Old 21-04-2007, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default drought?

up here in sunny St Helens (Lancs), we haven't had any rain for months - in
fact, I can't remember last time it rained, at least not enough to actually
wet anything.
The result being that the new spring growth seems to be suffering - even the
grass on my lawn is burnt away and yellow, while the soil below is hard and
cracked and I'd lost two shrubs before I realised, one isn't so important
because I've got other specimens of this, but I don't know what it's called,
and the other I'd rather have kept - it's got slender green leaves and puts
on a show about this time of year with firy red growing tips, it also has
bunches of whitish seeds hanging down - whatever it's called, it appears to
have given up the ghost.

While me cakehole's open, what's thos blue small flowers called? - someone
mentioned them as an alternative to lobelia for borders/baskets etc?

TIA

Old 21-04-2007, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Phil L" wrote in message
k...
[...]

up here in North Liverpool it looks like rain is soon. According to the
weather forecast there is an 80% of rain tomorrow.

The plant with the red tips - is it a pieris?

Has St Helens moved? When I was based on Ruskin Drive recently St Helens
was in Merseyside.

Old 21-04-2007, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/4/07 15:53, in article ,
"Phil L" wrote:

up here in sunny St Helens (Lancs), we haven't had any rain for months - in
fact, I can't remember last time it rained, at least not enough to actually
wet anything.
The result being that the new spring growth seems to be suffering - even the
grass on my lawn is burnt away and yellow, while the soil below is hard and
cracked and I'd lost two shrubs before I realised, one isn't so important
because I've got other specimens of this, but I don't know what it's called,
and the other I'd rather have kept - it's got slender green leaves and puts
on a show about this time of year with firy red growing tips, it also has
bunches of whitish seeds hanging down - whatever it's called, it appears to
have given up the ghost.

Pieris japonica? It's now been 33 days since there was any significant
rainfall.

While me cakehole's open, what's thos blue small flowers called? - someone
mentioned them as an alternative to lobelia for borders/baskets etc?

Possibly blue Bacopa? Then there's Brachycombe,
Anagallis and Verbena.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 21-04-2007, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Phil L writes
[...]

Anagallis?
Highly recommended even if it wasn't what you were thinking of.

--
Kay
Old 21-04-2007, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Phil L
writes
up here in sunny St Helens (Lancs), we haven't had any rain for months - in
fact, I can't remember last time it rained, at least not enough to actually
wet anything.
The result being that the new spring growth seems to be suffering - even the
grass on my lawn is burnt away and yellow, while the soil below is hard and
cracked and I'd lost two shrubs before I realised, one isn't so important
because I've got other specimens of this, but I don't know what it's called,
and the other I'd rather have kept - it's got slender green leaves and puts
on a show about this time of year with firy red growing tips, it also has
bunches of whitish seeds hanging down - whatever it's called, it appears to
have given up the ghost.

The one you've lost might be a Pieris. In March and April this has
sprays of white (or in some cultivars pink) tubular flowers, which might
be mistaken for seeds if you're used to thinking of flowers as being
like those of roses, poppies or mallows. In some cultivars the spring
flush of foliage is a bright red, resulting in cultivar names like
'Mountain Fire', 'Flame of the Forest' and 'Flaming Silver'
(variegated).

While me cakehole's open, what's thos blue small flowers called? - someone
mentioned them as an alternative to lobelia for borders/baskets etc?

A biennial with small blue flowers flowering at this time of year is
Myosotis (Forget-Me-Not). I wouldn't have thought that this was suitable
for a basket - it's shallow rooted, and might be expected to be
vulnerable to underwatering - but perhaps my expectations are in error.

TIA

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 22-04-2007, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Space" wrote in message

"Phil L" wrote in message
k...
[...]

Of course it's moved. So has Manchester. When I were a lad growing up there,
it too was in Lancashire.

Steve

dog-gone another drought, only this is a Spring time drought [email protected] Plant Science 5 06-06-2006 06:27 PM
(LONG) Drought likely for 3rd year in Klamath Basin Daniel B. Wheeler alt.forestry 0 23-02-2003 12:54 AM
Drought and Roses B. Midler Roses 11 15-02-2003 08:15 AM
Drought & more len brauer Permaculture 7 28-01-2003 04:26 PM
Drought Fran Higham Permaculture 2 16-01-2003 11:20 PM