Old 22-03-2003, 11:29 AM
Judy Rigby

Default Scented plants

I'm planning to fill a bed just outside the back patio doors with
scented plants. It's south facing & about 5' x 10'. In height I'm
looking to a maximum of about 3', but mostly lower growing plants.

I'd like a mixture of shrub, perennial & some annuals & self-seeders.
Can anyone help me out, please, by adding to the list of possible
candidates:

pinks
lavender
nicotiana
evening primrose
night scented stock
lilies
???
--
Judy
http://members.lycos.co.uk/bluelotusrising/index.html
Old 22-03-2003, 11:29 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Judy Rigby judy.rigby
@rigbys.demon.co.uk writes

I'm planning to fill a bed just outside the back patio doors with
scented plants. It's south facing & about 5' x 10'. In height I'm
looking to a maximum of about 3', but mostly lower growing plants.

I'd like a mixture of shrub, perennial & some annuals & self-seeders.
Can anyone help me out, please, by adding to the list of possible
candidates:

pinks
lavender
nicotiana
evening primrose
night scented stock
lilies
???

wallflower - scent early in the year.
Sarcococca, Viburnum bodnantense for winter scent
Honeysuckle - not necessarily one of the climbers, could use one of the
shrub ones.
Syringa microphylla - a fairly small repeat flowering lilac.
daffodils
lily of the valley

You'll have to choose your favourites! - you won't get all that lot in.

Try to get a succession throughout the year - I have wallflower followed
by honeysuckle, Euphorbia mellifera, lavender, nicotiana.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/
Old 22-03-2003, 11:29 AM
Pam Moore

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 21:57:56 +0000, Judy Rigby
wrote:

I'm planning to fill a bed just outside the back patio doors with
scented plants. It's south facing & about 5' x 10'. In height I'm
looking to a maximum of about 3', but mostly lower growing plants.

Sarcococca will eventually spread to about 3 feet high and wide but
mine has taken 10 years to do it. It will give you scent in Jan + Feb
and is evergreen.
Cheers
Pam

Bristol
Old 22-03-2003, 11:29 AM
Judy Rigby

Kay Easton writes
lily of the valley

Thank you ! How could I have forgotten that one Yes, I realise I'm
going to have to be selective here ... but it's good to have a range of
options. Any more ?
Old 22-03-2003, 11:29 AM
Stephen Howard

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 23:04:12 +0000, Judy Rigby
wrote:

Kay Easton writes
lily of the valley

Thank you ! How could I have forgotten that one Yes, I realise I'm
going to have to be selective here ... but it's good to have a range of
options. Any more ?

Heliotrope ( Cherry Pie? )
Compact, dense, clustered flower heads ( not unlike Sedums ), with a
gorgeous scent close up. The sort of flower you can bury your nose in!

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Old 22-03-2003, 11:29 AM
Martin Sykes

"Judy Rigby" wrote in message

I'm planning to fill a bed just outside the back patio doors with
scented plants. It's south facing & about 5' x 10'. In height I'm
looking to a maximum of about 3', but mostly lower growing plants.

I'd like a mixture of shrub, perennial & some annuals & self-seeders.
Can anyone help me out, please, by adding to the list of possible
candidates:

I'd put a couple of sweet peas up the wall as well. Matacuna (sp?) or
Painted Lady have the best scent.

I'd be a bit careful planting too many different scents in one place as well
as they may not mix well and you'll end up with something like the perfume
section in a department store - they always give me a headache. Lots of one
or two may be better.

Martin

Old 22-03-2003, 11:30 AM
Ken Saunders

Judy Rigby wrote in message ...
I'm planning to fill a bed just outside the back patio doors with
scented plants. It's south facing & about 5' x 10'. In height I'm
looking to a maximum of about 3', but mostly lower growing plants.

I'd like a mixture of shrub, perennial & some annuals & self-seeders.
Can anyone help me out, please, by adding to the list of possible
candidates:

pinks
lavender
nicotiana
evening primrose
night scented stock
lilies
???

.......Judy....Marvel of Peru.,mirabilis something....Ken.
Old 22-03-2003, 11:30 AM
Judy Rigby

Ken Saunders writes

......Judy....Marvel of Peru.,mirabilis something....Ken.

One of my clients gave me a mirabilis something. It promptly upped &
died on me ...
Old 22-03-2003, 11:30 AM
Jeff Taylor

In article , Judy Rigby judy.rigby
@rigbys.demon.co.uk writes

I'm planning to fill a bed just outside the back patio doors with
scented plants. It's south facing & about 5' x 10'. In height I'm
looking to a maximum of about 3', but mostly lower growing plants.

I'd like a mixture of shrub, perennial & some annuals & self-seeders.
Can anyone help me out, please, by adding to the list of possible
candidates:

pinks
lavender
nicotiana
evening primrose
night scented stock
lilies
???

Hi Judy,

Zaluzianskya capensis - Night Phlox

A hardy annual which opens up in the evening with a gorgeous scent -
still can't place it though :-)

Got to be my favourite scented plant.

Check it out at:

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/seeds...ct_6707_1.html