Old 15-05-2007, 03:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bulk water storage

I have a plan to site two 1000 litre tanks, the 1 meter cube plastic things
mounted on a pallet in a wire cage (I can get them free) hidden between two
buildings and filled from my new hut/garage roof. I also have a pump which
could easily be rigged on the outlet to provide suitable pressure for a
hosepipe, the tanks will have the outlet pipes linked to one tap. Two
questions.

1. The garage has a large yew tree next/over it and the tree sheds a lot of
needles and fruit onto the roof. Will this be detrimental to the quality of
the water for use in the garden?

2. Any thoughts on the effect of winter frosts on my tanks?

Any feedback on the merits (or otherwise) appreciated.

Mike

Old 15-05-2007, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Muddymike wrote:
I have a plan to site two 1000 litre tanks, the 1 meter cube plastic things
mounted on a pallet in a wire cage (I can get them free) hidden between two
buildings and filled from my new hut/garage roof. I also have a pump which
could easily be rigged on the outlet to provide suitable pressure for a
hosepipe, the tanks will have the outlet pipes linked to one tap. Two
questions.

1. The garage has a large yew tree next/over it and the tree sheds a lot of
needles and fruit onto the roof. Will this be detrimental to the quality of
the water for use in the garden?

2. Any thoughts on the effect of winter frosts on my tanks?

Any feedback on the merits (or otherwise) appreciated.

Mike

1: If possible filter the take off from the downpipe. You can get a
centrifugal filter that fits inline and allows the water to drain off
through a mesh while all the big bits of rubbish continue down to the
soak away or land drain. The needles and garbage will get into the tanks
and sludge will form at the bottom eventually blocking the usual tap
outlet. Shouldn't effect the water quality any more than the droppings
of passing birds and rodents.

2: It is perfectly possible for a cubic metre of water to freeze and
crack the tank. drain down for the Winter.

I used to use these but upgraded to a full 20000L submarine tank buried
in the garden with a full pump system. To be honest, it's surprising how
quickly 2000L will go in a dry spell. I find limiting waste by using
watering cans to be useful too.

Cheers,

Simon
Old 15-05-2007, 08:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Simon Harding" wrote in message

To be honest, it's surprising how quickly 2000L will go in a dry spell.

In that recent warm spell we used two sprinklers to water a large area of
new turf we had just laid in the back garden. The two sprinklers emptied our
4000L tank in about 3 hours. When the water ran out I thought the pump had
died!

Later I realised that I should have expected it....A bathroom shower can use
10-20L/min which is 600-1200L per hour.