GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   OT Tetanus jabs (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/153922-ot-tetanus-jabs.html)

Sacha 07-02-2007 10:53 AM

OT Tetanus jabs

Just a word of warning to those who haven't had a tetanus jab lately.
Please keep up to date! Those working with sharp implements and/or delving
into the soil need them. My husband tried to separate two of our dogs
having a fight last Friday and got bitten on his left hand. He absolutely
refused to go to the doctor, doing his tough ex-Para 'thing' (!)
Consequently, on Sunday morning he was in so much pain and his hand so
swollen, with the pain travelling up his arm, that he had to go to our local
hospital for a tetanus jab and has been put on hefty antibiotics. We're
going to the doctor this morning for a check up because while it has
improved, his hand is still very swollen and poisoned and he can't use it at
all. On top of this, he has been in bed, feeling pretty poorly and sleeping
a lot, since last Sunday. This is extremely unlike him! So, if you fall
into any 'at risk' category, please visit your doctor!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

The Reid 07-02-2007 11:07 AM

OT Tetanus jabs

On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 10:53:19 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

Just a word of warning to those who haven't had a tetanus jab lately.
Please keep up to date!

mines out of date now, must get it fixed.
--
Mike Reid
Los Canarios "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk/canaries.htm"

Sacha 07-02-2007 11:10 AM

OT Tetanus jabs

wrote:

Just a word of warning to those who haven't had a tetanus jab lately.
Please keep up to date!

mines out of date now, must get it fixed.

I'll chalk up one success!

La Puce 07-02-2007 11:10 AM

OT Tetanus jabs

On 7 Feb, 10:53, Sacha wrote:
Just a word of warning to those who haven't had a tetanus jab lately.
Please keep up to date! Those working with sharp implements and/or delving
into the soil need them. My husband tried to separate two of our dogs
having a fight last Friday

Ths is very well, or perhaps not, but your husband got bitten by your
own dog and therefore didn't get infected by soil. But, he is a
nursery man, working with soil all the time. How truly bizarre to give
such a warning to gardeners who are, I very much suspect, up to date
with their jabs, I know I am - 4 years before the next one - and not
look closer to home?!

La Puce 07-02-2007 11:29 AM

OT Tetanus jabs

On 7 Feb, 11:25, Martin wrote:
Are you covered for rabies, too?

GGGGggggggggggggrrrrrrrr.... watch out you! My dogs wouldn't dare
bitting me ;o)

JennyC 07-02-2007 11:55 AM

OT Tetanus jabs

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 7 Feb, 10:53, Sacha wrote:
Just a word of warning to those who haven't had a tetanus jab lately.
Please keep up to date! Those working with sharp implements and/or
delving
into the soil need them. My husband tried to separate two of our dogs
having a fight last Friday

Ths is very well, or perhaps not, but your husband got bitten by your
own dog and therefore didn't get infected by soil. But, he is a
nursery man, working with soil all the time. How truly bizarre to give
such a warning to gardeners who are, I very much suspect, up to date
with their jabs, I know I am - 4 years before the next one - and not
look closer to home?!

You have set me thinking.... I've never had a tetanus jab in my whole life
!!
I worked on farms, with horses, pigs, various crops etc and never thought
about it.
Do you think it's essential for home gardeners /
Jenny

Nick Maclaren 07-02-2007 12:07 PM

OT Tetanus jabs

In article ,
"JennyC" writes:

| You have set me thinking.... I've never had a tetanus jab in my whole life
| !!
| I worked on farms, with horses, pigs, various crops etc and never thought
| about it.
| Do you think it's essential for home gardeners /

The risk of getting tetanus is very low, but the risk of dying if you
get it is very high. The risk of the innoculation is very low, unlike
for some others.

Any soil that has had domestic animals on it in the past century, or
has had manure from such animals put on it during that period, may
contain viable tetanus spores. To a first approximation, that means
everywhere in the UK, but some soils will contain more spores than
others.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

La Puce 07-02-2007 12:16 PM

OT Tetanus jabs

On 7 Feb, 12:07, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article ,"JennyC" writes:
| You have set me thinking.... I've never had a tetanus jab in my whole life
| !!
| I worked on farms, with horses, pigs, various crops etc and never thought
| about it.
| Do you think it's essential for home gardeners /

Absolutely. A cut and an infection would really make you sick. I
realised how serious this was when about 13 years ago, I was moving
some planks and to re-equilibrate myself I lean on a plank. It had a
rusty nail on it and it went straight into my hand. I cleaned it as
best I could - but 3 days later I was so sick I had to go to emergency
with a hand the size of an orange. I got a told off, some penicilin, a
tetanus jab and then promised myself to keep onto it because I was
told it could have been really serious.

The risk of getting tetanus is very low, but the risk of dying if you
get it is very high. The risk of the innoculation is very low, unlike
for some others.
Any soil that has had domestic animals on it in the past century, or
has had manure from such animals put on it during that period, may
contain viable tetanus spores. To a first approximation, that means
everywhere in the UK, but some soils will contain more spores than
others.

I have been asked many time prior to working with groups in gardens,
or the last job I had at a garden centre if I had had a jab. It is now
asked by many organisation. It's has important as steel toe boots
are :o)

Dave Liquorice 07-02-2007 12:35 PM

OT Tetanus jabs

On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 10:53:19 +0000, Sacha wrote:

Consequently, on Sunday morning he was in so much pain and his hand so
swollen, with the pain travelling up his arm, that he had to go to our
local hospital for a tetanus jab and has been put on hefty antibiotics.

Oh that sounds more like cellulitis, particularly the travelling up the
arm bit. Any broad red lines below the skin surface?

If it is cellulitis it needs to be taken very seriously. I got the red
tracking in my leg just before christmas a year or two back, didn't think
much of it at first but ended up in hospital for four days being given
antibiotic injections by the gramme (not 1/4 or 1/2 gramme as is the
normal dose) every four hours. Off work for four weeks...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Dave Liquorice 07-02-2007 12:57 PM

OT Tetanus jabs

On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 12:25:25 +0100, Martin wrote:

Are you covered for rabies, too?

Fortunately rabies is not in this country.

If you think the culling of 159,000 commercial turkeys is a bit drastic
you wait to see what they will probably do when rabies does get here.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/f...e_outbreak.htm

OK it's old but I doubt that the underlying plan, mentioned at the end,
has changed much.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Dave Liquorice 07-02-2007 01:59 PM

OT Tetanus jabs

On 7 Feb 2007 04:16:43 -0800, La Puce wrote:

You have set me thinking.... I've never had a tetanus jab in my whole
life !!

Tetanus is one of the normal (UK) childhood immunistaions, comes with the
one against diptheria and something else.

I was so sick I had to go to emergency with a hand the size of an
orange.

Thats is just an infection, all be it a nasty one, not tetanus. Tetanus
causes muscle spasm hence the name "lock jaw".

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Nick Maclaren 07-02-2007 02:40 PM

OT Tetanus jabs

In article om,
"Dave Liquorice" writes:
| On 7 Feb 2007 04:16:43 -0800, La Puce wrote:
|
| You have set me thinking.... I've never had a tetanus jab in my whole
| life !!
|
| Tetanus is one of the normal (UK) childhood immunistaions, comes with the
| one against diptheria and something else.

It used not to, but I don't know if it was given routinely in the UK.
I got it, often, but that was in a far country and, besides, the
vaccine is dead.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

La Puce 07-02-2007 02:47 PM

OT Tetanus jabs

On 7 Feb, 13:59, "Dave Liquorice" wrote:
Thats is just an infection, all be it a nasty one, not tetanus. Tetanus
causes muscle spasm hence the name "lock jaw".

Sure it wasn't - thank goodness (and me, locked jaw ... that would be
the day ;o))

But I got a jab there and then because the last one I had had I was 9
years old, after being bitten by a dog in Bridgewater, of all places.

Sacha 07-02-2007 02:47 PM

OT Tetanus jabs

On 7/2/07 12:35, in article
, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 10:53:19 +0000, Sacha wrote:

Consequently, on Sunday morning he was in so much pain and his hand so
swollen, with the pain travelling up his arm, that he had to go to our
local hospital for a tetanus jab and has been put on hefty antibiotics.

Oh that sounds more like cellulitis, particularly the travelling up the
arm bit. Any broad red lines below the skin surface?

No, thank goodness. I was on the look out for that myself. The hand has
been very red and swollen and in fact, having seen the doc this morning, the
doc is ringing a bacteriologist for info on another type of antibiotic to
take in addition to he's already taking. Reassuringly, he did say that the
hospital had done the right thing but that he would have hoped to see much
less swelling in the hand. This makes me glad that I put my foot down with
a firm hand and made him see the doc today.

If it is cellulitis it needs to be taken very seriously. I got the red
tracking in my leg just before christmas a year or two back, didn't think
much of it at first but ended up in hospital for four days being given
antibiotic injections by the gramme (not 1/4 or 1/2 gramme as is the
normal dose) every four hours. Off work for four weeks...

Some years ago a friend of mine got septicaemia and the doctors reckoned he
was about two hours away from death by the time he got to hospital. They
have no idea what caused it but think it might have been a scratch from a
rose thorn.

Sacha 07-02-2007 02:54 PM

OT Tetanus jabs

On 7/2/07 13:59, in article
, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

Tetanus is one of the normal (UK) childhood immunistaions, comes with the
one against diptheria and something else.

Dip. tet and polio. Ray is now well covered. ;-) He'd had tet injections
in the past but had simply forgotten to renew - not surprising as nowadays
it covers you for something like ten years, I think. Also, he's not the
type that's inclined to fuss over health issues.
snip

La Puce 07-02-2007 02:57 PM

OT Tetanus jabs

On 7 Feb, 14:50, Martin wrote:
On 7 Feb 2007 06:47:07 -0800, "La Puce" wrote:
But I got a jab there and then because the last one I had had I was 9
years old, after being bitten by a dog in Bridgewater, of all places.

You could have been bitten in a more painful place.

:o)))

Robert[_2_] 07-02-2007 04:05 PM

OT Tetanus jabs

JennyC wrote:
: "La Puce" wrote in message
: oups.com...
:: On 7 Feb, 10:53, Sacha wrote:
::: Just a word of warning to those who haven't had a tetanus jab
::: lately. Please keep up to date! Those working with sharp
::: implements and/or delving
::: into the soil need them. My husband tried to separate two of our
::: dogs having a fight last Friday
::
:: Ths is very well, or perhaps not, but your husband got bitten by your
:: own dog and therefore didn't get infected by soil. But, he is a
:: nursery man, working with soil all the time. How truly bizarre to
:: give such a warning to gardeners who are, I very much suspect, up to
:: date with their jabs, I know I am - 4 years before the next one -
:: and not look closer to home?!
::
: You have set me thinking.... I've never had a tetanus jab in my whole
: life !!
: I worked on farms, with horses, pigs, various crops etc and never
: thought about it.
: Do you think it's essential for home gardeners /
: Jenny

We have advice for our members on the allotment website but whether anybody
takes any notice I wouldn't know www.rraa.moonfruit.com

Dave Liquorice 07-02-2007 04:21 PM

OT Tetanus jabs

On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 14:47:27 +0000, Sacha wrote:

No, thank goodness. I was on the look out for that myself.

When I got cellulitis I'd never heard of it before let alone seen it,
thats why I basicaly ignored the first, very mild, signs. I won't do that
again! If you hit it with antibiotics early on it's not a problem but let
it get hold for a 24 to 48hrs and it becomes serious to life threatening.

The scary thing is that is comes from a very common bacteria that is part
of most peoples skin flora. You might not even be able to see the wound
that it gets in through.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Dave Liquorice 07-02-2007 04:31 PM

OT Tetanus jabs

On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 14:54:45 +0000, Sacha wrote:

Tetanus is one of the normal (UK) childhood immunisations, comes with
the one against diptheria and something else.

Dip. tet and polio.

Polio is one on it's own, used to be oral on a sugar lump. Wanders off
and finds the third was Whooping Cough.

He'd had tet injections in the past but had simply forgotten to renew
- not surprising as nowadays it covers you for something like ten
years, I think.

I get the feeling that ten years is the figure they pin on, just to be
safe, when they don't really know how long the protection lasts. It's
reasonably accepted these days that if you've had three boosters there is
no need to bother anymore.

Not sure when it was introduced as a routine childhood immunisations in
the UK but I'm pretty sure I got it as a child which would have been
early 60's...

Also, he's not the type that's inclined to fuss over health issues.

Neither am I but you can get caught...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Nick Maclaren 07-02-2007 05:37 PM

OT Tetanus jabs

In article om,
"Dave Liquorice" writes:
| On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 14:54:45 +0000, Sacha wrote:
|
| Tetanus is one of the normal (UK) childhood immunisations, comes with
| the one against diptheria and something else.
|
| Dip. tet and polio.
|
| Polio is one on it's own, used to be oral on a sugar lump. Wanders off
| and finds the third was Whooping Cough.

Polio was by injection, when I were a lad.

| He'd had tet injections in the past but had simply forgotten to renew
| - not surprising as nowadays it covers you for something like ten
| years, I think.
|
| I get the feeling that ten years is the figure they pin on, just to be
| safe, when they don't really know how long the protection lasts. It's
| reasonably accepted these days that if you've had three boosters there is
| no need to bother anymore.

It was 3 years when I started with it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Dave Poole 07-02-2007 05:58 PM

OT Tetanus jabs

On Feb 7, 11:10 am, "La Puce" wrote in response to Sacha:

Just a word of warning to those who haven't had a tetanus jab lately.

Ths is very well, or perhaps not, but your husband got bitten by your
own dog and therefore didn't get infected by soil.

So, getting bitten by one's own dog is any less hazardous than being
bitten by any other? Tetanus can be transmitted via animal bites as
well as directly from the soil. Look it up!

But, he is a
nursery man, working with soil all the time. How truly bizarre to give
such a warning to gardeners who are, I very much suspect, up to date
with their jabs, I know I am - 4 years before the next one - and not
look closer to home?

Oh for goodness sake stop trying to score points by attempting a
sanctimonious jibe at what was a well-meaning warning brought on by an
accident that could befall us all. Remembering to get jabs is easily
forgotten by many and I wouldn't mind betting that most gardeners are
equally forgetful.

Stop trying it on, I can see the game you're trying to play. Don't
start that again Puce.

June Hughes 07-02-2007 06:11 PM

OT Tetanus jabs

In message , The Reid
writes
wrote:

Just a word of warning to those who haven't had a tetanus jab lately.
Please keep up to date!

mines out of date now, must get it fixed.

I have to admit, I had forgotten mine too. Haven't had one for many
years. Fancy forgetting that. Must do something about it.
--
June Hughes

La Puce 07-02-2007 06:19 PM

OT Tetanus jabs

On 7 Feb, 17:58, "Dave Poole" wrote:

Oh for goodness sake stop trying to score points by attempting a
sanctimonious jibe at what was a well-meaning warning brought on by an
accident that could befall us all. Remembering to get jabs is easily
forgotten by many and I wouldn't mind betting that most gardeners are
equally forgetful.
Stop trying it on, I can see the game you're trying to play. Don't
start that again Puce.

Ok. I'm sorry. You're right. It wasn't entirely intended in a 'bad'
sense though, and I was surprised that an event like this brought on a
warning about tetanus. I hope we'll hear from you when jokes are on
the OP at my expenses. Especially regarding fleas (and ticks etc) ;o)

Alan Holmes 07-02-2007 06:28 PM

OT Tetanus jabs

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

I had been getting these on a fairly regular basis, but the last time I went
to the Doc, he said he wouldn't give me any more as I was now immune!

Alan

Alan Holmes 07-02-2007 06:31 PM

OT Tetanus jabs

"Martin" wrote in message
On 7 Feb 2007 06:47:07 -0800, "La Puce" wrote:

On 7 Feb, 13:59, "Dave Liquorice" wrote:
Thats is just an infection, all be it a nasty one, not tetanus. Tetanus
causes muscle spasm hence the name "lock jaw".

Sure it wasn't - thank goodness (and me, locked jaw ... that would be
the day ;o))

But I got a jab there and then because the last one I had had I was 9
years old, after being bitten by a dog in Bridgewater, of all places.

You could have been bitten in a more painful place.

My eyes are now watering with the thought!

Alan

La Puce 07-02-2007 06:58 PM

OT Tetanus jabs

On 7 Feb, 18:31, "Alan Holmes" wrote:
My eyes are now watering with the thought!

Dirty man.

shazzbat 07-02-2007 09:26 PM

OT Tetanus jabs

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

I wasn't told I was immune exactly, but told not to bother with more
boosters unless I got an injury likely to cause tetanus.

Anyway, best wishes to Ray for a full recovery. Then he can stop swinging
the lead and get on with those posts and ropes :-))

Steve

Sacha 07-02-2007 11:08 PM

OT Tetanus jabs

On 7/2/07 16:21, in article
, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 14:47:27 +0000, Sacha wrote:

No, thank goodness. I was on the look out for that myself.

When I got cellulitis I'd never heard of it before let alone seen it,
thats why I basicaly ignored the first, very mild, signs. I won't do that
again! If you hit it with antibiotics early on it's not a problem but let
it get hold for a 24 to 48hrs and it becomes serious to life threatening.

The scary thing is that is comes from a very common bacteria that is part
of most peoples skin flora. You might not even be able to see the wound
that it gets in through.

Well, the update is that having seen the doc, the doc rang a bacteriologist
who said Ray should be seen by a hospital. So we went to Torbay hospital at
4pm. It took 7 attempts to get a line in to give him antibiotics in liquid
form - absolutely not the young doctor's fault, though she was nearly in
tears - and finally a nurse did it and pumped it into him. Then they said
that given the nature of the infection and the length of time he's had it,
they wanted him to go to Royal Devon & Exeter Hospital where they have a
plastic surgery unit and that, apparently, deals with hand cases - something
to do with the minute scale of surgery required, if any. Net result is that
they were checking carefully for damage to the sheaths that cover the nerves
(?) in the fingers and if the absolute worst happened would have to operate
to drain the infection. However, they have kept him in overnight and having
kept the canula thingy in his arm will give him antibiotics overnight and if
need be, all day tomorrow.
The one thing that they were *very* clear about was that while tet jabs are
important, having one earlier would have made no difference in this
instance. It's the bacterial infection from the dog's teeth that is the
problem.
The truly weird thing is that he's actually feeling better than he has for
several days and that might be psychosomatic because he's agreed to do
something positive (!) or it might be a genuine result of the antibiotics
working fast.

Sacha 07-02-2007 11:09 PM

OT Tetanus jabs

On 7/2/07 21:26, in article , "shazzbat"
wrote:

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

snip

I had been getting these on a fairly regular basis, but the last time I
went to the Doc, he said he wouldn't give me any more as I was now immune!

I wasn't told I was immune exactly, but told not to bother with more
boosters unless I got an injury likely to cause tetanus.

Anyway, best wishes to Ray for a full recovery. Then he can stop swinging
the lead and get on with those posts and ropes :-))

I'd never thought of that! Must have shoved his hand in Oscar's mouth
deliberately. ;-)

Sacha 07-02-2007 11:18 PM

OT Tetanus jabs

On 7/2/07 16:31, in article
, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 14:54:45 +0000, Sacha wrote:

Tetanus is one of the normal (UK) childhood immunisations, comes with
the one against diptheria and something else.

Dip. tet and polio.

Polio is one on it's own, used to be oral on a sugar lump. Wanders off
and finds the third was Whooping Cough.

I'm as sure as I can be that the nurse at the Ashburton Hospital told him
dip, tet and polio and I remember my children having that combined jab.
Polio top ups were the sugar lump and Pertussis was totally separate "in my
day". I think Polio was in the first jab because tiny children can't chew a
sugar lump. Maybe Ray got that jab because that's what she had available?!

snip

Farm1 07-02-2007 11:56 PM

OT Tetanus jabs

"Sacha" wrote in message

Just a word of warning to those who haven't had a tetanus jab

lately.
Please keep up to date! Those working with sharp implements and/or

delving
into the soil need them. My husband tried to separate two of our

dogs
having a fight last Friday and got bitten on his left hand.

Aaah the joys of dog ownership! I know it well. I find a foot
covered with a strong leather boot put between their chests with a
hefty sideways motion often works well. I learned long ago that hands
and dog's fangs don't make a good combo in this situation.

He absolutely
refused to go to the doctor, doing his tough ex-Para 'thing' (!)
Consequently, on Sunday morning he was in so much pain and his hand

so
swollen, with the pain travelling up his arm, that he had to go to

our local
hospital for a tetanus jab and has been put on hefty antibiotics.

We're
going to the doctor this morning for a check up because while it has
improved, his hand is still very swollen and poisoned and he can't

use it at
all. On top of this, he has been in bed, feeling pretty poorly and

sleeping
a lot, since last Sunday. This is extremely unlike him! So, if you

fall
into any 'at risk' category, please visit your doctor!

Poor man. I hope he's beginning to feel better Sacha.

Farm1 08-02-2007 12:34 AM

OT Tetanus jabs

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message

I got the red
tracking in my leg just before christmas a year or two back, didn't

think
much of it at first but ended up in hospital for four days

This comment has made me curious. I had drummed into me from
childhood on, that a red stripe moving out from a skin puncture was
REALLY serious and not to be ignored and I'm sure you know that too.

What were the circumstances that led to you ignoring the warning?.

Sacha 08-02-2007 12:35 AM

OT Tetanus jabs

On 7/2/07 23:56, in article
, "Farm1"
please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message

Just a word of warning to those who haven't had a tetanus jab

lately.
Please keep up to date! Those working with sharp implements and/or

delving
into the soil need them. My husband tried to separate two of our

dogs
having a fight last Friday and got bitten on his left hand.

Aaah the joys of dog ownership! I know it well. I find a foot
covered with a strong leather boot put between their chests with a
hefty sideways motion often works well. I learned long ago that hands
and dog's fangs don't make a good combo in this situation.

It's damned Jack Russells and a wire haired Dachshund that's the problem!
One Jackie and Oscar the whd, are tussling it out for who's leader of the
pack - or who is second in the pack. Oscar is entire, the JRs aren't but it
seems to make no difference to the JRs in terms of sheer bloody mindedness.
Love them both as I do, I will never have two together again!
They *love* people, even if they bark like demons and mostly, they love each
other but occasionally these furious outbursts happen over the classic "who
goes first through the door?"!
snip

Poor man. I hope he's beginning to feel better Sacha.

Thanks so much. Slowly mending and I hope the overnight hospital stay is
going to do the trick.

Sacha 08-02-2007 01:06 AM

OT Tetanus jabs

On 8/2/07 00:34, in article
, "Farm1"
please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message

I got the red
tracking in my leg just before christmas a year or two back, didn't

think
much of it at first but ended up in hospital for four days

This comment has made me curious. I had drummed into me from
childhood on, that a red stripe moving out from a skin puncture was
REALLY serious and not to be ignored and I'm sure you know that too.

What were the circumstances that led to you ignoring the warning?.

I'm guessing - and it really is just a guess - English climate and lack of
many *seriously* poisonous plants, insects etc.

Farm1 08-02-2007 01:58 AM

OT Tetanus jabs

"Sacha" wrote in message

Just a word of warning to those who haven't had a tetanus jab

lately.
Please keep up to date! Those working with sharp implements

and/or
delving
into the soil need them. My husband tried to separate two of our

dogs
having a fight last Friday and got bitten on his left hand.

Aaah the joys of dog ownership! I know it well. I find a foot
covered with a strong leather boot put between their chests with a
hefty sideways motion often works well. I learned long ago that

hands
and dog's fangs don't make a good combo in this situation.

It's damned Jack Russells

Snap! I have 2 Jack Russells and a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel .

I say it's the sublime to the rididulous - the sublime breed varies
given the circumstances - sometimes it's the JRs and sometimes the
King Chuck.

and a wire haired Dachshund that's the problem!
One Jackie and Oscar the whd, are tussling it out for who's leader

of the
pack - or who is second in the pack. Oscar is entire, the JRs

aren't but it
seems to make no difference to the JRs in terms of sheer bloody

mindedness.

I know exactly what you mean about JRs! In our case one of our JRs is
entire and the other isn't. My boy, (Bertrand Rusell Jack Russell -
aka Bertie) has been neutered and is a lovely wee man but he simply
won't let my husband's entire JR (just plain old Max - he's a thick
boofhead but a very good looking dog who has been called on to do his
duty in producing litters for neighbours) dominate him.

Sometimes Bertie just stands there and shakes with his head averted as
Max growls whilst guarding the food bowl or a human's feet or whatever
it is he's trying to be dominant about and sometimes Bertie will just
finally have enough and just go for him. But the problem is always
started by Max.

Love them both as I do, I will never have two together again!

I think that half the fun of JRs is having 2 together and we've not
really had any problems before till Max. But then we do live n a farm
and they go off hunting rabbits and things together and have a lovely
time. And we never really had a problem with them till the CKC
arrived. Max treats the CKC as being "his" bitch and Bertie is not
allowed to go near him. (But if the CKC starts rogering Bertie then
somehow Max sees that as being Bertie's fault and goes for Bertie).

They *love* people, even if they bark like demons and mostly, they

love each
other but occasionally these furious outbursts happen over the

classic "who
goes first through the door?"!

LOL. I can just picture it! The same thing happens here on a daily
basis. Like living in a 3 ring circus. But wouldn't life be quiet and
dull without the little brutes?

snip

Poor man. I hope he's beginning to feel better Sacha.

Thanks so much. Slowly mending and I hope the overnight hospital

stay is
going to do the trick.

I hope it does too. But there is also another dimension to this. I
always think an overnight stay in hospital is good for a man in any
circumstances. It knocks them off thier perch a bit and they stop
acting like Jack Russells for a short while (at least it's done so
with my husband who has recently retired and is still recovering from
the luxury of having 2,000 staff and thinks that I'll put up with his
attempts at managerial antics) ;-P

Farm1 08-02-2007 02:00 AM

OT Tetanus jabs

"Sacha" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:
"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message

I got the red
tracking in my leg just before christmas a year or two back,

didn't
think
much of it at first but ended up in hospital for four days

This comment has made me curious. I had drummed into me from
childhood on, that a red stripe moving out from a skin puncture

was
REALLY serious and not to be ignored and I'm sure you know that

too.

What were the circumstances that led to you ignoring the warning?.

I'm guessing - and it really is just a guess - English climate and

lack of
many *seriously* poisonous plants, insects etc.

That could be so I guess, but I would have thought that the warnings
about how to identify the spread of an infection would be a universal
thing?????????

Robert Goodrick 08-02-2007 07:37 AM

OT Tetanus jabs

Sacha wrote:

Just a word of warning to those who haven't had a tetanus jab lately.
Please keep up to date! Those working with sharp implements and/or delving
into the soil need them.

Some do and some don't. :-)

I have been known to play with sharp implements, my fist tetanus was in
62 after nicking the artery in my thumb. The next one that I had was
about ten years ago when I severed/cut two tendons in a finger, the
nurse asked me when the last one was and saw me pause and gave me a
double booster :-(

In the mean time between 62 - 97 [stop reading now Mike] I have had one
finger in a band saw [deep cut] that I just taped up. Stuck the blade of
a boning knife threw the joint of one finger [just taped up]. Filleted
the palm of my hand ... yes, just taped up. Clipped a main vain in the
arm in the wrist area close to the artery, blood shot up over a foot.
All I did was tape it up sat on the back step with a hot cup of tea and
a pack of cigarettes. Stabbed myself in the stomach with a boning knife
..... just taped it up.

I seem to have more problems if I go to the hospital as they want to
give me all these free things, all I have used on myself is telfa pads
and tape. And yes I have been told that I should get things seen too, I
have a wife who is a nurse and has been preaching to me for over thirty
five years. :-)

I tend to heal well and fast with little scaring, probably this is due
to healthy food, on the other hand I might have just been plain lucky.

Charlie Pridham 08-02-2007 09:00 AM

OT Tetanus jabs

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article om,
"Dave Liquorice" writes:
| On 7 Feb 2007 04:16:43 -0800, La Puce wrote:
|
| You have set me thinking.... I've never had a tetanus jab in my

whole
| life !!
|
| Tetanus is one of the normal (UK) childhood immunistaions, comes with

the
| one against diptheria and something else.

It used not to, but I don't know if it was given routinely in the UK.
I got it, often, but that was in a far country and, besides, the
vaccine is dead.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Both the kids had it as part of their childhood jabs and for years I had it
while travelling and our local health centre has up posters advising
gardeners to keep up to date although they always seem to want to give you
another if you do have a mishap ("Just in case"!)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Sacha 08-02-2007 09:01 AM

OT Tetanus jabs

On 8/2/07 01:58, in article
, "Farm1"
please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:

snip

Snap! I have 2 Jack Russells and a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel .

I say it's the sublime to the rididulous - the sublime breed varies
given the circumstances - sometimes it's the JRs and sometimes the
King Chuck.

One of my daughters has a KC bitch - sweet little dog but she can certainly
stand her ground with 'the boys'!

[...]

Our JRs are called Russell & Bromley and they're litter brothers. Russell
is the biggest wuss in terms of overall timidity about things and people new
and strange but he's also the one that starts most, if not all, of the
fights. The only time Oscar (the dachie) growls at the others is if they
threaten his food and that isn't often an option as he could easily
substitute for a hoover at mealtimes!

Love them both as I do, I will never have two together again!

I think that half the fun of JRs is having 2 together and we've not
really had any problems before till Max. But then we do live n a farm
and they go off hunting rabbits and things together and have a lovely
time. And we never really had a problem with them till the CKC
arrived. Max treats the CKC as being "his" bitch and Bertie is not
allowed to go near him. (But if the CKC starts rogering Bertie then
somehow Max sees that as being Bertie's fault and goes for Bertie).

All this sounds very familiar, too. Our two go rabbiting together and
always make me think of small boys who have a tear in their shorts and their
socks falling down and their shirt collars all over the place! They're very
popular here if they catch a rabbit or three, because rabbits and young
plants are not a good combination.
snip
Thanks so much. Slowly mending and I hope the overnight hospital
stay is
going to do the trick.

I hope it does too. But there is also another dimension to this. I
always think an overnight stay in hospital is good for a man in any
circumstances. It knocks them off thier perch a bit and they stop
acting like Jack Russells for a short while (at least it's done so
with my husband who has recently retired and is still recovering from
the luxury of having 2,000 staff and thinks that I'll put up with his
attempts at managerial antics) ;-P

Oh that isn't Ray. He's very quiet and unassuming in his way but at the
same time has quite a commanding presence. It's hard to explain but his
perch is secure. ;-)

Sacha 08-02-2007 09:02 AM

OT Tetanus jabs

On 8/2/07 02:00, in article
, "Farm1"
please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:
snip

I'm guessing - and it really is just a guess - English climate and

lack of
many *seriously* poisonous plants, insects etc.

That could be so I guess, but I would have thought that the warnings
about how to identify the spread of an infection would be a universal
thing?????????

It should be, I agree. I don't think we make quite so much of it here, no.