Old 01-03-2007, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Senetti

I'm probably way behind the times but has everyone seen this very colouful
plant? I think it came in last year and massed in pots they look stunning:
http://www.yoder.com/04041_SuntoryPericallis.pdf
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 01-03-2007, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 1 Mar, 17:10, Sacha wrote:
I'm probably way behind the times but has everyone seen this very colouful
plant? I think it came in last year and massed in pots they look stunning:http://www.yoder.com/04041_SuntoryPericallis.pdf
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devonhttp://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/
(remove weeds from address)

I saw these in a catalogue and assumed that they are a form of
Cineraria, and as such are very good plants for hot dry summers rather
than wet ones, so with the change in our weather they should be a good
item for pots and troughs.
David Hill

Old 01-03-2007, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 1 Mar, 17:10, Sacha wrote:
I'm probably way behind the times but has everyone seen this very
colouful
plant? I think it came in last year and massed in pots they look
stunning:http://www.yoder.com/04041_SuntoryPericallis.pdf
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devonhttp://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/
(remove weeds from address)

I saw these in a catalogue and assumed that they are a form of
Cineraria, and as such are very good plants for hot dry summers rather
than wet ones, so with the change in our weather they should be a good
item for pots and troughs.

David Hill

I nearly got these in a plastic hanging pot from a garden centre last summer
..They are a bright eye catcher.
Thanks Keith

Old 01-03-2007, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1/3/07 20:04, in article
, "Dave Hill"
wrote:

On 1 Mar, 17:10, Sacha wrote:
I'm probably way behind the times but has everyone seen this very colouful
plant? I think it came in last year and massed in pots they look
stunning:
http://www.yoder.com/04041_SuntoryPericallis.pdf
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devonhttp://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/
(remove weeds from address)

I saw these in a catalogue and assumed that they are a form of
Cineraria, and as such are very good plants for hot dry summers rather
than wet ones, so with the change in our weather they should be a good
item for pots and troughs.
David Hill

Yes, I think they're members of that family, David. The colours are so
vivid that they're quite astonishing.

Old 02-03-2007, 06:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Senetti is a range of Pericallis hybrids raised in Japan (can't
remember the name of the raisers) a few years ago. The florists'
'Cineraria' is a hybrid between Pericallis cruenta and P. lanata and
'Senetti' is a summer-flowering development along similar lines. Its
smaller leaves and prolonged flowering period make it ideal for summer
bedding in the UK provided you can keep the slugs off. I'm pretty
sure that you still have Pericallis lanata growing at the nursery and
it is almost certainly one of the parents.

P. lanata is a very attractive plant eventually becoming a sub-shrub,
carrying airy sprays of 2cm. diameter, purple-centred, white flowers
with reddish-purple tips to the petals. It has small greyish
'Cineraria' leaves that have a wooly white indumentum beneath and
seems to flower almost throughout the year. I bought one from Ray
about 8 or 9 years ago and it survived in the garden here for several
years. Personally, I prefer it because it has a delicate elegance
that has been lost in the Senetti range. That said, for summer
bedding purposes Senetti's vivid splashes of colour take some
beating.

Old 02-03-2007, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2/3/07 06:46, in article
, "Dave Poole"
wrote:

Senetti is a range of Pericallis hybrids raised in Japan (can't
remember the name of the raisers) a few years ago. The florists'
'Cineraria' is a hybrid between Pericallis cruenta and P. lanata and
'Senetti' is a summer-flowering development along similar lines. Its
smaller leaves and prolonged flowering period make it ideal for summer
bedding in the UK provided you can keep the slugs off. I'm pretty
sure that you still have Pericallis lanata growing at the nursery and
it is almost certainly one of the parents.

It sounds familiar and I'll have to see where it's migrated to. At this
time of year things get moved around a lot!

P. lanata is a very attractive plant eventually becoming a sub-shrub,
carrying airy sprays of 2cm. diameter, purple-centred, white flowers
with reddish-purple tips to the petals. It has small greyish
'Cineraria' leaves that have a wooly white indumentum beneath and
seems to flower almost throughout the year. I bought one from Ray
about 8 or 9 years ago and it survived in the garden here for several
years. Personally, I prefer it because it has a delicate elegance
that has been lost in the Senetti range. That said, for summer
bedding purposes Senetti's vivid splashes of colour take some
beating.

There's no doubt the Senetti range has been bred for wow factor and it has
it in spades. It's turning out to be a very popular plant. And we received
2 plants of Rosmarinus Sappho from Olivier Filippi today which he sent in
exchange for cuttings from the Salcombe one. He hasn't told us its growth
habit so I've emailed him for some info on that. It's one of his new ones,
so it's going to be interesting to see how that turns out.

senetti magenta rabc United Kingdom 2 15-05-2011 08:41 PM
Cinerarea 'Senetti' Hybrids John United Kingdom 2 27-04-2007 11:43 AM