Old 12-05-2007, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Intro

Having just read the abc for beginners I thought I would give a brief
introduction.

I live in northern Germany where I've more or less been for the last
twenty years. Although I rent, I have been lucky to enough to live on a
farm for the past two years (this is now year 3) and have an enormous
garden. I really enjoy gardening, although I'm not very knowledgeable. I
enjoy the hard work, but also take great pleasure in watching things
grow and develop (although not eveything works out). It's also great to
watch my daughter play and have fun in such a big garden. Climatically,
we are a bit more continental here than in the UK. Weather patterns are
roughly comparable but the extremes tend to be more pronounced. Thirty
is "normal" in the summer, 35 to 40 is not highly unusual. In the winter
it is colder -5 to -10 being normal, -15 and lower are not unusual. Over
the past few years winters appear to be getting milder but wetter and
summers dryer and hotter. Having said that, we had more snow last year
than I have seen for a long time. My permanent crops include
strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blackcurrants, rhubarb, and
apples and pears - all "inherited" with the garden, so don't ask me what
they are. I have a selection of herbs such as parsley, chives, basil. In
most years I plant peas, squeaky beans, raddish, lettuce, potatoes,
leeks and a small selection of brassicas, with which I seem to have
little luck.

OK, 'twas supposed to be brief, so I'll just cut short my ramblings now.

Regards

--
Alan Johnson, Geotr@ns
www.geotrans-online.de
Old 12-05-2007, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/5/07 10:36, in article , "Alan
Johnson" wrote:

Having just read the abc for beginners I thought I would give a brief
introduction.

I live in northern Germany where I've more or less been for the last
twenty years.

snip

Hello, Alan and welcome to urg. I don't grow veggies myself (few tomatoes,
perhaps) but lots of people here do, either in gardens or on allotments, so
I think you'll find plenty to chat about!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 13-05-2007, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Johnson" wrote:

Having just read the abc for beginners I thought I would give a brief
introduction.

I live in northern Germany where I've more or less been for the last
twenty years.

snip

Hello, Alan and welcome to urg. I don't grow veggies myself (few tomatoes,
perhaps) but lots of people here do, either in gardens or on allotments, so
I think you'll find plenty to chat about!

Hello Sacha,

one or two questions, so excuse me again for being stupid. Is your name
pronounced "sasha" or "satcha" or "sacka"? It resembles "Sascha" to me,
which is a boys name in Germany, so are you a boy or a girl? It's an
unusual name for the UK. What do you grow? I can hardly imagine a garden
with no veg. I do grow flowers to but they tend to take a bit of a back
seat. I have lots of hollyhocks and lupins.

Regards

Old 13-05-2007, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Johnson" wrote:

[...]

I'm female, 61, married to a nurseryman in Devon and it's pronounced sasha.
It's the Russian diminutive for Alexander/dra and I was christened Sandra,
though nobody has called me that for years and years. A few children are
christened Sacha or Sasha now and the gender spelling seems not to apply too
strictly. Mine is Sacha simply because an American boyfriend started calling
me that and spelling it that way when I was about 18 and it stayed that way!
We grow little veg. here because most space is given over to garden plants
and shrubs, as far as the nursery is concerned and because the garden itself
is open to the public who seem more interested in flowering plants than
veggie ones.