Old 25-04-2007, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Name my shrubs, I may be asking too much

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 20 Apr, 14:17, "Muddymike" wrote:
The plan is to demolish the hut, build 3 new timber walls,
using one side of the garage as the fourth wall. Fabricate a new roof
over
the whole lot, finally clad the exterior of both new hut and visible
walls
of the garage with vertical tongue and groove cladding. This will double
the
size of the hut and improve the appearance of the whole thing. I have
settled onhttp://www.steadmans.co.uk/products/as2000.htmfor the roof. Not
cheap, but lightweight, and looks good. I went to see a filling station
that
had had a new canopy built using it and until I got up close and studied
it
I thought I was looking at the wrong roof it looks so much like slate.

Haven't you explored different materials, like more natural ones? It's
only a suggestion - I'm a bit of a pain when it comes to using UPVced/
plastic stuff. I think we've got so much more choice these days. And
with such a beautiful garden as yours, it could really make a
difference if not a little statement.

Late reply, just spent 3 days on business in Scotland.

I explored a lot of materials, including natural ones. The problem with them
is the weight. This sheeting is pressed steel and as light as industrial
sheeting but looks like slate, so will compliment my home. To have used the
same stone as on the roof of the house would have required re-building the
whole thing at an expense we cannot justify at present. Ideally we would
like to re-build it with walls of the same stone as the house as well. The
current design allows for this in the future in the same way the modern
houses are built with a timber frame supporting the roof then outer walls
built with whatever material is common locally brick/stone/render etc.

Mike