Old 24-04-2007, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Growing Peppers

Hi All

I am going to try and grow some peppers this year and noticed that a few
websites say to feed the plant every week or so. Has anyone got any
experience of growing peppers and did they feed them, and if so what did
they find was the best feed.

Any feedback would be appreciated

Donna

Old 24-04-2007, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Fertilizing. Peppers in pots generally need a little more feeding than those
outdoors growing in aged manure. About once a week early in the growing
season, use a balanced liquid fertilizer, such as 10-10-10, diluted even
more than the instructions suggest. Fish emulsion seems to work well for
organic gardeners. A good slow-release fertilizer is Osmocote, which does
not burn the plants and provides a steady supply of nutrients. If the growth
of the potted pepper seems more vigorous than that of the same variety in
the garden, or if blossoms are dropping, stop using the fertilizer. If
blossom drop continues, too much nitrogen has been applied, and the pot
should be flushed by running a lot of water through it.

Nice site he

http://www.fiery-foods.com/dave/containers.asp

--

Baal

I smile and go off waving
(Amiably) - for that's my way
. uk...

Old 24-04-2007, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Donna (UK)" wrote
I am going to try and grow some peppers this year and noticed that a few
websites say to feed the plant every week or so. Has anyone got any
experience of growing peppers and did they feed them, and if so what did
they find was the best feed.

Any feedback would be appreciated

We have been growing Thai Dragon chillies (hot) outside on the allotment for
years and have found that Seaweed Extract is excellent to get them growing
strong and fast and with nice dark green leaves. Once in flower a Tomato
feed every couple of weeks works well.
Ours were planted a couple of weeks ago or more as they do need a long
growing season.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 25-04-2007, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
dr dr is offline

Donna (UK) wrote:

Hi All

I am going to try and grow some peppers this year and noticed that a few
websites say to feed the plant every week or so. Has anyone got any
experience of growing peppers and did they feed them, and if so what did
they find was the best feed.

Any feedback would be appreciated

Donna

Usually grow several varieties of pepper, chillies and sweet, and treat them
more or less like tomatoes re. feeding and watering, though I actually use
a mixture of comfrey leaves in liquid, and compost in bags in a waterbutt
to feed.

One odd thing is that sparse watering seems to make for hotter chillies, I
wonder if anyone else has noticed anything like that ???

Duncan
Old 25-04-2007, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

dr writes
Donna (UK) wrote:

Hi All

I am going to try and grow some peppers this year and noticed that a few
websites say to feed the plant every week or so. Has anyone got any
experience of growing peppers and did they feed them, and if so what did
they find was the best feed.

Any feedback would be appreciated

Donna

Usually grow several varieties of pepper, chillies and sweet, and treat them
more or less like tomatoes re. feeding and watering, though I actually use
a mixture of comfrey leaves in liquid, and compost in bags in a waterbutt
to feed.

One odd thing is that sparse watering seems to make for hotter chillies, I
wonder if anyone else has noticed anything like that ???

Copious water often has the effect of diluting taste - eg supermarket
carrots.
--
Kay