Old 02-06-2007, 08:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ride on lawn mower

I'm looking for recommendations for a ride on rotary mower. Which are the
best makes?

We've got a new lawn about 0.25 acre (if the moles don't get it. See
separate thread) and a 1 acre paddock. I'm looking for something that will
cut the lawn and the paddock - at least until we can get animals on it.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

CWatters wrote:
I'm looking for recommendations for a ride on rotary mower. Which are
the best makes?

We've got a new lawn about 0.25 acre (if the moles don't get it. See
separate thread) and a 1 acre paddock. I'm looking for something that
will cut the lawn and the paddock - at least until we can get animals
on it.

Cheaper to put a couple of goats on it.

--
MSN
Email

WebCam
http://nitromax.ww.com
Location Telford, Shropshire

Old 03-06-2007, 07:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

HI Colin

On Sat, 2 Jun 2007 20:05:31 +0100, "CWatters"
wrote:

I'm looking for recommendations for a ride on rotary mower. Which are the
best makes?

We've got a new lawn about 0.25 acre (if the moles don't get it. See
separate thread) and a 1 acre paddock. I'm looking for something that will
cut the lawn and the paddock - at least until we can get animals on it.

We have about the same total area out here in the South-west of
Ireland.

When we moved out here I went looking for a 2nd-hand mower - very few
of them available privately but managed to find a nice one from the
local garden machinery place - they take them in in part-exchange and
then sell them on.

Mine is badged 'Einhel' (apparently made by Husquavarna) - 12hp B&D
engine and twin blades cutting 36".

Things to look for.....
Mulching option - saves an awful lot of 'emptying'
Rear discharge chute - my previous machine was side-discharge and was
forever getting blocked up
'Proper' large tyres - machines intended for lawns will have trouble
coping with lumps and bumps in a paddock
Nothing too 'clever' - the more equipment, dials, buttons lights etc -
the more there is to go wrong.
Try the machine - see if it's comfortable for you.
Expect a warranty and the machine to be serviced when you get it.
Use it lots in the first couple of months to discover any possuible
defects!

Unless you have money to burn, it's worth looking for a good
second-hand machine from a decent dealer. Some people (out here, at
least) will change their mower for a new one every couple of years -
and if they've looked after the 'old' one then it'll save you a
considerable amount of money

In terms of 'makes to avoid' - a friend of mine in the UK bought a new
Countach (?spelling) - and it's been a nightmare. He has a mix of lawn
and meadow - and the thing just isn't up to it - eats bearings on the
mowing deck.....

Hope this helps
Adrian
Old 03-06-2007, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Adrian" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks. Exactly the sort of info I'm looking for. Already been advised to
avoid side tube types.

Unless you have money to burn, it's worth looking for a good
second-hand machine from a decent dealer. Some people (out here, at
least) will change their mower for a new one every couple of years -
and if they've looked after the 'old' one then it'll save you a
considerable amount of money

Yes I've had a few second hand cylinder mowers before. Just got a 30 year
old Suffolk Colt off ebay to do the smaller bits. Owner fixes up mowers as a
hobby and did a good job. Might go back to him for a bigger ride behind
cylinder mower at some point. Want the ride on for the paddock and the lawn
when it's got too tall due to bad weather or lack of time to cut it.

Old 03-06-2007, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

HI Colin

On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 17:46:27 +0100, "CWatters"
wrote:

"Adrian" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Good advice !

Unless you have money to burn, it's worth looking for a good
second-hand machine from a decent dealer. Some people (out here, at
least) will change their mower for a new one every couple of years -
and if they've looked after the 'old' one then it'll save you a
considerable amount of money

Yes I've had a few second hand cylinder mowers before. Just got a 30 year
old Suffolk Colt off ebay to do the smaller bits. Owner fixes up mowers as a
hobby and did a good job. Might go back to him for a bigger ride behind
cylinder mower at some point. Want the ride on for the paddock and the lawn
when it's got too tall due to bad weather or lack of time to cut it.

When we moved out here the 'lawn' was about 6" tall - but the
'paddock' was a foot or so in places - and a nasty mix of grass and
clover. (Seems the clover is great at clogging up the discharge tube).
To make it more exciting - bits of the paddock are a fairly steep
gradient......

In the end, I magnaged to 'tame' the paddock by using the ride-on, in
the slowest gear available, and mowing a narrow strip (say 12" wide)
at one go. Took 3-times longer, of course - but eventaully got the job
done.....

If I let the grass get too long in the paddock then I find that the
only way to do it is to run the ride-on with the grass collector
removes - gets a spectacular 'plume' of chopped grass out the back
which either rots into the ground or gets picked up the next time I
mow. Not ideal - but the best of a bad job...

Regards
Adrian

Old 03-06-2007, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nitro®"
Cheaper to put a couple of goats on it.

Unfortunately goats like to eat everything except grass. They are also great
escape artists.

David.

Old 04-06-2007, 11:15 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by David \(Normandy\) View Post
"Nitro®"
Cheaper to put a couple of goats on it.

Unfortunately goats like to eat everything except grass. They are also great
escape artists.

David.
May sound silly, but the most efficient grass mowers I've ever had are two guinea pigs. Boy! do they crop it low!

Lawn mower or zero turn ride on nckw Lawns 6 15-08-2010 09:39 AM
Ride on - lawn mower P&J United Kingdom 19 18-09-2003 08:29 PM
ride on mower rob Lawns 1 05-05-2003 10:58 PM
Ride on mower rob Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:35 AM
ride on mower rob Lawns 1 01-01-2003 03:32 AM