap Guide United Kingdom 0 27-05-2003 10:20 PM