Old 20-06-2007, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default New pictures

I have just posted 20 new pictures to Twango showing the gardens today if
anyone is interested go to http://www.twango.com/channel/Muddymike.Garden

Much of the change has nothing to do with me, its just what was there
developing after a little TLC.

Perhaps someone can tell me what these are.

http://www.twango.com/media/Muddymik...e.10266?sort=5

They have grown up on a raised bed which was covered in ivy.

Mike

Old 20-06-2007, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/6/07 16:21, in article ,
"Muddymike" wrote:

I have just posted 20 new pictures to Twango showing the gardens today if
anyone is interested go to
http://www.twango.com/channel/Muddymike.Garden

Much of the change has nothing to do with me, its just what was there
developing after a little TLC.

Very important, that TLC! The garden looks wonderful, Mike, really loved and
cared for.

Perhaps someone can tell me what these are.

http://www.twango.com/media/Muddymik...e.10266?sort=5

They have grown up on a raised bed which was covered in ivy.

Not at all sure, but could it be valerian?

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 20-06-2007, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 20/6/07 16:21, in article ,
"Muddymike" wrote:

I have just posted 20 new pictures to Twango showing the gardens today if
anyone is interested go to
http://www.twango.com/channel/Muddymike.Garden

Much of the change has nothing to do with me, its just what was there
developing after a little TLC.

Very important, that TLC! The garden looks wonderful, Mike, really loved and
cared for.

Perhaps someone can tell me what these are.

http://www.twango.com/media/Muddymik...e.10266?sort=5

They have grown up on a raised bed which was covered in ivy.

Not at all sure, but could it be valerian?

Valerian has flattish flower heads; Mike's plants seem to have spikes of
flowers. It might be some kind of mullein, but I think we need a
photograph of a single plant for identification.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 20-06-2007, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 20/6/07 16:21, in article ,
"Muddymike" wrote:

I have just posted 20 new pictures to Twango showing the gardens today
if
anyone is interested go to
http://www.twango.com/channel/Muddymike.Garden

Much of the change has nothing to do with me, its just what was there
developing after a little TLC.

Very important, that TLC! The garden looks wonderful, Mike, really loved
and
cared for.

Perhaps someone can tell me what these are.

http://www.twango.com/media/Muddymik...e.10266?sort=5

They have grown up on a raised bed which was covered in ivy.

Not at all sure, but could it be valerian?

Valerian has flattish flower heads; Mike's plants seem to have spikes of
flowers. It might be some kind of mullein, but I think we need a
photograph of a single plant for identification.

When I get time I shall take a close up.

Mike

Old 20-06-2007, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Muddymike writes
I have just posted 20 new pictures to Twango showing the gardens today if
anyone is interested go to http://www.twango.com/channel/Muddymike.Garden

Much of the change has nothing to do with me, its just what was there
developing after a little TLC.

Perhaps someone can tell me what these are.

http://www.twango.com/media/Muddymik...e.10266?sort=5

They have grown up on a raised bed which was covered in ivy.

Very difficult to tell! We could do with a close up. The only thing I
can think of with leaves going all the way up the stem is mullein, and I
wouldn't expect to see quite so many of them in such a small area
--
Kay

Old 20-06-2007, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Stewart Robert Hinsley writes
In message , Sacha
writes
On 20/6/07 16:21, in article ,
"Muddymike" wrote:

I have just posted 20 new pictures to Twango showing the gardens today if
anyone is interested go to
http://www.twango.com/channel/Muddymike.Garden

Much of the change has nothing to do with me, its just what was there
developing after a little TLC.

Very important, that TLC! The garden looks wonderful, Mike, really loved and
cared for.

Perhaps someone can tell me what these are.

http://www.twango.com/media/Muddymik...e.10266?sort=5

They have grown up on a raised bed which was covered in ivy.

Not at all sure, but could it be valerian?

Valerian has flattish flower heads; Mike's plants seem to have spikes
of flowers. It might be some kind of mullein, but I think we need a
photograph of a single plant for identification.

Leaves are wrong for valerian = Centranthus ruber - valerian leaves are
a bit more erect, and on branches, rather than one stem per plant as
here.
--
Kay
Old 20-06-2007, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , K
writes
"Muddymike" wrote:

[...]

I was considering the possibility of other species of Valerian, tho'
none of V. officinalis, V. dioica and V. phu look like a match.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 20-06-2007, 10:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Stewart Robert Hinsley writes
In message , K
writes
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes

Valerian has flattish flower heads; Mike's plants seem to have spikes
of flowers. It might be some kind of mullein, but I think we need a
photograph of a single plant for identification.

Leaves are wrong for valerian = Centranthus ruber - valerian leaves
are a bit more erect, and on branches, rather than one stem per plant
here.

I was considering the possibility of other species of Valerian, tho'
none of V. officinalis, V. dioica and V. phu look like a match.

I'd dismissed V officinalis because of the segmented leaves, I don't
know the other two.
--
Kay
Old 21-06-2007, 12:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/6/07 16:49, in article lid, "Stewart Robert
Hinsley" wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes
On 20/6/07 16:21, in article
,
"Muddymike" wrote:

I have just posted 20 new pictures to Twango showing the gardens today if
anyone is interested go to
http://www.twango.com/channel/Muddymike.Garden

Much of the change has nothing to do with me, its just what was there
developing after a little TLC.

Very important, that TLC! The garden looks wonderful, Mike, really loved and
cared for.

Perhaps someone can tell me what these are.

http://www.twango.com/media/Muddymik...e.10266?sort=5

They have grown up on a raised bed which was covered in ivy.

Not at all sure, but could it be valerian?

Valerian has flattish flower heads; Mike's plants seem to have spikes of
flowers. It might be some kind of mullein, but I think we need a
photograph of a single plant for identification.

I didn't find the photo very clear but I thought the leaves looked a bit too
fleshy for mullein?

Old 21-06-2007, 08:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Muddymike" wrote in message
I have just posted 20 new pictures to Twango showing the gardens today if
anyone is interested go to http://www.twango.com/channel/Muddymike.Garden

Much of the change has nothing to do with me, its just what was there
developing after a little TLC.

Perhaps someone can tell me what these are.

http://www.twango.com/media/Muddymik...e.10266?sort=5

They have grown up on a raised bed which was covered in ivy.

Mike

It could be some form of Lobelia, not the trailing small thing,or perhaps a
veronicastrum?

Old 21-06-2007, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I have just uploaded a close up picture of one of the mystery plants. They
are all over 2 feet tall and still growing, having started growing last
summer and overwintered at about 4 inches tall.

Take a look at.

http://www.twango.com/media/Muddymik...e.10282?sort=5

Mike

Old 21-06-2007, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Muddymike
writes
I have just uploaded a close up picture of one of the mystery plants. They
are all over 2 feet tall and still growing, having started growing last
summer and overwintered at about 4 inches tall.

Take a look at.

http://www.twango.com/media/Muddymik...e.10282?sort=5

Mike

Probably Great Mullein, Verbascum thapsus. The decurrent (lower parts
fused to the stem) leaves distinguish this species from most other
species of the genus.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 21-06-2007, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Take a look at.

http://www.twango.com/media/Muddymik...e.10282?sort=5

Mike

Probably Great Mullein, Verbascum thapsus. The decurrent (lower parts
fused to the stem) leaves distinguish this species from most other species
of the genus.
--

Thanks Stewart

That's certainly it
http://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/...at_mullein.htm we had a
few of them in the garden last year. They grew so big my wife dubbed them
"Triffids"

Mike

Old 21-06-2007, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Muddymike writes
I have just uploaded a close up picture of one of the mystery plants. They
are all over 2 feet tall and still growing, having started growing last
summer and overwintered at about 4 inches tall.

Take a look at.

http://www.twango.com/media/Muddymik...e.10282?sort=5

Mullein.

They'll open to yellow flowers, and you may be lucky enough to have
their own specific caterpillar, the mullein moth.
--
Kay