Old 14-03-2007, 11:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default ? Chemical Control of Carrot Fly

wrote:

We have been unable to grow carrots on our heavy clay soil but this
year we have prepared a special bed and hopefully they will grow.

When we lived in the City, we had a problem with carrot fly, is there
a chemical product we can buy to control this or is there a proven
method that works without the use of chemicals?

The BBC garden page at:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basic...ompanionplanti
ng.shtml

recommends growing the carrots next to leeks - supposedly the scent of
the leeks confuses the carrot root fly and the carrots reciprocate for
onion fly and leek moth, although I confess I'd never heard of the
latter. I haven't tried this (yet) so I don't know if it works or not.

And there are carrot fly resistant varieties like Fly Away although the
seed tends to be more expensive. As a side effect though, whatever
they've bred for to repel the flies makes the carrots sweeter - we grew
a few some years back and they were lovely.

--
Carol
"Never trust a man wearing leather shorts and a plastic dressing gown"

Old 14-03-2007, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 14, 11:31 am, Martin wrote:
On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 11:10:37 +0000, (Carol Hague) wrote:
wrote:

We have been unable to grow carrots on our heavy clay soil but this
year we have prepared a special bed and hopefully they will grow.

When we lived in the City, we had a problem with carrot fly, is there
a chemical product we can buy to control this or is there a proven
method that works without the use of chemicals?

The BBC garden page at:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basic...ompanionplanti
ng.shtml

recommends growing the carrots next to leeks - supposedly the scent of
the leeks confuses the carrot root fly and the carrots reciprocate for
onion fly and leek moth, although I confess I'd never heard of the
latter. I haven't tried this (yet) so I don't know if it works or not.

.
RHS recommends using fleecehttp://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/months/august.asp
"Take care when thinning out any late-sown carrot seedlings to prevent the scent
released attracting carrot fly females. To protect them from carrot fly use
fleece or enviromesh coverings."

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0201/fleece.asp
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

Martin, thanks for this, the site is full of info. Where could I buy
this economically? I see Notcutts have it but it is fairly expensive!

I have been in the garden all day, I don't work on Wednesday's, and it
has been beautiful, I have sunburn on my arms. I took my geranium
cuttings and started all the fuscia off by watering and feeding them
ready for cuttings. I don't think I will bother with any heat now in
the greenhouse unless an overnight frost is forecast.

I also fed my rhodo beds, can I take cuttings now?

Judith

Old 14-03-2007, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 14, 5:26 pm, Martin wrote:
On 14 Mar 2007 09:59:48 -0700, "

wrote:

[...]

We get ours from a Dutch garden centre.

http://www.harrodhorticultural.com/H...lant%20Protect...

Charge about the same as the local suppliers.

It lasts several years.
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Martin, I have printed this out.

Judith

Old 14-03-2007, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 14, 5:51 pm, Martin wrote:
On 14 Mar 2007 10:47:56 -0700, "

wrote:
On Mar 14, 5:26 pm, Martin wrote:
On 14 Mar 2007 09:59:48 -0700, "

wrote:

[...]

I googled it was the first hit. You might find somewhere cheaper and nearer to
you
--

Martin

enviromesh
http://www.organiccatalog.com/catalo...p?cPath=61_180

Old 20-03-2007, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anne Jackson" wrote in message
The message from PB contains these words:

judith wrote:
We have been unable to grow carrots on our heavy clay soil but this
year we have prepared a special bed and hopefully they will grow.

When we lived in the City, we had a problem with carrot fly, is there
a chemical product we can buy to control this or is there a proven
method that works without the use of chemicals?

Judith

My neighbour gets a paintbrush and splashes (sprints?)* paraffin along
the rows when he thins them out. He is about 75 so it can't be deadly,
he's been doing it for years.

* What do you call it when you flick the bristles of a brush?

'Spritz'?

I thought that was some sort of soft drink!

Alan