Old 06-05-2007, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Dumb Feeding Query?

Hi

This may be a dumb question but i've just, for the first time in my life
planted some vegetables in my garden. I raked in some multi-purpose plant
food before planting the seeds but am wondering what I should use, other
than water as an ongoing food during the next few months?

Cheers

xiv

Old 06-05-2007, 09:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"louisxiv" wrote in message
Hi

This may be a dumb question but i've just, for the first time in my

life
planted some vegetables in my garden. I raked in some multi-purpose

plant
food before planting the seeds but am wondering what I should use,

other
than water as an ongoing food during the next few months?

Cheers

xiv

Many congratulations on your first steps in gardening.

Yours is a very generalistic question and is difficult to answer unless
you say what you planted and how. For instance, have you followed
traditional methods of digging over the soil, breaking it into a fine
tilth and then planting in drills in rows with space in between
according the type of vegetable involved.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 06-05-2007, 09:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

louisxiv wrote:

This may be a dumb question

As long as you feel it may be dumb there's a very high probability it
isn't.
On frj (ukr's French cousin) we've created a tag you put in the title
which, loosely translated, means 'this week's pretty stupid question'.
It's a way of saying you know it must be obvious to some but it isn't to
you, so please don't shoot the ambulance because I'm in it.

but i've just, for the first time in my life
planted some vegetables in my garden.

Woohoo!
What sort of vegetables? And did you use seeds or small plants?

I raked in some multi-purpose plant
food before planting the seeds but am wondering what I should use, other
than water as an ongoing food during the next few months?

Purists will tell you only water, since you've already done something
(radicals would even say you didn't need to put anything in the first
place but it's another debate).

For the moment maybe only water, you don't want to go over the top. In
time, maybe something more but it shouldn't be necessary. What does the
label on your food say? Any mention of how long it takes to dissolve
completely?

Greg

--

You may ask yourself, how do I work this?

No ficus = no spam
Old 06-05-2007, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emrys Davies" wrote in message
"louisxiv" wrote in message
[...]

Yes I have done it that way. I've planted broad beans, runner beans, peas,
beetroot, carrots, cabbage and spring onions.

Old 07-05-2007, 12:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"louisxiv" wrote in message
Hi

This may be a dumb question but i've just, for the first time in my life
planted some vegetables in my garden. I raked in some multi-purpose plant
food before planting the seeds but am wondering what I should use, other
than water as an ongoing food during the next few months?

If the soil is fertile, they will not need any more feeding IMHO.
Lots of manure dug in ages ago would normally be plenty.
I have less experience of multi-purpose artificial manures.
Too much food can make plants leggy or cause stress in dry weather.
In ye olden days, you threw handfuls of bone meal around teh plants but that
was before BSE.

So my answer is a bit useless; go back in time and dig stuff in.

Des

Cheers

xiv

Old 09-05-2007, 04:26 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by louisxiv[_2_] View Post
Hi

This may be a dumb question but i've just, for the first time in my life
planted some vegetables in my garden. I raked in some multi-purpose plant
food before planting the seeds but am wondering what I should use, other
than water as an ongoing food during the next few months?

Cheers

xiv
I use national growmor at roughly a handfull per sq m. and it lasts all season. Shouldnt need any suppliment. If plants like cabbages are grown which like a lot of Nitrogen then give a bit.
In November dig in your own garden compost to aid fertility, water retention and soil strucure. Otherwise dont get too hung up on fertilizers.

Dumb plant questions Texensis Texas 1 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
Possibly dumb tomato and pepper question Mark Edible Gardening 2 27-03-2003 02:20 PM
Dumb Question... Natty_Dread Gardening 4 06-03-2003 07:27 PM
Dumb Question... (in this newsgroup? What are the odds?) Cereoid+10+ Gardening 1 06-03-2003 05:27 PM
Clear-cutting Colorado a dumb idea Donald L Ferrt alt.forestry 0 08-12-2002 05:20 PM