Old 24-06-2007, 08:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Buying in bulk

We had a really interesting lecture at Field End Nurseries near
Berkhamstead last week. He grows and sells a really huge range of less
common plants (the nursery itself is a great jungley heap but Sooo
interesting)
Anyway to get to the point.
He described how he mixed his own propagating compost from 10% fine
grade bark chippings, peat based compost, JI no3, 10% grit, 10% fine
vermiculite (to hold water and nutrients) sand and chicken grit (fine
grade), the last to ensure that the surface was alkaline to discourage
liverwort etc.

Where would be the cheapest place for a non trader to buy large amounts
of the Cambark finest grade, and vermiculite etc? Can you get cheaper
online? All the good prices seem to be for traders only.
I get through about 30 - 40 bags of compost each year but would be happy
ordering up to 70 bags in one go, as well as the other stuff.

My local garden centre's best deal is 3, 75litre compost with added JI
for £10

I wouldn't mind getting more if it was cheap and sharing the order with
friends.

He also said that there was now some debate about the effectiveness of
heeled cuttings, might as well be ordinary cuttings, He often put some
Ji at the base of the pot if he was going to leave the cuttings for some
time, so they had something to grow into.

Janet

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph