Old 09-04-2007, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default New methods

I have struggled for two years now trying to kill ground elder/alder? much
spraying and pulling has had little effect, digging and hand weeding out the
roots hardly slowed the dam stuff down. Then last week I spotted that weed
cover black sheet stuff for sale in one of the cheap supermarkets so bought
a couple of rolls to try that out on two very badly infested beds. I have
today heavily composted the two beds, covered them in the black sheets, then
covered the sheets with soil. I have some fruit bushes in pots to plant
there soon, and will do so through holes cut in the sheeting. Lets see if
this will keep it at bay.

When will it rain? I noticed today that Growmore I sprinkled in places a
month age still laying on the surface, recently planted shrubs need regular
watering, soil I dug for the beds above from a ground elder/alder? free area
was bone dry, come to think of it, it did contain an uncommonly high number
of old bones as well.

Mike

Old 09-04-2007, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9/4/07 17:34, in article ,
"Muddymike" wrote:

I have struggled for two years now trying to kill ground elder/alder? much
spraying and pulling has had little effect, digging and hand weeding out the
roots hardly slowed the dam stuff down. Then last week I spotted that weed
cover black sheet stuff for sale in one of the cheap supermarkets so bought
a couple of rolls to try that out on two very badly infested beds. I have
today heavily composted the two beds, covered them in the black sheets, then
covered the sheets with soil. I have some fruit bushes in pots to plant
there soon, and will do so through holes cut in the sheeting. Lets see if
this will keep it at bay.

I think they did this at Tintinhull or somewhere like that, Mike. AFAIR, it
worked but took a wile. Don't think they did the fruit bush thing, though.
;-)

When will it rain? I noticed today that Growmore I sprinkled in places a
month age still laying on the surface, recently planted shrubs need regular
watering, soil I dug for the beds above from a ground elder/alder? free area
was bone dry, come to think of it, it did contain an uncommonly high number
of old bones as well.

We're watering parts of the garden here, as well as the nursery.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk