Old 02-02-2007, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Growing roses in time for Valentines

If I wanted to grow my own roses in time for valentines , how would I
do it ? Is it cost affective ?

Old 02-02-2007, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2/2/07 12:55, in article
, "Gardening_Convert"
wrote:

If I wanted to grow my own roses in time for valentines , how would I
do it ? Is it cost affective ?

Lots of heat, lots of special lights, cold store for when you cut them.
Ditto on a smaller scale if you're thinking just for personal use. IOW, No.
;-(

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 02-02-2007, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Gardening_Convert wrote:
: If I wanted to grow my own roses in time for valentines , how would I
: do it ? Is it cost affective ?

Variety Marksus Spencera will be ready in time!

Old 02-02-2007, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gardening_Convert" wrote in message
oups.com...
If I wanted to grow my own roses in time for valentines , how would I
do it ? Is it cost affective ?

Seeing as you only have two weeks till the 14th............probably not!
Or did you mean 2008?
Jenny

Old 04-02-2007, 03:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2 Feb, 17:06, "JennyC" wrote:
Seeing as you only have two weeks till the 14th............probably not!
Or did you mean 2008?

My thought too. However, my neighbours has roses, little danty white
ones and they smell devine. A couple will be on my table on the
14th ;o)

Old 04-02-2007, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4 Feb, 15:46, Martin wrote:
A couple? Of your neighbours? Original if nothing else :-)

Arf arf ... ) I haven't yet master the skills of this beautiful
language. Instead I've created my own and I hope it will never changes
because inevitably someone get a smile out of it.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

)
--

Martin

So basically I did mean for next season obviously it's too late for
this season.

Are there any vareties that flower aroumnd this time ?

That could be bought on in a green house etc or even outside

Or are their any other flowers similar to a Rose that I could grow in
the future ?

Would rather give flowers to the wife that I've spent time and effort
growing than spend millions for a few roses from the local garage !!

Old 05-02-2007, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 5 Feb, 10:46, "Gardening_Convert" wrote:
So basically I did mean for next season obviously it's too late for
this season.

At the risk of repeating myself ... not sure where my post has gone
to?!?! I knew you were thinking about next year ... )

Are there any vareties that flower aroumnd this time ?

I think my neighbour's roses are a freak of nature. She's a very old
lady and rarely prunes her roses. They are not floribonda but shrub
roses, little white to very pale pink. The story goes that she had
been given the plant by a neighbour who died a few years ago, and a
few roses appears at this time of year, time when he passed away. I
will ask her what rose it is. Also I know that some roses are grown in
time for valentine on the Isle of Man, but I don't know much more
about roses, beside looking after my floribonda which I adore ...

http://cjoint.com/?cfmEyQ7De7
http://cjoint.com/?cfmEZhUFHW

Incidentally if someone knows what they are I'd be grateful to
know )

That could be bought on in a green house etc or even outside
Or are their any other flowers similar to a Rose that I could grow in
the future ?

The christmas roses, hellebores? It would be original.

Would rather give flowers to the wife that I've spent time and effort
growing than spend millions for a few roses from the local garage !!

It would cost us the planet indeed!!

Old 05-02-2007, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://cjoint.com/?cfmEyQ7De7http://...om/?cfmEZhUFHW

Incidentally if someone knows what they are I'd be grateful to
know )

That could be bought on in a green house etc or even outside
Or are their any other flowers similar to a Rose that I could grow in
the future ?

The christmas roses, hellebores? It would be original.

Would rather give flowers to the wife that I've spent time and effort
growing than spend millions for a few roses from the local garage !!

It would cost us the planet indeed!!

My roses' last flush of flowers has just ended, and I don't think
there will be any more as I've just pruned it down to get more
flowers. Roses flower all year here so it's always a possibility, mind
you last years bizzy lizzy is still flowering, currently 3 feet high
and going well. Will have freesias out in the garden though, they are
just opening, as are anenomes.