Old 20-05-2007, 03:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default New to this, advice please CUCUMBERS

Hi

I have set up a green house and have planted cucumbers and tomato's.

The cucumbers are male/femal which i have looked up in my book and it states
that I should remove the male flowers. I really am very new to this and have
never grown anything in my life before but am addicted now. The cucumbers
are about twelve inches in height and have large leaves on them and are
growing long shoots. can anyone advise me please what parts i should be
taking off of the plant?

Thanks in advance

Old 20-05-2007, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"fox66" wrote in message
Hi

I have set up a green house and have planted cucumbers and tomato's.

The cucumbers are male/femal which i have looked up in my book and it
states that I should remove the male flowers. I really am very new to this
and have never grown anything in my life before but am addicted now. The
cucumbers are about twelve inches in height and have large leaves on them
and are growing long shoots. can anyone advise me please what parts i
should be taking off of the plant?

No need to take anything off until you can see actual flowers, opened up.
They will be obvious (the flowers will obviously be flowers :-).
To choose between male and female, the female ones have a mini cucumber
shaped base.
Just wait until you can see a couple. The difference will be clear; both
inside and out. The male flowers have male bits (stamens/anthers) and the
female ones have female bits (stigma/style) which are also obvious if you
look closely; just watch and examine a few as they come out.
Most importantly, DO NOT PANIC. You cannot do much damage just by waiting
and seeing a bit.
I am doing my first ever cucumbers this year so have never actually looked
at a cucumber flower up close. Pumpkin flowers are very very easy to
distinguish and I presume cucs are too.

Des

Thanks in advance