Old 21-06-2007, 02:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Homemade spray question?

Is there a spray one can make up for greenfly and aphids (on rose buds in
partic)? Picking them off, or a blast from the hose is not the answer for
this corner of my garden ).

Old 21-06-2007, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 13:41:12 GMT, Pinetree wrote:

Is there a spray one can make up for greenfly and aphids (on rose buds in
partic)? Picking them off, or a blast from the hose is not the answer for
this corner of my garden ).

Hi Pinetree,a pint of water with one or two of cap's full of cooking oil.
Add a couple of drops of detergent to break up the oil,give it a good shake
and spray.
The idea is the oil coats the aphids and they suffocate.
Some people only use the water and detergent. I dont like this because too
much detergent can damage the plants.
--
Regards From
Wane Smooth

Help feed the Hungry,goto
http://www.thehungersite.com
It's Free!
Old 21-06-2007, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21 Jun, 14:41, "Pinetree" wrote:
Is there a spray one can make up for greenfly and aphids (on rose buds in
partic)? Picking them off, or a blast from the hose is not the answer for
this corner of my garden ).

I make nettle juice, with water and nettle which I leave in a closed
container for 3/4 weeks. It not only deter aphids but also I use it as
a feed. If you're looking for a container, Mary Fisher on this group
has lots of plastic containers ideal for this purpose. I've collected
10 from her a couple of weeks ago.

This site gives you all the best home made spray there is. You can
also plant chives and garlic at the base of your roses which deters
aphids. Rosemary too is good to deter carrot flies etc. Marigolds
attracts hoverflies who feed on aphids.

http://www.organicgarden.org.uk/grow...sts/sprays.htm

Old 21-06-2007, 06:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks La Puce: My old roses ('undreds) are mostly in hedge form, so
planting underneath is not practical. Though I do a lot of companion
planting, it never seems to deter the slugs I notice - I'm going to try the
copper around my veggies, that someone wrote about here. The yeast+water in
lids (for slugs) too much trouble for a large garden.
(Now which church roof still has copper? g)
Neat ideas from this group, thanks ) Regards Pinetree.

ups.com...