Old 18-04-2007, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Name my shrubs, I may be asking too much

I have a lot of shrubs in the garden that I don't know the names of or, more
importantly when to prune them. Some are getting a little too big and will
need pruning this year but I don't want to ruin them by pruning at the wrong
time. Perhaps some of you would have the time to take a look at the pictures
I have taken this morning (sorry there are 38 of them) and posted to
http://www.twango.com/channel/Muddymike.public Just click on any one to see
a bigger picture.
This site has provision for you to add comments, but sadly only if you take
time to register. It would be great if someone with the time and knowledge
could add the names and pruning time, if not then please reply with the
information on any you know along with the picture number and I shall add it
to the site as
a permanent record. It would also be good to know if, and when I can take
cuttings from them as I have a lot more space to fill in the garden.

Also what is this
http://www.twango.com/media/Muddymik...e.10071?sort=4 several
have come up since I cleared the Ivy.

Mike

Old 18-04-2007, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Muddymike
writes
[...]

1. Not sure, but I think that it's Ceanothus (Californian Lilac)
2. Pass.
3. Ribes uva-crispa (Gooseberry)
4. Kerria japonica 'Flore Pleno'
5. Clematis
6. Pass. It looks a bit like a Forsythia, but I'd assume that you would
have the flowers on that.
7. Holly cultivar
8. Pyracantha (Firethorn)
9. Something rosaceous, perhaps one of the non-native Crataegi.
10. Mahonia; I'm not completely sure whether it's Oregon Grape (Mahonia
aquifolium).
11. Forsythia.
12. Potentilla; a lot of the shrubby Potentillas are cultivars of P.
frutescens, but I can't say whether this one is.
13. Hebe
14. Berberis thunbergii
15. Another Hebe
16. Not sure; perhaps a Berberis, but the flowers look rather solitary.
17. Pass. (Given all the Hebes, this might be yet another one.)
18. Pass.
18. Buddleia
20. Possibly another Ceanothus.
21. Isn't that the same as 2?
22. Pass.
23. Buddleia, and probably Buddleia davidii.
24. Possibly Euonymus, of the E. fortunei, etc. persuasion.
25. Ceanothus.
26. Pass.
27. Sympharicarpos (Snowberry or Coralberry)
28. Berberis, probably Berberis darwinii
29. Rosa
30. Hebe again.
31. and again.
32. Pass.
33. Euonymus, again. Might be 'Emeerald 'n' Gold'.
34. Pieris.
35. Photinia 'Red Robin'
36. Pass.
37. Cytisus. As it's in flower then it might be one of the forms of
Cytisus x praecox, such as 'Allgold'. (Cytisus x praecox is strongly
scented.)
38. Yet another Hebe.

Also what is this
http://www.twango.com/media/Muddymik...e.10071?sort=4 several
have come up since I cleared the Ivy.

39. From the location I'd infer that it's Ivy Broomrape, Orobanche
hederae.

Mike

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 18-04-2007, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/4/07 12:52, in article
, "Muddymike"
wrote:

[...]

Hello, Mike. I'm not prepared to sign up I'm afraid but I'll try to ID
those I can:
1. Probably Ceanothus
2. Weigela
3. Ribes
4. Kerria japonica (prob. pleniflora)
5. Clematis montana rubra
6. possibly Deutzia gracilis
7. holly of some kind
8. Pyracantha?
9. Chaenomeles
10. Mahonia
11. Forsythia
12. don't know
13. Hebe
14. Berberis
15. another Hebe
16. don't know but it's ringing bells!;
17. possibly Hebe
18.Teucrium, maybe?
19. Buddleia
20. don't know;
21. another Weigela, I think
22. don't know but poss. Photinia looking sick?
23. Buddleia
24. Euonymus
25. Azara maybe; not sure;
26. Again Wigela, Deutzia, something of that sort
27. Symphorocarpos
28. Berberis
29. Rosa rugosa
30. Hebe
31. Hebe
32. Don't know.
33. Euonymus (guessing Emerald 'n Gold
34. Pieris
35. Photinia 'Red Robin'
36. Maybe Philadelphus
37. Cytisus (broom)
38. Hebe

Last one, no idea.

Once everyone has had a go, corrected each other and filled in the gaps,
you'll be able to find pruning regimes in your books or on the net, as well
as on here.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 18-04-2007, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18 Apr, 13:47, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:

[...]

Cherry Laurel Prunus laurocerasus

18. Pass.

Hebe or a lonicera ...

18. Buddleia
20. Possibly another Ceanothus.
21. Isn't that the same as 2?
22. Pass.

Red Robin Photinia x fraseri

23. Buddleia, and probably Buddleia davidii.
24. Possibly Euonymus, of the E. fortunei, etc. persuasion.
25. Ceanothus.
26. Pass.

Tip of my tongue ... later ....

27. Sympharicarpos (Snowberry or Coralberry)
28. Berberis, probably Berberis darwinii
29. Rosa
30. Hebe again.
31. and again.
32. Pass.

Iex opaca

33. Euonymus, again. Might be 'Emeerald 'n' Gold'.
34. Pieris.
35. Photinia 'Red Robin'
36. Pass.

Does little white flowers ... will come to me

http://www.twango.com/media/Muddymik...?sort=4several
have come up since I cleared the Ivy.

39. From the location I'd infer that it's Ivy Broomrape, Orobanche
hederae.

I'd say it's the Orobanche crenata, not hederae whose flowers are much
smaller and thiner. As for pruning ... MuddyMike don't be lasy and
look for it yourself! I'm kidding. If you cannot find the info, try
getting a great pruning book by Dr D.G. Hessayon. He's brilliant and
tell it simply and clearly.

Old 18-04-2007, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thank you to those that have risen to the challenge already, when the
replies stop coming I shall compare lists and compile them onto the comments
section of the website, perhaps others may find the information useful. I
have found that the garden books I have tried looking them up in are of
little help as it is so difficult to identify exactly which mine are.
However once I have names I am sure I can look up the pruning rules with
ease.

Thanks for the Dr D.G. Hessayon pruning book tip La Puce (is that your real
name or a screen name like my Muddymike?) I shall look for it in the
library.

Mike

Old 18-04-2007, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

La Puce writes
wrote:

17. Pass. (Given all the Hebes, this might be yet another one.)

Cherry Laurel Prunus laurocerasus

Prunus laurocerasus has alternative leaves set almost in the same plane
as each other so that the branch with its leaves is more or less flat.
This plant has leaves which appear to be opposite and are perpendicular
to each other. Stewart's suggestion of Hebe is much more likely.

--
Kay
Old 18-04-2007, 09:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Stewart Robert Hinsley writes
In message , Muddymike
writes
I have a lot of shrubs in the garden that I don't know the names of or, more
importantly when to prune them. Some are getting a little too big and will
need pruning this year but I don't want to ruin them by pruning at the wrong
time.

As a general rule, in the absence of any better information, prune after
flowering. If it flowers in autumn, then leave the pruning to early
spring.

3. Ribes uva-crispa (Gooseberry)

.... Unless the yellow bits in the picture are flowers, in which case
it's Ribes odorata. Has a tendency for a few branches to die back in the
summer, so don't prune too enthusiastically.

5. Clematis

If it's in flower a the moment, then it's an early flowering one, and
you don't have to prune it unless you want to keep it in check.

9. Something rosaceous, perhaps one of the non-native Crataegi.

With flower buds like that, it looks like Chaenomeles (Japanese quince)

17. Pass. (Given all the Hebes, this might be yet another one.)

Pretty sure it is - does it have lavender flower spikes for a long
period in the second half of the year?

35. Photinia 'Red Robin'

It looks too straggly and not red enough.

39. From the location I'd infer that it's Ivy Broomrape, Orobanche
hederae.

You lucky thing! I've never even seen a broom rape. It's parasitic on
the roots of its host plant.
--
Kay
Old 18-04-2007, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes
In message , Muddymike
writes

39. From the location I'd infer that it's Ivy Broomrape, Orobanche
hederae.

You lucky thing! I've never even seen a broom rape. It's parasitic on the
roots of its host plant.
--

I discovered another large patch of this, this evening. I find it strangely
attractive.

Mike

Old 18-04-2007, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , K
writes
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes
In message ,
Muddymike writes
I have a lot of shrubs in the garden that I don't know the names of or, more
importantly when to prune them. Some are getting a little too big and will
need pruning this year but I don't want to ruin them by pruning at the wrong
time.

As a general rule, in the absence of any better information, prune
after flowering. If it flowers in autumn, then leave the pruning to
early spring.

3. Ribes uva-crispa (Gooseberry)

... Unless the yellow bits in the picture are flowers, in which case
it's Ribes odorata. Has a tendency for a few branches to die back in
the summer, so don't prune too enthusiastically.

It looks like the unshowy flowers that you get with Ribes uva-crispa or
Ribes nigrum. Ribes odoratum (and Ribes aureum), apart from having showy
yellow flowers, are thornless, and there seem to the thorns/spines
visible in the photograph.

Old 19-04-2007, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

[...]

And having looked at mine, the leaves are shiny and more deeply lobed
than gooseberry, so you're probably right.

--
Kay
Old 20-04-2007, 12:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes

2. Weigela

2. Weigela florida variegata

http://www.paghat.com/weigelavariegata.html
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 20-04-2007, 11:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18 Apr, 17:00, "Muddymike" wrote:
Thanks for the Dr D.G. Hessayon pruning book tip La Puce (is that your real
name or a screen name like my Muddymike?) I shall look for it in the
library.

My post got lost ... how strange. Will start again. You're welcome
Mike and Hessayon's book can be found amongst the 'expert series'
books. La Puce is my childhood nickname, meaning flea, because I'm
little and can be itchy. Although I used to be called 'piquette' at
the age of 3 because I liked champagne ... I'm glad this name didn't
stick.

Wonderful garden you have there. Thank you to let us walk through it
with you.

Old 20-04-2007, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Wonderful garden you have there. Thank you to let us walk through it
with you.

The garden is a major reason we bought the house, we made an offer, and it
was accepted, long before we even set foot inside the house. Having sorted
the inside of the house over the last two years, the garden is taking a lot
of my spare time at the moment to get it manageable. I have cleared and
turfed a large overgrown area (hiring a mini digger made this easy and fun)
overlooked by contract gardeners for the last ten years. Cut down as many
trees as I am allowed to, we are in a conservation area and the rules on
tree cutting is strict. Removed countless piles of ivy. Created kerbs
between lawns and beds to make mowing simpler. Planted 100s of daffodils
along with 30 or more roses. With around an acre to care for, and only the
bit immediately around the house being maintained for many years, around a
third of it is being ignored at present, but I have big plans for that bit
once the rest is under control. Watch this space.

I have the day off work today and am busy laying concrete foundations for a
replacement hut. The existing one is old, tatty and rotting. It stands about
3 feet away from an equally unsightly concrete sectional garage with a
leaking roof. The plan is to demolish the hut, build 3 new timber walls,
using one side of the garage as the fourth wall. Fabricate a new roof over
the whole lot, finally clad the exterior of both new hut and visible walls
of the garage with vertical tongue and groove cladding. This will double the
size of the hut and improve the appearance of the whole thing. I have
settled on http://www.steadmans.co.uk/products/as2000.htm for the roof. Not
cheap, but lightweight, and looks good. I went to see a filling station that
had had a new canopy built using it and until I got up close and studied it
I thought I was looking at the wrong roof it looks so much like slate.

Mike

Old 23-04-2007, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20 Apr, 14:17, "Muddymike" wrote:
The plan is to demolish the hut, build 3 new timber walls,
using one side of the garage as the fourth wall. Fabricate a new roof over
the whole lot, finally clad the exterior of both new hut and visible walls
of the garage with vertical tongue and groove cladding. This will double the
size of the hut and improve the appearance of the whole thing. I have
settled onhttp://www.steadmans.co.uk/products/as2000.htmfor the roof. Not
cheap, but lightweight, and looks good. I went to see a filling station that
had had a new canopy built using it and until I got up close and studied it
I thought I was looking at the wrong roof it looks so much like slate.

Haven't you explored different materials, like more natural ones? It's
only a suggestion - I'm a bit of a pain when it comes to using UPVced/
plastic stuff. I think we've got so much more choice these days. And
with such a beautiful garden as yours, it could really make a
difference if not a little statement.