Old 27-04-2007, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bri Bri is offline

Default aphid controls on edible crops

Hi Folks,

I have curly leaf on my plum tree and understand that it is almost always it
is a sign of aphid attack. Apparently, the plum and apple aphid cause the
foliage to curl around the insect to protect them from predators. The
suggested solution is to control the aphid. Because it is not possible to
use systemic aphid controls on edible crops I will, I am tolled, have to
protect the new growth.

What could I use and how would I do this?

Your advice would be most helpfull

Kind regards

Bri

Old 27-04-2007, 08:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bri" wrote in message
Hi Folks,

I have curly leaf on my plum tree and understand that it is almost always
it is a sign of aphid attack. Apparently, the plum and apple aphid cause
the foliage to curl around the insect to protect them from predators. The
suggested solution is to control the aphid. Because it is not possible to
use systemic aphid controls on edible crops I will, I am tolled, have to
protect the new growth.

What could I use and how would I do this?

I've used washing up liquid in a spray.

Alan

Old 27-04-2007, 11:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

You could (for next year) try buying some ladybeetles and lacewing larvae.
They feed on the aphids. This should do the trick.
Old 28-04-2007, 07:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I've used washing up liquid in a spray.

Soft soap (made using caustic potash instead of caustic soda) is much
better. I think Chempak is the name of it's manufacturer's. Restrict the
spray to the massed aphids for it will not protect. It will also help to
kill of the ants with something like Nippon for they protect aphids from
ladybirds' attacks.

Geoff

Old 29-04-2007, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bri Bri is offline

Hi respondees,

Thanks for the advice I will give it a try

Ta

Bri