Old 27-04-2007, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default ID of shrub, please

We're trying to ID a shrub we saw in a garden down here yesterday. It's
small tree height and has several 'trunks' with a roughish grey bark. The
leaves are mid-green, oval and not at all leathery or tough looking. The
flowers are like one half of a long brush, white, bell shaped (as far as I
could see) and are carried upright on the stems, not hanging down as one
might expect. Anyone know what this might be?
This post is for uk.rec.gardening, not Garden Banter.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 27-04-2007, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
We're trying to ID a shrub we saw in a garden down here yesterday. It's
small tree height and has several 'trunks' with a roughish grey bark. The
leaves are mid-green, oval and not at all leathery or tough looking. The
flowers are like one half of a long brush, white, bell shaped (as far as I
could see) and are carried upright on the stems, not hanging down as one
might expect. Anyone know what this might be?
--

Sacha

Photo?

Mike

--
.................................................. ..............
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 27-04-2007, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
We're trying to ID a shrub we saw in a garden down here yesterday. It's
small tree height and has several 'trunks' with a roughish grey bark.
The
leaves are mid-green, oval and not at all leathery or tough looking. The
flowers are like one half of a long brush, white, bell shaped (as far as
could see) and are carried upright on the stems, not hanging down as one
might expect. Anyone know what this might be?
--

Sacha

Photo?

Mike

Correction as this is not a Binary newsgroup.

Reference to a photo?

--
.................................................. .............
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 27-04-2007, 11:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote
We're trying to ID a shrub we saw in a garden down here yesterday. It's
small tree height and has several 'trunks' with a roughish grey bark. The
leaves are mid-green, oval and not at all leathery or tough looking. The
flowers are like one half of a long brush, white, bell shaped (as far as I
could see) and are carried upright on the stems, not hanging down as one
might expect. Anyone know what this might be?
This post is for uk.rec.gardening, not Garden Banter.

I doubt it's correct so try Osmanthus x burkwoodii or is a White form of the
Beauty Bush more like it? :-)

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 28-04-2007, 12:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/4/07 23:55, in article , "Bob
Hobden" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote
We're trying to ID a shrub we saw in a garden down here yesterday. It's
small tree height and has several 'trunks' with a roughish grey bark. The
leaves are mid-green, oval and not at all leathery or tough looking. The
flowers are like one half of a long brush, white, bell shaped (as far as I
could see) and are carried upright on the stems, not hanging down as one
might expect. Anyone know what this might be?
This post is for uk.rec.gardening, not Garden Banter.

I doubt it's correct so try Osmanthus x burkwoodii or is a White form of the
Beauty Bush more like it? :-)

Neither of those, I'm afraid, Bob. I'll try to do some more hunting through
the books tomorrow. The leaves are too 'fine' for an Osmanthus, or at
least, any that I know. They're roughly - roughly - the consistency of a
young beech leaf in terms of thickness and colour etc.
I have a terrible feeling that when I do find it everyone is going to groan
and say "well for heaven's sake, of *course*......" ;-)

Garden Banter does not have permission to use my posts.
Join uk.rec.gardening instead.