Old 21-05-2007, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Drip irrigation watering time

I have installed a Gardena micro-drip irrigation system as well as
below ground drip irrigation line for lawn, borders and pots.

My question relates to watering rates for pots. The system for pots
has drip heads which deliver 4 litres per hour, although I tested a
couple and they seem to go up to 6 litres per hour.

I have some medium/largish pots around 40 cm square and 30 to 50 cm
high with photinia, ceanothus, bay and similar. What rate of watering
or length of time watering using the drip heads does anyone use or
recommend? Currently I have them on one hour in morning and one in
evening - but they seem to be leaking quite a lot and I wonder if this
is too much.

I understand that the answer varies according to plant species, site,
container etc, but I wonder if anyone has any broad recommendations
for this system?

Old 22-05-2007, 08:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

mjbarnard wrote:
I have installed a Gardena micro-drip irrigation system as well as
below ground drip irrigation line for lawn, borders and pots.

My question relates to watering rates for pots. The system for pots
has drip heads which deliver 4 litres per hour, although I tested a
couple and they seem to go up to 6 litres per hour.

I understand that the answer varies according to plant species, site,
container etc, but I wonder if anyone has any broad recommendations
for this system?

The nursery I used to work for http://www.blakeneyhouse.co.uk/ we used 4lph
drippers and as a rough guide had one dripper per 10 litres of pot. On hot
days we'd run the system for 15 mins in the morning and 15 mins in the
afternoon.

The trouble with leakage gets much worse if the compost totally dries out.
It's difficult to re-wet the compost and expand it to fit the pot again.
Little and often seems way better than one big hit a day.

I proposed a timer to water at dawn and dusk to cut down on evap but it was
never done... The worst wastage was from unused drippers. No on / off tap
on individual drippers.

Les

--
Remove Frontal Lobes to reply direct.

"These people believe the souls of fried space aliens inhabit their
bodies and hold soup cans to get rid of them. I should care what they
think?"...Valerie Emmanuel

Les Hemmings a.a #2251 SA

Old 22-05-2007, 08:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21 May 2007 14:27:23 -0700, mjbarnard
wrote:

I have installed a Gardena micro-drip irrigation system as well as
below ground drip irrigation line for lawn, borders and pots.

My question relates to watering rates for pots. The system for pots
has drip heads which deliver 4 litres per hour, although I tested a
couple and they seem to go up to 6 litres per hour.

I have ten inch pots with one tomato plant in each - I have mine on
for two hours a day - seems about right - there is always a small
amount of excess water which has drained through at the end of the
watering period.

Old 22-05-2007, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message .com,
mjbarnard writes
I have installed a Gardena micro-drip irrigation system as well as
below ground drip irrigation line for lawn, borders and pots.

My question relates to watering rates for pots. The system for pots
has drip heads which deliver 4 litres per hour, although I tested a
couple and they seem to go up to 6 litres per hour.

I have some medium/largish pots around 40 cm square and 30 to 50 cm
high with photinia, ceanothus, bay and similar. What rate of watering
or length of time watering using the drip heads does anyone use or
recommend? Currently I have them on one hour in morning and one in
evening - but they seem to be leaking quite a lot and I wonder if this
is too much.

I think it's probably way too much - think about how much you might
apply if using a watering can?.

I don't remember precisely, as we've moved and aren't using it any more,
but I think we used to run our system for about 10 minutes 3 times a
day. you need to find a nice warm dry week or so to test it properly.
But I'd probably start at 15 minutes each time.

--
Chris French

Old 22-05-2007, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , judith
writes
wrote:

I have installed a Gardena micro-drip irrigation system as well as
below ground drip irrigation line for lawn, borders and pots.

My question relates to watering rates for pots. The system for pots
has drip heads which deliver 4 litres per hour, although I tested a
couple and they seem to go up to 6 litres per hour.

I have ten inch pots with one tomato plant in each - I have mine on
for two hours a day - seems about right - there is always a small
amount of excess water which has drained through at the end of the
watering period.

You must surely have drippers feeding a lot less water, at 4l per hour
that'd be best part of a watering can full of water per plant per day

--
Chris French

Old 23-05-2007, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 22 May 2007 15:41:44 +0100, chris French
wrote:

In message , judith
writes
wrote:

I have installed a Gardena micro-drip irrigation system as well as
below ground drip irrigation line for lawn, borders and pots.

My question relates to watering rates for pots. The system for pots
has drip heads which deliver 4 litres per hour, although I tested a
couple and they seem to go up to 6 litres per hour.

I have ten inch pots with one tomato plant in each - I have mine on
for two hours a day - seems about right - there is always a small
amount of excess water which has drained through at the end of the
watering period.

You must surely have drippers feeding a lot less water, at 4l per hour
that'd be best part of a watering can full of water per plant per day

Yes - sorry - you are quite right - they are Gardena - but obviously
have a slower drip rate

Roses Fertilizing and Drip Irrigation Jon Boehm Roses 8 21-03-2011 06:28 PM
Watering Advice for a Gardening Newbie, (Drip Irrigation) umpazall Gardening 1 11-05-2007 12:21 PM
Source for Raindrip Drip-A-long drip hose? [email protected] Gardening 0 29-04-2007 05:59 PM
drip irrigation for lawns br Texas 1 15-04-2003 09:56 PM
AYTOK Drip Irrigation Equipments , Presents its Products... Tokmak Gardening 0 31-03-2003 01:44 PM