Old 05-05-2007, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Garden shed distance from house wall

Hi

We are looking at putting a garden shed in a gap between our outside wall
and a boundary fence. Now we don't have much available space, 5ft wide, so
would like to make best use of what we've got but how much clearance do we
need to leave between the shed side and the house wall to avoid problems of
damp?

Obviously we'll make sure that it's a pent roof falling away from the
house, and with guttering to protect the fence, but don't want to cause
ourselves problems either in the house or shed.

Also would having a metal shed rather than wooden make any difference to
the space we leave?

Thanks for any comments and input.

Cheers

Jay
Old 05-05-2007, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jay Hendry" wrote in message
. 143.53...
Hi

We are looking at putting a garden shed in a gap between our outside wall
and a boundary fence. Now we don't have much available space, 5ft wide, so
would like to make best use of what we've got but how much clearance do we
need to leave between the shed side and the house wall to avoid problems
of
damp?

Obviously we'll make sure that it's a pent roof falling away from the
house, and with guttering to protect the fence, but don't want to cause
ourselves problems either in the house or shed.

Also would having a metal shed rather than wooden make any difference to
the space we leave?

Thanks for any comments and input.

Cheers

Jay

If it is your fence, why not build a lean to on the house and onto the
fence? I did this at one house :-))

Slope the roof either to the front or the back and put a water butt there
:-))

Mike

--
.................................................. ..............
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 06-05-2007, 12:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jay Hendry" wrote in message
[...]

The main consideration in my opinion is to have access to all parts of
the shed for maintenance purposes.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emrys Davies" wrote in message
"Jay Hendry" wrote in message
[...]

That is why a lean to on the house and use of the fence on the other side is
the ideal answer. The fence can be 'lined' with something. Only have a
front, back and top to provide and maintain.

Mike

--
.................................................. ..............
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 06-05-2007, 09:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Emrys Davies
writes
"Jay Hendry" wrote in message
[...]

Indeed, - which is probably a very minimum of 18 inches? Re the Op's
damp concerns, 6 inches should be enough for ventilation. No metal/wood
wouldn't make a difference.

Personally , in a small space like that I would build the shed against
the house wall, with the house wall forming one side of the shed.

--
Chris French

Old 06-05-2007, 09:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jay Hendry" wrote in message
[...]

The downside is that the guttering would then be hanging over the fence on
next doors side. Hang on though, why pitch the roof that way. Pitch it from
front to back, might make one end a trifle low though.

Mike. (the muddy one)

Old 06-05-2007, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Muddymike
writes

"Jay Hendry" wrote in message
. 143.53...
Hi

We are looking at putting a garden shed in a gap between our outside
wall
and a boundary fence.

snip

The main consideration in my opinion is to have access to all parts of
the shed for maintenance purposes.

That is why a lean to on the house and use of the fence on the other side
is the ideal answer. The fence can be 'lined' with something. Only have a
front, back and top to provide and maintain.

The downside is that the guttering would then be hanging over the fence on
next doors side. Hang on though, why pitch the roof that way. Pitch it from
front to back, might make one end a trifle low though.

Yeah, it might work, depending on the situation. But would need to be
your fence though (or have permission if the neighbours)
--
Chris French