GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   This group (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/154474-group.html)

BoyPete 24-02-2007 09:55 PM

This group

I've lurked for ages, just posting occasionally. I do hope my pond
orientated posts don't annoy. My garden is about 20ft square, nearly half is
pond now. Most people here seem to be 'real' gardeners, something I'd love
to be if I had the room! I dream of retiring to a large old house with half
an acre..........yeah.....dream on. In the past, I've grown carrots, Swede,
peas, runner beans, lettuce etc, but until recently, especially sweet
corn......great picked and straight on the BBQ :) Now, I only have pots
:( Something which bugs me, is the use of the Latin names for plants. I
realise that if you are really into gardening, these things are important,
but to the likes of me........an interested wannabe, they are meaningless.
It would be nice if folk could call plants by their 'common' name perhaps
with the Latin in brackets? What do you think? Thanks for a great friendly
group. :)
--
ßôyþëtë

[email protected] 24-02-2007 10:01 PM

This group

On 24 Feb, 21:55, "BoyPete" wrote:
[...]

Nobody will be annoyed at you for your question, I too am a total
amateur, I don't know one latin name from another. This is not an
expert gardener group, but there are lots of experts here who remain
solely for people like you and I to advise and help along, they will
never ridicule you and I am sure now that you have asked this
question, that they will also post the common names.

I'm glad you find the group friendly, on the whole, we really are,
there are just a couple of flies in the ointment which hopefully will
buzz off soon.

Kind regards

Judith at home

Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) 24-02-2007 10:11 PM

This group

"BoyPete" wrote in message
[...]

If you have grown all those veg then you are already a proper gardener.
Any idiot can grow annuals and perennials but veg gardening requires much
more skill.
Forget the half acre, some of the best and most charming gardens are
contained in very small areas.
As for the names bit-they aren't really Latin or scientific and sometimes
not even botanical.
You can talk about Busy Lizzie if you want but I prefer the name Impatiens
because the former name means different things to different people,
particularly outside the UK.

Now go way and do your homework and report back on "Amorphophallus" :-)

Bob Hobden 24-02-2007 10:13 PM

This group

"BoyPete" wrote ...
[...]

Well there are two views about Latin names, yours is one and I realise it
can put a lot of people off, but the main advantage of them is everyone in
the world then knows exactly what plant you are talking about because the
Latin name is universal. For example, a Geranium sp, however if you talk in
common names and say Geranium we wouldn't know if you meant a true hardy
(mostly) Geranium or those tender Zonal Pelargonium often sold as Geraniums
and used for summer bedding. A similar situation pertains with Datura and
Brugmansia and it goes on.
Perhaps those of us with a bit of knowledge about Latin names should try to
use both.
I'll try and remember. Promise. :-)

--
Regards
Bob H

La Puce 24-02-2007 10:21 PM

This group

On 24 Feb, 21:55, "BoyPete" wrote:

Something which bugs me, is the use of the Latin names for plants. I
realise that if you are really into gardening, these things are important,
but to the likes of me........an interested wannabe, they are meaningless.
It would be nice if folk could call plants by their 'common' name perhaps
with the Latin in brackets? What do you think? Thanks for a great friendly
group. :)

Sure. I've just realised I've given you latin name for two grasses -
out of 4 though in your last thread ;o)
Well, the thing is I sometimes don't know them by a common name. Or if
I do it's a French common name! It's a good idea though and with a
common name I find I retain the latin name better.

Stewart Robert Hinsley 24-02-2007 10:27 PM

This group

In message , BoyPete
writes
[...]

The problem with common names is sometimes there are several different
vernacular names that apply to a single plant (I've recorded 13 applying
to Lagunaria patersonia), and sometimes one vernacular name applies to
several plants, and sometimes both at once. The situation with botanical
names is not perfect, but not as potentially confusing as with
vernacular names.

Many botanical names are used happily by people who don't necessarily
realise that they are using them - for example Geranium (cranesbill,
when not being used for Pelargonium), Aster (michaelmas daisies, etc,
but also used for several other genera such as Callistephus, Stokesia
and Tithonia), Hibiscus, Chrysanthemum (except that the botanists now
call the florists' chrysanthemums Dendranthema), Dahlia, Thuja,
Cotoneaster, Pyracantha (firethorn), Amelanchier (juneberry?),
Narcissus, Gladiolus (sword lily), Hosta (plantain lily), Agapanthus
(African lily), ...
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

BoyPete 24-02-2007 10:29 PM

This group

Bob Hobden wrote:
"BoyPete" wrote ...

snip

Well there are two views about Latin names, yours is one and I
realise it can put a lot of people off, but the main advantage of
them is everyone in the world then knows exactly what plant you are
talking about because the Latin name is universal. For example, a
Geranium sp, however if you talk in common names and say Geranium we
wouldn't know if you meant a true hardy (mostly) Geranium or those
tender Zonal Pelargonium often sold as Geraniums and used for summer
bedding. A similar situation pertains with Datura and Brugmansia and
it goes on. Perhaps those of us with a bit of knowledge about Latin names
should
try to use both.
I'll try and remember. Promise. :-)

Thanks Bob :)
--
ßôyþëtë

BoyPete 24-02-2007 10:34 PM

This group

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"BoyPete" wrote in message

snip

If you have grown all those veg then you are already a proper
gardener. Any idiot can grow annuals and perennials but veg gardening
requires much more skill.
Forget the half acre, some of the best and most charming gardens are
contained in very small areas.
As for the names bit-they aren't really Latin or scientific and
sometimes not even botanical.
You can talk about Busy Lizzie if you want but I prefer the name
Impatiens because the former name means different things to different
people, particularly outside the UK.

Now go way and do your homework and report back on "Amorphophallus"
:-)

You mean Elephant Yam? AKA Amorphophallus paeoniifolius ? Of the Araceae
family I beleive. Not my sort of thing really :)
--
ßôyþëtë

Stewart Robert Hinsley 24-02-2007 10:39 PM

This group

In message , "Rupert (W.Yorkshire)"
writes

"BoyPete" wrote in message
[...]

But Impatiens means many different things. There's the "New Guinea
Impatiens" grown as bedding plants, the Himalayan Balsam which is taken
over watercourses, Impatiens tinctoria which is grown as an ornamental
perennial, and more besides. In this case, either choice - Busy Lizzie
or Impations - depends on context for correct understanding.

Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) 24-02-2007 11:22 PM

This group

"BoyPete" wrote in message
Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"BoyPete" wrote in message

If you have grown all those veg then you are already a proper
gardener. Any idiot can grow annuals and perennials but veg gardening
requires much more skill.
Forget the half acre, some of the best and most charming gardens are
contained in very small areas.
As for the names bit-they aren't really Latin or scientific and
sometimes not even botanical.
You can talk about Busy Lizzie if you want but I prefer the name
Impatiens because the former name means different things to different
people, particularly outside the UK.

Now go way and do your homework and report back on "Amorphophallus"
:-)

You mean Elephant Yam? AKA Amorphophallus paeoniifolius ? Of the Araceae
family I beleive. Not my sort of thing really
--
ßôyþëtë

Excellent --Good lad. I quite agree not everyone would want an
Amorphophallus:-)
The Latin names often convey much more detail about a plant in a very
concise manner but as SRH has pointed out it is far from perfect.
I will try harder and give both names-promise.
Meanwhile this site is quite good.
http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/D_latin.html

Alan Holmes 24-02-2007 11:33 PM

This group

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"BoyPete" wrote ...
[...]

Are there latin names for such things as sprouts, peas, cabbage, carrots,
strawberries, runner beans and sweet corn?

But if there are please do not confuse me!

Alan

--
Regards
Bob H

Stewart Robert Hinsley 25-02-2007 12:05 AM

This group

In message , Alan Holmes
writes

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"BoyPete" wrote ...
[...]

Yes.

But if there are please do not confuse me!

OK.

Alan

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Sacha 25-02-2007 12:23 AM

This group

On 24/2/07 21:55, in article , "BoyPete"
wrote:

[...]

The problem is Common names common to where? In UK they change from county
to county or even parish to parish so it's not helpful.
If the Latin names are used, they're recognised all over the world. That's
why they're used - for plantspeople and gardeners, it's the universal
language. I think it might be helpful to you to look at the Latin names and
then check out the common names which will be entirely different in every
corner of the planet.
To take one wild plant alone, I've seen it named here as 'goose grass',
'sticky willie' and 'cleavers', depending on the region the poster comes
from. Latin names are unequivocal if you're talking to someone in
Berkshire or Bareclona.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

[email protected] 25-02-2007 01:10 AM

This group

wrote:
[...]

Now then Sacha, I don't live in Berkshire or Barcelona, so I use the
common name as I am ignorant.

Judith at home and still not at work

Dave Poole 25-02-2007 05:26 AM

This group

Rupert wrote:

Forget the half acre, some of the best and most charming gardens are
contained in very small areas.

Very true and it is very much more difficult to garden successfully in
a small space. Any fool can hide a multitude of sins in a large
garden, but the slightest 'hiccup' in a small garden becomes glaringly
obvious. I like the fact that you've taken the bold step of
installing such a proportionally large pond. Most folks do the
opposite and create tiny features and plant tiny plants. It is a huge
mistake that accentuates the limitations of the plot. If well
executed, large bold features and plants can create the impression of
space.

As for the names bit-they aren't really Latin or scientific and sometimes
not even botanical.

Ah the complexities of Latin, Greek, Sanskrit and Arabic, let alone
mention the latinised human names!

You can talk about Busy Lizzie if you want but .....

Now go way and do your homework and report back on "Amorphophallus" :-)

Rupert! You've been reading far too many of Oasian posts ;-)

Don't take any notice BoyPete and for goodness sake, never admit to
having one! For my sins I have several, but I've been around long
enough not to care about what people think :-)

Dave Poole 25-02-2007 05:39 AM

This group

Alan Holmes wrote:

Are there latin names for such things as sprouts, peas, cabbage, carrots,
strawberries, runner beans and sweet corn?

Brassica oleracea 'gemmifera', Pisum sativum, Brassica oleracea,
Daucum carota, Fragaria x ananasa, Phaseolus coccinea, Zea mays.

But if there are please do not confuse me!

Oh sorry Alan, I do apologise. It sort of slipped out ... a bit like
Rupert's Amorphophallus :-o

JennyC 25-02-2007 07:21 AM

This group

"BoyPete" wrote in message
[...]

Hi
I too am very bad with the Latin name....but they can be confusing as people
call things different names in different parts of the country.

Also Latin can be handy when looking for stuff - especially on the net. I
use these sometimes to translate stuff:
http://www.pp.clinet.fi/~mygarden/diction2.htm
http://www.plantpress.com/dictionary.html

Jenny

JennyC 25-02-2007 07:26 AM

This group

"Alan Holmes" wrote

Are there latin names for such things as sprouts, peas, cabbage, carrots,
strawberries, runner beans and sweet corn?

But if there are please do not confuse me!
Alan

I LOVE confusing people :~)
http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/veggies/latin.html
Jenny

JennyC 25-02-2007 07:27 AM

This group

"La Puce" wrote in message
ps.com...
On 24 Feb, 21:55, "BoyPete" wrote:

Something which bugs me, is the use of the Latin names for plants. I
realise that if you are really into gardening, these things are
important,
but to the likes of me........an interested wannabe, they are
meaningless.
It would be nice if folk could call plants by their 'common' name perhaps
with the Latin in brackets? What do you think? Thanks for a great
friendly
group. :)

Sure. I've just realised I've given you latin name for two grasses -
out of 4 though in your last thread ;o)
Well, the thing is I sometimes don't know them by a common name. Or if
I do it's a French common name! It's a good idea though and with a
common name I find I retain the latin name better.

And I find I sometimes know what a thing is called in either English, Dutch
or even German....but the Latin nearly always escapes me :~)
Jenny

BoyPete 25-02-2007 07:37 AM

This group

Sacha wrote:
On 24/2/07 21:55, in article ,
"BoyPete" wrote:

snip

The problem is Common names common to where? In UK they change from
county to county or even parish to parish so it's not helpful.
If the Latin names are used, they're recognised all over the world.
That's why they're used - for plantspeople and gardeners, it's the
universal language. I think it might be helpful to you to look at
the Latin names and then check out the common names which will be
entirely different in every corner of the planet.
To take one wild plant alone, I've seen it named here as 'goose
grass', 'sticky willie' and 'cleavers', depending on the region the
poster comes from. Latin names are unequivocal if you're talking to
someone in Berkshire or Bareclona.

Yes, I understand that now. Still, it's very off-putting to the likes of me
to see all that Latin in a post, and I tend to skip them.....possibly
missing some useful info.
--
ßôyþëtë

Rob Hamadi 25-02-2007 07:54 AM

This group

On Feb 25, 5:39 am, "Dave Poole" wrote:
Alan Holmes wrote:
Are there latin names for such things as sprouts, peas, cabbage, carrots,
strawberries, runner beans and sweet corn?

Brassica oleracea 'gemmifera', Pisum sativum, Brassica oleracea,
Daucum carota, Fragaria x ananasa, Phaseolus coccinea, Zea mays.

Now that was educational. I saw Pisum sativum, thought "surely peas
can't be a type of garlic!" and googled. I now know that sativa means
sown or cultivated.

How shaky would my ground be if I were to assume that, as a general
rule, the first word of the latin name IDs the plant and the second is
sort of extra information, style of thing?
--
Rob

Broadback 25-02-2007 08:57 AM

This group

JennyC wrote:
"BoyPete" wrote in message
[...]

Using Latin names is confusing enough for me, but why do they so often
seem to change plant names?

Cerumen[_3_] 25-02-2007 09:23 AM

This group

"BoyPete" wrote in message
[...]

Yes both latin and common names would be best but the latin names do serve a
purpose in that they positively identify what is being referred to whereas
common names can mislead. One good example is swede and turnip, which are
transposed by some people in different parts of the world. I'm not about to
start an argument about which is which but with the latin names there can be
no argument.

--
Chris, West Cork, Ireland.

Stewart Robert Hinsley 25-02-2007 09:55 AM

This group

In message . com, Rob
Hamadi writes
Alan Holmes wrote:
Are there latin names for such things as sprouts, peas, cabbage, carrots,
strawberries, runner beans and sweet corn?

Brassica oleracea 'gemmifera', Pisum sativum, Brassica oleracea,
Daucum carota, Fragaria x ananasa, Phaseolus coccinea, Zea mays.

Now that was educational. I saw Pisum sativum, thought "surely peas
can't be a type of garlic!" and googled. I now know that sativa means
sown or cultivated.

How shaky would my ground be if I were to assume that, as a general
rule, the first word of the latin name IDs the plant and the second is
sort of extra information, style of thing?
--
Rob

Depends on what you mean by "the plant". The first word is the genus
which identifies a group of related plants, and the second word is the
specific epithet, which identifies the species, which is probably what a
botanist would identify as the plant.

After that it all gets more complicated - species can be divided into
subspecies, varieties (e.g. Malva moschata var. heterophylla, which is a
variety of musk mallow with less divided leaves), forms (e.g. Malva
moschata f. alba, which is the white-flowered form) and even subforms,
and there are also cultivars - cultivated varieties - of several
different categories, and also selling names. For example Lavatera olbia
'Eyecatcher' is a cultivar of Lavatera olbia, and Lavatera x clementii
Chamallow is a selling name of the cultivar Lavatera x clementii
'Innovera'. Cultivars can be arranged in groups, e.g. Malva sylvestris
Sterile Blue Group, consisting of the sterile (are they all?)
blue-flowered forms of the common mallow.

There are hybrids between subspecies, species and even genera giving
rise to nothogenera (e.g. x Sorbopyrus, which is a hybrids between a
Sorbus - I forget whether it was whitebeam or a rowan - and a pear),
nothospecies (e.g. Lavatera x clementii, the common shrubby Lavatera of
gardens, which is a hybrid between the shrubby Lavatera olbia and the
herbaceous Lavatera thuringiaca) and nothosubspecies. Nomenclature-wise,
when you get to rhododendrons and orchids you also have grexes, which
include all hybrids of a particular parentage.

In the case of large - or even not so large - genera, genera are divided
into subgenera, sections, subsections, series and subseries. For example
the common mallow, and several weedy species belong to section Malva of
genus Malva, and the musk mallow, Malva moschata, the hollyhock mallow,
Malva alcea, and their hybrid Malva x intermedia, belong to section
Bismalva. Subgenera etc are not usually represented in the name of a
plant.

Above the genus plants are grouped into larger categories (all of these,
including the ones described above, are collectively known as taxa -
singular taxon). The required ranks are family, order, class [1] and
division (or phylum), but botanists can also use subtribe, tribe,
subfamily, suborder, subclass and subdivision if they want. (Zoologists
have even more choices.) Informal groups of genera - groups or alliance
- fill the gap between genus and subtribe in some groups.

[1] The recent classifications from the Angiosperm Phylogeny Group don't
use the rank of class, but define a number of informal supraordinal
taxa.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Stewart Robert Hinsley 25-02-2007 10:03 AM

This group

In message , BoyPete
writes
Sacha wrote:
On 24/2/07 21:55, in article ,
"BoyPete" wrote:

snip

The problem is Common names common to where? In UK they change from
county to county or even parish to parish so it's not helpful.
If the Latin names are used, they're recognised all over the world.
That's why they're used - for plantspeople and gardeners, it's the
universal language. I think it might be helpful to you to look at
the Latin names and then check out the common names which will be
entirely different in every corner of the planet.
To take one wild plant alone, I've seen it named here as 'goose
grass', 'sticky willie' and 'cleavers', depending on the region the
poster comes from. Latin names are unequivocal if you're talking to
someone in Berkshire or Bareclona.

Yes, I understand that now. Still, it's very off-putting to the likes of me
to see all that Latin in a post, and I tend to skip them.....possibly
missing some useful info.

Botanical names are no harder, in principle, to cope with than
vernacular names. All you have to do is not let them intimidate you.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Nick Maclaren 25-02-2007 10:09 AM

This group

In article ,
Broadback writes:

| Using Latin names is confusing enough for me, but why do they so often
| seem to change plant names?

Fundamentalist dogma.

Seriously. There was an agreement on how to slected a particular name
if several authors had used different ones for the same species, or if
what were two species turned out to be variants of one. Fine. All
well and good, but the (botanical) religious ferverts got the upper
hand over the (horticultural) pragmatists and turned a sound rule into
a Holy Doctrine.

There is a pragmatic rule for genera, which is very necessary to avoid
generic names changing every time someone discovers a mouldering paper
to the Botanical Society of Novosibirsk in 1800. But there is no such
rule for specific names, which is why we get abominations like Viburnum
farreri - which is STILL called V. fragrans in horticulture, quite
reasonably. This interacts with the ongoing war between the 'splitters'
and 'clumpers' religious sects, because they need to fiddle the names
every time they reshuffle the species.

All right, that's the jaundiced viewpoint, and you can can equally well
spin the same facts into a 'best effort' solution to an intractable
problem, handicapped by reactionary and carping ignoramuses :-)

The root cause is that, as Oscar Wilde said, the truth is rarely pure
and never simple. And dividing even the higher plants into species
is most definitely a truth of that form! So all schemes will be
unsatisfactory, and arbitrary rules are needed but absolute ones will
always get individual cases wrong. It IS an intractable problem.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Stewart Robert Hinsley 25-02-2007 10:12 AM

This group

In message , Broadback
writes
JennyC wrote:
"BoyPete" wrote in message
[...]

The botanical names of plants reflect botanists opinion as to how they
should be classified. Botanists change their opinions as new evidence is
uncovered. There is also the eternal war between the lumpers (who place
more plants in a single species or genus) and the splitters (who divide
them into more species and genera).

But botanical names are not all that unstable - many of them go back all
the way to the mid-18th century.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Sacha 25-02-2007 10:25 AM

This group

On 25/2/07 05:26, in article
, "Dave Poole"
wrote:

Rupert wrote:

Forget the half acre, some of the best and most charming gardens are
contained in very small areas.

Very true and it is very much more difficult to garden successfully in
a small space. Any fool can hide a multitude of sins in a large
garden, but the slightest 'hiccup' in a small garden becomes glaringly
obvious. I like the fact that you've taken the bold step of
installing such a proportionally large pond. Most folks do the
opposite and create tiny features and plant tiny plants. It is a huge
mistake that accentuates the limitations of the plot. If well
executed, large bold features and plants can create the impression of
space.

Your own garden is a testament to what can be achieved in a really small
area and be made into something stunning.

As for the names bit-they aren't really Latin or scientific and sometimes
not even botanical.

Ah the complexities of Latin, Greek, Sanskrit and Arabic, let alone
mention the latinised human names!

You can talk about Busy Lizzie if you want but .....

Now go way and do your homework and report back on "Amorphophallus" :-)

Rupert! You've been reading far too many of Oasian posts ;-)

Don't take any notice BoyPete and for goodness sake, never admit to
having one! For my sins I have several, but I've been around long
enough not to care about what people think :-)

And the latter should be the motto of all gardeners - it's your patch of the
world, do what you like in it. The other day, driving back from Dulverton,
we were stopped by some temporary traffic lights and on our right was a very
ordinary, sloping lawn in front of a bungalow. I don't think there was a
flower bed in sight. It was absolutely plastered with all kinds of statuette
things - geese, cats, a collie, a golfer, a shire horse, rabbits etc. etc.
It's the sort of thing I'd run a mile from myself but we couldn't take our
eyes off it! Ray said that it must be murder every time they cut the grass
and had to move everything and I said that was probably half the fun of it
because then they can 'play' at re-arranging their little planet!

Sacha 25-02-2007 10:28 AM

This group

On 25/2/07 07:37, in article , "BoyPete"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
On 24/2/07 21:55, in article
,
"BoyPete" wrote:

snip

The problem is Common names common to where? In UK they change from
county to county or even parish to parish so it's not helpful.
If the Latin names are used, they're recognised all over the world.
That's why they're used - for plantspeople and gardeners, it's the
universal language. I think it might be helpful to you to look at
the Latin names and then check out the common names which will be
entirely different in every corner of the planet.
To take one wild plant alone, I've seen it named here as 'goose
grass', 'sticky willie' and 'cleavers', depending on the region the
poster comes from. Latin names are unequivocal if you're talking to
someone in Berkshire or Bareclona.

Yes, I understand that now. Still, it's very off-putting to the likes of me
to see all that Latin in a post, and I tend to skip them.....possibly
missing some useful info.

If you can bear to bring yourself to learn them - at least the ones that
interest you, it will make it easier when you want to discuss them. I know
that some people mistakenly think that gardeners use Latin names to be
'snobby' but it does mean that whether we're talking to someone from Japan
to Katmandu, we all know what we're talking about.
OTOH, it doesn't stop us using the common names either!

Sacha 25-02-2007 10:30 AM

This group

On 25/2/07 08:57, in article , "Broadback"
wrote:

snip
Using Latin names is confusing enough for me, but why do they so often
seem to change plant names?

It's to do with classifying them properly from the purist's botanical pov.
I see why it's done but it irritates, I must admit. It's like that lovely
lemon scented leafed thing which I still call Lippia citrodora (also known
as lemon verbena to some) That has a 'new' name but I just cannot get it
into my head and never, ever remember it.

Stewart Robert Hinsley 25-02-2007 10:54 AM

This group

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
Broadback writes:

| Using Latin names is confusing enough for me, but why do they so often
| seem to change plant names?

Fundamentalist dogma.

Seriously. There was an agreement on how to slected a particular name
if several authors had used different ones for the same species, or if
what were two species turned out to be variants of one. Fine. All
well and good, but the (botanical) religious ferverts got the upper
hand over the (horticultural) pragmatists and turned a sound rule into
a Holy Doctrine.

There is a pragmatic rule for genera, which is very necessary to avoid
generic names changing every time someone discovers a mouldering paper
to the Botanical Society of Novosibirsk in 1800. But there is no such
rule for specific names, which is why we get abominations like Viburnum
farreri - which is STILL called V. fragrans in horticulture, quite
reasonably. This interacts with the ongoing war between the 'splitters'
and 'clumpers' religious sects, because they need to fiddle the names
every time they reshuffle the species.

There is a pragmatic rule for species as well, if you're talking about
conservation of widely used names over earlier published names. For
example Adansonia gregori (the Australian baobab) is conserved over
Adansonia gibbosa, and Luehea speciosa over Luehea alternifolia.

One other cause of name changes is embracing of the principle of
monophyly by taxonomists, combined with new data from DNA sequencing.
(The whole of Cactaceae is nested in one genus of Portulacaceae, but
this is 'fixed' by splitting that genus - not by the joking suggestion
to sink all several thousand species of cacti into that genus; and all
other genera of Cactaceae into the genus Perevskia - I haven't seen a
proposed solution for this. Data is not always unambiguous, so botanists
tend to be conservative about changing generic circumscriptions -
waiting until the data is clear.)

There's problems in the pipeline with Hibiscus, and even with generic
circumscriptions between Malva, Lavatera and Althaea.

Sacha 25-02-2007 11:09 AM

This group

On 25/2/07 10:03, in article lid, "Stewart Robert
Hinsley" wrote:

In message , BoyPete
writes

snip
Yes, I understand that now. Still, it's very off-putting to the likes of me
to see all that Latin in a post, and I tend to skip them.....possibly
missing some useful info.

Botanical names are no harder, in principle, to cope with than
vernacular names. All you have to do is not let them intimidate you.

I'm guessing that for some people it's to do with pronunciation, too. But
if you break it down into chewable syllables, it's much easier. And as to
the *correct* way to pronounce things I wouldn't even begin to consider that
as off putting because there seem to be as many variations in that field as
there are plants to learn about. It's the old CLEMatis opposed to CleMAYtis
thing and doesn't matter a jot, IMO, except as a bit of fun to argue about.
;-)

Stewart Robert Hinsley 25-02-2007 11:09 AM

This group

In message , Sacha
writes
On 25/2/07 08:57, in article , "Broadback"
wrote:

snip
Using Latin names is confusing enough for me, but why do they so often
seem to change plant names?

It's to do with classifying them properly from the purist's botanical pov.
I see why it's done but it irritates, I must admit. It's like that lovely
lemon scented leafed thing which I still call Lippia citrodora (also known
as lemon verbena to some) That has a 'new' name but I just cannot get it
into my head and never, ever remember it.

Aloysia triphylla. (I had to look up the triphylla bit.)

Both triphylla and citriodora are old epithets for this plant;
presumably triphylla is the older. Both have a record of usage.

Both epithets were original published in Verbena. Lippia is an older
name than Aloysia, so the choice of Aloysia is presumably a result of
the division of various plants among genera, rather than of the
application of the principle of priority.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Rob Hamadi 25-02-2007 11:18 AM

This group

On Feb 25, 9:55 am, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message . com, Rob
Hamadi writes

How shaky would my ground be if I were to assume that, as a general
rule, the first word of the latin name IDs the plant and the second is
sort of extra information, style of thing?

Depends on what you mean by "the plant". The first word is the genus
which identifies a group of related plants, and the second word is the
specific epithet, which identifies the species, which is probably what a
botanist would identify as the plant.

I get you, as in (IIRC) cherries being Prunus whatever and apples
being a type of rose and so forth.

After that it all gets more complicated -

-snip complicated stuff-

You'll get no argument from me there... ;-)

--
Rob

Nick Maclaren 25-02-2007 11:30 AM

This group

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:

| There is a pragmatic rule for species as well, if you're talking about
| conservation of widely used names over earlier published names. For
| example Adansonia gregori (the Australian baobab) is conserved over
| Adansonia gibbosa, and Luehea speciosa over Luehea alternifolia.

When was that introduced? And is it sufficiently flexible to cancel
that damn-fool V. farreri and similar namings?

[ Beyond this point, I apologise to anyone who has trouble botanical
jargon; skip the posting. ]

| One other cause of name changes is embracing of the principle of
| monophyly by taxonomists, combined with new data from DNA sequencing.

Er, yes, but the very concepts of that are likely to be confusing to
someone who had trouble with Latin names! Also, there is a serious
flaw with the basic concept of monophyly, because we know that it
isn't even remotely true at the specific level and it is unclear how
reliable it is even for 'wild' taxa at the generic level. It's OK
for vertebrates, but a poor model for anything else. It doesn't
really become reliable for the higher plants until more like the
tribe level (depending on family, of course).

I know that I have asked before, but I am still interested in any
papers that do any reasonably sound analysis of a fairly wide area;
I have no interest in a new classification of Arabis with especial
reference to geographical variation, for example. If you bump across
one, please tell me.

But ANY paper that PROPOSES a classification on the basis of a
selected subset of characteristics without describing the effect on
the other known ones is irretrievably wrong-headed, as we all knew
40 years ago! And most of the ones that I found were like that :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Stewart Robert Hinsley 25-02-2007 11:33 AM

This group

In message . com, Rob
Hamadi writes
On Feb 25, 9:55 am, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message . com, Rob
Hamadi writes

How shaky would my ground be if I were to assume that, as a general
rule, the first word of the latin name IDs the plant and the second is
sort of extra information, style of thing?

Depends on what you mean by "the plant". The first word is the genus
which identifies a group of related plants, and the second word is the
specific epithet, which identifies the species, which is probably what a
botanist would identify as the plant.

I get you, as in (IIRC) cherries being Prunus whatever and apples
being a type of rose and so forth.

Not all Prunus are cherries - Prunus also includes almonds, plums,
damsons, peaches, nectarines, apricots, bullaces, sloes, cherry laurels,
etc.

Apples (like Cherries) belong to the rose family (Rosaceae), but the
term rose is usually restricted to genus Rosa, which doesn't include
apples (which are more closely related to rowans, whitebeams, pears,
hawthorns, medlars, etc). That's when rose isn't being applied to some
even more distantly related plant, such as desert rose, rock rose, sun
rose, Confederate rose, stone rose, Rose of China, Rose of Sharon.

Sally Thompson 25-02-2007 12:16 PM

This group

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 10:30:13 +0000, Sacha wrote
(in article ) :

On 25/2/07 08:57, in article , "Broadback"
wrote:

snip
Using Latin names is confusing enough for me, but why do they so often
seem to change plant names?

It's to do with classifying them properly from the purist's botanical pov.
I see why it's done but it irritates, I must admit. It's like that lovely
lemon scented leafed thing which I still call Lippia citrodora (also known
as lemon verbena to some) That has a 'new' name but I just cannot get it
into my head and never, ever remember it.

Perhaps you could just call it the Plant Formerly Known as Lemon Verbena :-)

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
bed and breakfast near Ludlow:

Sacha 25-02-2007 12:42 PM

This group

On 25/2/07 11:09, in article lid, "Stewart Robert
Hinsley" wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes
On 25/2/07 08:57, in article
, "Broadback"
wrote:

snip
Using Latin names is confusing enough for me, but why do they so often
seem to change plant names?

It's to do with classifying them properly from the purist's botanical pov.
I see why it's done but it irritates, I must admit. It's like that lovely
lemon scented leafed thing which I still call Lippia citrodora (also known
as lemon verbena to some) That has a 'new' name but I just cannot get it
into my head and never, ever remember it.

Aloysia triphylla. (I had to look up the triphylla bit.)

Thanks, Stewart - saved me a trip downstairs to get the Plant Finder!

Both triphylla and citriodora are old epithets for this plant;
presumably triphylla is the older. Both have a record of usage.

Both epithets were original published in Verbena. Lippia is an older
name than Aloysia, so the choice of Aloysia is presumably a result of
the division of various plants among genera, rather than of the
application of the principle of priority.

Er, yes. ;-) I'll feel better when the aspirin start to work.

Stewart Robert Hinsley 25-02-2007 12:43 PM

This group

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes
| There is a pragmatic rule for species as well, if you're talking about
| conservation of widely used names over earlier published names. For
| example Adansonia gregori (the Australian baobab) is conserved over
| Adansonia gibbosa, and Luehea speciosa over Luehea alternifolia.

When was that introduced? And is it sufficiently flexible to cancel
that damn-fool V. farreri and similar namings?

I don't know when it was introduced.

I doubt that the relevant committee would reverse a 40 year old name
change. But, if I understand the situation with Vibernum dubium,
fragrans and farreri (Viburnum fragans Loisel. a rarely used synonym of
Viburnum dubium, and an early homonym of the widely used Viburnum
fragrans Bunge), a proposal for conservation in a similar situation
would probably pass nowadays.

The orphan plant Cedrela alternifolia (it was known not to be a Cedrela,
but no-one knew what it really was) was recently identified as a
specimen of the plant known as Luehea speciosa, thus making, as C.
alternatifolia was the earlier name, L. alternifolia the correct name.
However in the meantime everyone had used L. speciosa, even if most of
the usage was confined to botanical manuals (e.g. De Candolle's
Prodromus) and Neotropical floras (e.g. Martius' Flora Brasiliensis).
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley