Old 02-03-2007, 06:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Moles under my lawn

I have a large number of mole hills now and have failed to catch the mole
via traps. Is there an easier answer?
Blair

Old 02-03-2007, 06:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Blair" wrote in message ...
I have a large number of mole hills now and have failed to catch the mole
via traps. Is there an easier answer?
Blair

you could try windmills.............you know those small ones on metal rods,
sold at garden centres.

Moles stay clear of vibrations..............mind you its only good on
wind(y) days.

percy with the traps..............my FIL seems to have success......he lives
next a farm.

Old 02-03-2007, 07:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Blair writes
I have a large number of mole hills now and have failed to catch the mole
via traps. Is there an easier answer?

Many years ago someone suggested to me that we plant evening primrose to
deter moles. It worked for me. Perhaps this is an old wives' tale and
the moles would have gone anyway but it is worth a go.

--
June Hughes
Old 02-03-2007, 09:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Blair,
what has worked for me this year is pickled onions. Feel down in the middle
of each mole hill till you find the tunnel then roll a pickled onion down
it.

Moles hunt their prey in pitch darkness; scent is important to them. So
pickled onions in their burrows is probably quite a problem to them and they
will give up and go elsewhere. That maybe another part of your garden or
your neighbours.

Davy

Old 02-03-2007, 01:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Davy" wrote
Moles hunt their prey in pitch darkness; scent is important to them.
So pickled onions in their burrows is probably quite a problem to them
and they will give up and go elsewhere. That maybe another part of
your garden or your neighbours.

Camphor mothballs are sometimes recommended on the same principle, but
some moles will simply push them up and out, or just dig a detour.
There's no easy answer. We reluctantly use a trap when lawn or precious
plants are being undermined, but even when you catch the culprit(s),
sooner or later another mole will occupy the empty runs. It's an
on-going battle of wills!

--
Sue

Old 02-03-2007, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sue
writes

"Davy" wrote
Moles hunt their prey in pitch darkness; scent is important to them.
So pickled onions in their burrows is probably quite a problem to them
and they will give up and go elsewhere. That maybe another part of
your garden or your neighbours.

Camphor mothballs are sometimes recommended on the same principle, but
some moles will simply push them up and out, or just dig a detour.
There's no easy answer. We reluctantly use a trap when lawn or precious
plants are being undermined, but even when you catch the culprit(s),
sooner or later another mole will occupy the empty runs. It's an
on-going battle of wills!

Jane Ransom hated moles with a vengeance.
--
June Hughes
Old 02-03-2007, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"June Hughes" wrote in message

Jane Ransom hated moles with a vengeance.

Talking of Jane Ransom, has anyone heard anything from her?

Alan

--
June Hughes

Old 03-03-2007, 09:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Blair wrote:

I have a large number of mole hills now and have failed to catch the mole
via traps. Is there an easier answer?

There are plenty of mole myths but the conventional underground traps
are not easy to set correctly and give no feedback. I had no joy with
them either. But when I tried the simple above-ground plunger-type
traps (eg http://www.northerntooluk.com/produc...partno=168907E ) I
started finally to catch the varmits.

You don't have to do any digging and you can tell at a distant glance
if the trap has been sprung. If not, it takes only a couple of seconds
to move it to a different location. Highly recommended.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stan The Man" wrote in message
In article , Blair wrote:

I have a large number of mole hills now and have failed to catch the mole
via traps. Is there an easier answer?

There are plenty of mole myths but the conventional underground traps
are not easy to set correctly and give no feedback. I had no joy with
them either. But when I tried the simple above-ground plunger-type
traps (eg http://www.northerntooluk.com/produc...partno=168907E ) I
started finally to catch the varmits.

You don't have to do any digging and you can tell at a distant glance
if the trap has been sprung. If not, it takes only a couple of seconds
to move it to a different location. Highly recommended.

I am extremely grateful to you for your information on a different type of
trap. I will purchase right away
My lawn now is a complete mess!
Thanks
Blair

Old 04-03-2007, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Alan Holmes writes

"June Hughes" wrote in message

Jane Ransom hated moles with a vengeance.

Talking of Jane Ransom, has anyone heard anything from her?

Still alive and well, just busy!

--
Kay

Old 19-03-2007, 04:29 PM