Old 15-04-2007, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lawn question...

My lawn is about 3m x 3m and seems to die every year. Every year I re-turf
it but it doesn't survive the winter. Part of the problem could be an
incontinent labrador, but surely there must be a way to get a small patch of
grass to survive more than 12 months? Can anyone recommend a really tough
type of turf that has properties of being immortal?

--
Rich

http://www.badangling.com -= Sea fishing badly explained =-

Old 15-04-2007, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I haven't tried this as have a large garden and my Border Collie kills small
but fav patches. However, my sister-in-law adds just a teaspoon of tomato
juice (Tesco cheapest) to their dogs' feed and they have no problem.

I accept that they have a huge garden but IMHO dogs return to their fav
spots, so they should have some burnt areas.

I must try this myself.

--

Baal

I smile and go off waving
(Amiably) - for that's my way

Old 16-04-2007, 08:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Your soil may be infested with cockchafer larvae. Dig up a patch and see if
you have large white grubs (about 40-45 mm when fully grown). They may stay
in the soil for upto 4 years feeding on grass (and cereal) roots until they
mature into adult beetles (May bugs).

http://www.kendall-bioresearch.co.uk/chafer.htm

Do a google search for more info.

Old 16-04-2007, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15 Apr, 20:52, "Rich" wrote:
My lawn is about 3m x 3m and seems to die every year. Every year I re-turf
it but it doesn't survive the winter. Part of the problem could be an
incontinent labrador, but surely there must be a way to get a small patch of
grass to survive more than 12 months? Can anyone recommend a really tough
type of turf that has properties of being immortal?

--
Rich

http://www.badangling.com -= Sea fishing badly explained =-

I had the same problem with my dog, and a similar size lawn. In the
end I retrained the dog to go on gravel. It took a while but now she
ignores the lawn completely. I re-seeded the dead patches a month or
so ago and it's slowly improving. If you have some spare time and
patience then repairing a lawn isn't all that hard to do. Found plenty
of tips on how to improve the soil condition of the lawn too, which
helped.

Steve