Old 24-03-2007, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Magnolia 'Butterflies'

We have just planted this in our garden. It's quite lovely. It really is
yellow and is scented. I recommend it very highly.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 25-03-2007, 01:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes
We have just planted this in our garden. It's quite lovely. It really is
yellow and is scented. I recommend it very highly.

Did you read this by Mike Robinson on the RHS site Sacha?

"The photograph of 'Butterflies' in the 1991 Yearbook is mouth-watering,
and 'Butterflies' is still one of the top three most popular magnolias
in the USA. Here it has been disappointing. The flowers are small and,
though a good yellow, don't have the substance or poise of 'Elizabeth'
or M. denudata. The problem has been made worse because there appear to
be two clones in circulation in this country, one with smaller and more
strap like tepals - quite nice but nothing like the 1991 photograph.
This may be Magnolia 'Stellar Acclaim'. My unhelpful advice is not to
purchase 'Butterflies' without having seen it, and preferably the plant
you are getting, in flower, and you may then not buy it at all."

presumably you've seen it so it's okay
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 25-03-2007, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/3/07 13:06, in article , "Janet Tweedy"
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes
[...]

I hadn't read that but I've seen ours and it's in flower on our lawn right
now. It came from a well-established Dutch supplier, so I don't think it's
likely that there's anything 'wrong' with it. However, I'll go and take a
closer look at its 'bits'. ;-)

Old 25-03-2007, 05:08 PM
Registered User

Location: Scarborough UK

Hi. Can a complete newbie to this forum (and to magnolias) ask if you have any comments on m. denudata 'Yellow river'?

I know nothing about these gorgeous trees but bought one from a trusted supplier in Cornwall in January. I have planted it and it is now budding - but I don't know what to expect. I just wanted a yellow magnolia. Have I got the right one?

Gaura Whirling Butterflies Natty_Dread Gardening 3 26-04-2003 07:56 PM
Attracting Butterflies Luke Australia 10 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
White Butterflies Luke Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:33 AM
Caterpillars and Butterflies Jack United Kingdom 5 28-03-2003 08:44 PM
Attracting Butterflies Rita Bogna Australia 0 15-02-2003 06:13 AM