Old 08-02-2007, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Shaped Top Lapped Fencing Quality - Thank You.

Very many thanks to those who took the time
to answer my query. Very helpful, and I will
act upon the info and guidance.

Happy Pancake Day.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

John writes
Very many thanks to those who took the time
to answer my query. Very helpful, and I will
act upon the info and guidance.

Happy Pancake Day.

Pancake Day? When's Pancake Day? Have I missed it?
--
Kay
Old 08-02-2007, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K wrote:
John writes
Very many thanks to those who took the time
to answer my query. Very helpful, and I will
act upon the info and guidance.

Happy Pancake Day.

Pancake Day? When's Pancake Day? Have I missed it?

20th Feb this year, so no, you've not missed it.

Old 09-02-2007, 08:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
John writes
Very many thanks to those who took the time
to answer my query. Very helpful, and I will
act upon the info and guidance.

Happy Pancake Day.

Pancake Day? When's Pancake Day? Have I missed it?
Kay

Found this nice site with lots of info about Shrove Tuesday.....
http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch...ms/shrove.html
Jenny

Old 09-02-2007, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 9 Feb 2007 09:19:11 +0100, "JennyC"
wrote:

"K" wrote in message
John writes
Very many thanks to those who took the time
to answer my query. Very helpful, and I will
act upon the info and guidance.

Happy Pancake Day.

Pancake Day? When's Pancake Day? Have I missed it?
Kay

Found this nice site with lots of info about Shrove Tuesday.....
http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch...ms/shrove.html

They missed the Dutch and German carnivals.
Martin

its a BRITISH site :~)
Jenny

Old 09-02-2007, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote
Found this nice site with lots of info about Shrove Tuesday.....
http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch...ms/shrove.html

They missed the Dutch and German carnivals.
Martin

its a BRITISH site :~)
Jenny

" Pancake Day in Sweden
Pancake Day in Newfoundland, Canada

When is Pancake Day in France?"

It is the custom to prepare and eat crêpes on February 2nd and all through
the Mardi Gras season. Why this particular day? It's a bit shrouded in
mystery but many sources mention Pope Gélase I, who helped establish
Chandeleur and whose custom it was to feed crêpes to the pilgrims who
visited his church. The form and color of the crêpe also calls to mind the
sun, which is returning after its winter sleep.

Unlike in NL where everyday is pancake day.
Martin

lol :~)

Old 09-02-2007, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9 Feb, 13:49, "JennyC" wrote:
"Martin" wrote
When is Pancake Day in France?"

It is the custom to prepare and eat crêpes on February 2nd and all through
the Mardi Gras season. Why this particular day? It's a bit shrouded in
mystery but many sources mention Pope Gélase I, who helped establish
Chandeleur and whose custom it was to feed crêpes to the pilgrims who
visited his church. The form and color of the crêpe also calls to mind the
sun, which is returning after its winter sleep.

It's a christian thing - going to mass and eating the crepes before
sun down, or it's bad luck. Well, my grand ma used to make us around
100 crepes - took us till 10pm to get through it all ) It's when the
virgin Mary showed Jesus in the temple for the first time. Pope Vigil
(6thC) established the day which was replacing the paen celebration of
'running with torches' called Prospertine celebrations (to celebrate
the dead) after Pope Gelase mentioned the idea (5thC) but wasn't taken
by many, yet. There's lots around the crepe day - some did it to chase
bad spirits from the house, some to keep the lightings away (always
with lit candles), others made them using the hand which had just
touch money, so it was for future fortune. But my favourite was to
keep fleas away ...!!

Unlike in NL where everyday is pancake day.

We went to the Dutch Pancake House, again, (which I recommend very
much indeed) and we took a taxi home as we were all too fat to
walk )))