Old 07-04-2007, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cycads - recovering from hurricane damage

A hurricane a few months ago severely pelted my 4 Cycads with hail.
All the leaves now have at least 50% dead or missing bits (like an old
comb with 50% broken teeth). I don't know if I should just leave them
be, or cut most of the leaves off and maybe the plants will generate
new leaves faster?

Old 08-04-2007, 12:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
oups.com...
A hurricane a few months ago severely pelted my 4 Cycads with hail.
All the leaves now have at least 50% dead or missing bits (like an old
comb with 50% broken teeth). I don't know if I should just leave them
be, or cut most of the leaves off and maybe the plants will generate
new leaves faster?

50% leaf is better than no leaf as they are still helping the plant grow and
store food for the next flush of leaves. Assuming that you are growing this
plant in reasonably favourable conditions then its very forgiving regardless
of what you do-but be very patient.
Whereabouts was the hurricane?

Old 08-04-2007, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Rupert wrote:

50% leaf is better than no leaf as they are still helping the plant grow and
store food for the next flush of leaves. Assuming that you are growing this
plant in reasonably favourable conditions then its very forgiving regardless
of what you do-but be very patient.
Whereabouts was the hurricane?

The chances are that this wasn't in the UK since according to Michael
Fish, hurricanes never happen here Relatively few people grow
cycads out of doors here in any case, hence the resounding silence.
However Rupert, you are absolutely right about retaining as many
leaves as possible under the low-light, low temperature conditions
here. The same is true of all plants, especially those from warmer
climates - they need their leaves for as long as possible.

If as I suspect, this was posted from the US then things are somewhat
different. One of the world's experts in growing cycads is Tom Broome
of Cycad Jungle in Florida. His articles about feeding and
encouraging the fastest growth will probably be of more help since
they will enable the OP to get his plant back into prime condition as
quickly as possible. Tom's site is at:

http://cycadjungle.8m.com/

Due to significantly different conditions, the recommendations do not
work in plants grown outside in the UK, but can be quite effective
with glasshouse grown plants.

University of Utah scientists discovered a strange method of reproduction in primitive plants named cycads chatnoir Plant Science 0 07-10-2007 12:53 AM
PLASE HELP! - Royal Palms with Hurricane Damage [email protected] Gardening 3 12-11-2005 05:33 PM
Hurricane damage bk Orchids 4 12-11-2005 05:06 AM
Response to hurricane damage William Hill Orchids 0 26-10-2004 04:53 PM