Old 24-02-2007, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default This group

I've lurked for ages, just posting occasionally. I do hope my pond
orientated posts don't annoy. My garden is about 20ft square, nearly half is
pond now. Most people here seem to be 'real' gardeners, something I'd love
to be if I had the room! I dream of retiring to a large old house with half
an acre..........yeah.....dream on. In the past, I've grown carrots, Swede,
peas, runner beans, lettuce etc, but until recently, especially sweet
corn......great picked and straight on the BBQ Now, I only have pots
Something which bugs me, is the use of the Latin names for plants. I
realise that if you are really into gardening, these things are important,
but to the likes of me........an interested wannabe, they are meaningless.
It would be nice if folk could call plants by their 'common' name perhaps
with the Latin in brackets? What do you think? Thanks for a great friendly
group.
--
ßôyþëtë

Old 24-02-2007, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24 Feb, 21:55, "BoyPete" wrote:
[...]

Nobody will be annoyed at you for your question, I too am a total
amateur, I don't know one latin name from another. This is not an
expert gardener group, but there are lots of experts here who remain
solely for people like you and I to advise and help along, they will
never ridicule you and I am sure now that you have asked this
question, that they will also post the common names.

I'm glad you find the group friendly, on the whole, we really are,
there are just a couple of flies in the ointment which hopefully will
buzz off soon.

Kind regards

Judith at home

Old 24-02-2007, 10:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"BoyPete" wrote in message
[...]

If you have grown all those veg then you are already a proper gardener.
Any idiot can grow annuals and perennials but veg gardening requires much
more skill.
Forget the half acre, some of the best and most charming gardens are
contained in very small areas.
As for the names bit-they aren't really Latin or scientific and sometimes
not even botanical.
You can talk about Busy Lizzie if you want but I prefer the name Impatiens
because the former name means different things to different people,
particularly outside the UK.

Now go way and do your homework and report back on "Amorphophallus" :-)

Old 24-02-2007, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"BoyPete" wrote ...
[...]

Well there are two views about Latin names, yours is one and I realise it
can put a lot of people off, but the main advantage of them is everyone in
the world then knows exactly what plant you are talking about because the
Latin name is universal. For example, a Geranium sp, however if you talk in
common names and say Geranium we wouldn't know if you meant a true hardy
(mostly) Geranium or those tender Zonal Pelargonium often sold as Geraniums
and used for summer bedding. A similar situation pertains with Datura and
Brugmansia and it goes on.
Perhaps those of us with a bit of knowledge about Latin names should try to
use both.
I'll try and remember. Promise. :-)

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 24-02-2007, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24 Feb, 21:55, "BoyPete" wrote:

Something which bugs me, is the use of the Latin names for plants. I
realise that if you are really into gardening, these things are important,
but to the likes of me........an interested wannabe, they are meaningless.
It would be nice if folk could call plants by their 'common' name perhaps
with the Latin in brackets? What do you think? Thanks for a great friendly
group.

Sure. I've just realised I've given you latin name for two grasses -
out of 4 though in your last thread ;o)
Well, the thing is I sometimes don't know them by a common name. Or if
I do it's a French common name! It's a good idea though and with a
common name I find I retain the latin name better.

Old 24-02-2007, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , BoyPete
writes
[...]

The problem with common names is sometimes there are several different
vernacular names that apply to a single plant (I've recorded 13 applying
to Lagunaria patersonia), and sometimes one vernacular name applies to
several plants, and sometimes both at once. The situation with botanical
names is not perfect, but not as potentially confusing as with
vernacular names.

Many botanical names are used happily by people who don't necessarily
realise that they are using them - for example Geranium (cranesbill,
when not being used for Pelargonium), Aster (michaelmas daisies, etc,
but also used for several other genera such as Callistephus, Stokesia
and Tithonia), Hibiscus, Chrysanthemum (except that the botanists now
call the florists' chrysanthemums Dendranthema), Dahlia, Thuja,
Cotoneaster, Pyracantha (firethorn), Amelanchier (juneberry?),
Narcissus, Gladiolus (sword lily), Hosta (plantain lily), Agapanthus
(African lily), ...
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 24-02-2007, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
"BoyPete" wrote ...

snip

Well there are two views about Latin names, yours is one and I
realise it can put a lot of people off, but the main advantage of
them is everyone in the world then knows exactly what plant you are
talking about because the Latin name is universal. For example, a
Geranium sp, however if you talk in common names and say Geranium we
wouldn't know if you meant a true hardy (mostly) Geranium or those
tender Zonal Pelargonium often sold as Geraniums and used for summer
bedding. A similar situation pertains with Datura and Brugmansia and
it goes on. Perhaps those of us with a bit of knowledge about Latin names
should
try to use both.
I'll try and remember. Promise. :-)

Thanks Bob
--
ßôyþëtë

Old 24-02-2007, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"BoyPete" wrote in message

snip

If you have grown all those veg then you are already a proper
gardener. Any idiot can grow annuals and perennials but veg gardening
requires much more skill.
Forget the half acre, some of the best and most charming gardens are
contained in very small areas.
As for the names bit-they aren't really Latin or scientific and
sometimes not even botanical.
You can talk about Busy Lizzie if you want but I prefer the name
Impatiens because the former name means different things to different
people, particularly outside the UK.

Now go way and do your homework and report back on "Amorphophallus"
:-)

You mean Elephant Yam? AKA Amorphophallus paeoniifolius ? Of the Araceae
family I beleive. Not my sort of thing really
--
ßôyþëtë

Old 24-02-2007, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , "Rupert (W.Yorkshire)"
writes

"BoyPete" wrote in message
[...]

But Impatiens means many different things. There's the "New Guinea
Impatiens" grown as bedding plants, the Himalayan Balsam which is taken
over watercourses, Impatiens tinctoria which is grown as an ornamental
perennial, and more besides. In this case, either choice - Busy Lizzie
or Impations - depends on context for correct understanding.

Old 24-02-2007, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"BoyPete" wrote in message
Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"BoyPete" wrote in message

If you have grown all those veg then you are already a proper
gardener. Any idiot can grow annuals and perennials but veg gardening
requires much more skill.
Forget the half acre, some of the best and most charming gardens are
contained in very small areas.
As for the names bit-they aren't really Latin or scientific and
sometimes not even botanical.
You can talk about Busy Lizzie if you want but I prefer the name
Impatiens because the former name means different things to different
people, particularly outside the UK.

Now go way and do your homework and report back on "Amorphophallus"
:-)

You mean Elephant Yam? AKA Amorphophallus paeoniifolius ? Of the Araceae
family I beleive. Not my sort of thing really
--
ßôyþëtë

Excellent --Good lad. I quite agree not everyone would want an
Amorphophallus:-)
The Latin names often convey much more detail about a plant in a very
concise manner but as SRH has pointed out it is far from perfect.
I will try harder and give both names-promise.
Meanwhile this site is quite good.
http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/D_latin.html

Old 24-02-2007, 11:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"BoyPete" wrote ...
[...]

Are there latin names for such things as sprouts, peas, cabbage, carrots,
strawberries, runner beans and sweet corn?

But if there are please do not confuse me!

Alan

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 25-02-2007, 12:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Alan Holmes
writes

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"BoyPete" wrote ...
[...]

Yes.

But if there are please do not confuse me!

OK.

Alan

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 25-02-2007, 12:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/2/07 21:55, in article , "BoyPete"
wrote:

[...]

The problem is Common names common to where? In UK they change from county
to county or even parish to parish so it's not helpful.
If the Latin names are used, they're recognised all over the world. That's
why they're used - for plantspeople and gardeners, it's the universal
language. I think it might be helpful to you to look at the Latin names and
then check out the common names which will be entirely different in every
corner of the planet.
To take one wild plant alone, I've seen it named here as 'goose grass',
'sticky willie' and 'cleavers', depending on the region the poster comes
from. Latin names are unequivocal if you're talking to someone in
Berkshire or Bareclona.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 25-02-2007, 01:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
[...]

Now then Sacha, I don't live in Berkshire or Barcelona, so I use the
common name as I am ignorant.

Judith at home and still not at work