Old 21-05-2007, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plant ID if someone would be so kind!

Hello One & All!

Greeting from Nether Lurking, Mid-Wales.

Briefly, an unknown plant popped up in the side of a pot a while ago (season
before last) and out of curiosity I potted it on. I now have a catkined
curiosity. Anyone any ideas what it might be?

Pics he http://preview.tinyurl.com/367d8t

Apologies if I've screwed up with the pics, made 'em too big or whatever,
but I'm only ham-fisted bloke!

Many thanks - Chris

Old 21-05-2007, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sumgod
writes
Hello One & All!

Greeting from Nether Lurking, Mid-Wales.

Briefly, an unknown plant popped up in the side of a pot a while ago (season
before last) and out of curiosity I potted it on. I now have a catkined
curiosity. Anyone any ideas what it might be?

Pics he http://preview.tinyurl.com/367d8t

Apologies if I've screwed up with the pics, made 'em too big or whatever,
but I'm only ham-fisted bloke!

Many thanks - Chris

Try Carex pendula.

Description from Stace is "Densely tufted; stems to 1.8m, trigonous
(i.e. three-angled), smooth; lowest bract usually shorter than
inflorescence ("catkin"), with long sheath; ...", and from the key
"Female spikes 3mm wide, with peduncle (i.e. stalk of "catkin") more
or less entirely sheathed".

Sedges (e.g. Carex) are "easily told from" grasses "by the absence of a
bract (palea) *above* each flower and usually solid, often trigonous or
triquetrous stems".
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 21-05-2007, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Stewart Robert Hinsley writes
[...]

Grows into quite a big clump, about 4ft high, and looks quite striking.
Seeds itself around with enthusiasm - worth uprooting the seedlings if
you don't want to be over-run.

Will grow in almost total shade - I have one under a medlar tree, which
has remained at about 18 inches tall.
--
Kay
Old 21-05-2007, 11:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
[...]

They certainly do make big clumps and seed about very freely. I think they
are native so it is nice to encourage it a bit.
We inherited a HUGE one in in a bed our current garden and it took 2 of us a
few days to dig it out and a few years to remove all the seedlings. We have
kept some smaller ones in other parts of the garden.

Des in Dublin

--
Kay

Old 22-05-2007, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plant ID if someone would be so kind! Thank You!

Stewart, Kay & Des, Many thanks for the info.

So I'm in possession of a weeping, pendulous sedge, eh?

Well you can't complain at getting something for nothing, can you? A bonus
too I feel that it's a native.

Think I'll try it down by the pond and see how it goes on.

Once again, much thanks for sharing your info and experience with me. Much
appreciated.

Regards - Chris

news

Old 23-05-2007, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes

Try Carex pendula.

We had 8 pots of it left over from our Garden club sale, shows how
popular it was, we decided to compost it rather than pass it on to other
worthy charities.

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph