Old 13-02-2007, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Scented plant for inside

Hi everyone,

Looking for a scented plant to be grown inside with no direct light
(the room gets light from a huge window, but not directly to the
plant)... We want to put it in the upstairs hall and let it spread a
light and fresh scent around the stairs and first floor.

Any low maintenance suggestion?

Thanks in advance

Old 13-02-2007, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13 Feb, 09:42, "P. Alves" wrote:
Looking for a scented plant to be grown inside with no direct light
(the room gets light from a huge window, but not directly to the
plant)... We want to put it in the upstairs hall and let it spread a
light and fresh scent around the stairs and first floor.
Any low maintenance suggestion?

All flowering indoor plants require bright light and some of them need
sun. I have a jasmine which has no direct sun, but has light from a
window, again not 'directly' but sufficiently to survive. It's a
climber and likes to have a moist compost - so the maintenance there
is relatively light, it requires some nonetheless. I have one that
started on a little frame and I let it cascade now and another one
that runs around a window frame indoor, inside the kitchen window
(facing north east). There's other beautiful plant such as gardenia -
but they need full sun to partial shade and an ericaceous compost.
There's also the scented geranium. I have one mint and one lemon
scented, with fluffy leaves. But they are in a closed verandah as they
need sun light. Perhaps you could try to find an area in your hall by
the window?

Old 13-02-2007, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi,

Thanks for a quick reply. I was checking the room and yes I can give
it some ligh (at least during mornings).

I would prefer not be a climber, apart from that I do not mind some
maitenance and it does not need to be a flowering plant. I want
something pretty and scented...

Thanks again.

PA

Old 13-02-2007, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"P. Alves" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi everyone,

Looking for a scented plant to be grown inside with no direct light
(the room gets light from a huge window, but not directly to the
plant)... We want to put it in the upstairs hall and let it spread a
light and fresh scent around the stairs and first floor.

Any low maintenance suggestion?
Thanks in advance

Can't think of anything that will give long term scent. I presume you want
year round effect?
Freesias would work short term......
Jenny

Old 13-02-2007, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"P. Alves" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi everyone,

Looking for a scented plant to be grown inside with no direct light
(the room gets light from a huge window, but not directly to the
plant)... We want to put it in the upstairs hall and let it spread a
light and fresh scent around the stairs and first floor.

Any low maintenance suggestion?

Thanks in advance

No real scent but Aspidistras would fit he bill. There are several varieties
to choose from including a very nice slightly variegated leaved thing.
Unusual flowers grow at the base of the stems.
If you want to be a bit more exotic then Arisaema candidissimum fits the
bill.
This is one of the few common arisaemas that has a very delicate scent-the
rest smell like rotting goats.

Old 13-02-2007, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
PA PA is offline

Thanks Jenny,

Not necessarily. Of course the longer the better, but I can have 2 or 3
different plants and rotate them...

Thanks for the help.
Old 14-02-2007, 09:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"PA" alves#paulo@gmail#com wrote in message
Thanks Jenny,

Not necessarily. Of course the longer the better, but I can have 2 or 3
different plants and rotate them...

Thanks for the help.

Cyclamen or primulas?

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 14-02-2007, 10:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13 Feb, 09:42, "P. Alves" wrote:
Looking for a scented plant to be grown inside with no direct light
(the room gets light from a huge window, but not directly to the
plant)... We want to put it in the upstairs hall and let it spread a
light and fresh scent around the stairs and first floor.
Any low maintenance suggestion?

I have a brunfelsia, but I've never been able to ascertain which one,
which has beautifully scented flowers, NOW. I have seen brunfelsia
with bigger flowers (mine has flowers about 1+1/2 inches across. I've
seen them with bigger flowers but no scent.
It is known as "Yesterday, today and tomorrow" because the flowers
open purple, fade to pale mauve and then to white.
It survives in the sort of conditions you describe, but would only
give you scent in Feb.
I put mine outside in summer, and bring it in before frosts. It makes
a woody plant kept in control by pruning after flowering.

Pam in Bristol