Old 01-07-2007, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Too many seedlings

This Spring I planted lots of seeds gathered in the Autumn from our Virginia
creeper. I only thought a few would germinate so planted hundreds in a
couple of seed trays. Similar with Rosa Rugosa pips and some seeds donated
by our neighbour from one of his shrubs - I don't know what it is called but
the seed pods were very much like those on laburnum.

Yesterday I pricked out and potted 87 Rosa Rugosa seedlings which will
eventually make a nice hedge but 103 Virginia creepers have got me
pondering. I can probably use half a dozen around our old stone barn, but it
looks like all visitors will be given a gift of one whether they like them
or not! As for the 60 or so shrubs, I don't even know what they are called
but look like ending up with a new shrubbery.

Does anyone else get carried away planting seeds? I haven't the heart to let
the seedlings die.

David.

Old 01-07-2007, 03:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The bloody rabbits ate most of my "too many seedlings" when I planted them
out.

Mike

Old 01-07-2007, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The bloody rabbits ate most of my "too many seedlings" when I planted them
out.

Mike

Any seed trays or seedling that may be of interest to rabbits I keep within
the veg garden - it is enclosed with wire mesh fencing to keep them out.
Occasionally I see them lurking outside the perimeter, but they haven't got
in yet. Just a pity it isn't mole proof too.

David.

Old 01-07-2007, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 1 Jul 2007 14:45:50 +0100, David \(Normandy\) wrote
(in article ):

[...]

Oh David, a man after my own heart! I currently have about 70 Verbena
Bonariensis, about 30 Coreopsis, over 100 yellow alyssum (well, we do like
them g), and also much to amazement 40 healthy Bill Mackenzie clematis
seedlings. The last was really a freak, since we wanted one extra clematis
plant, the books all said to sow seeds in autumn, but I casually bunged some
of last year's seed heads in a pot before we went on holiday in May. The pot
erupted, I pricked them out and they are now all about 4 inches high and
trying to climb. I really don't know what to do with them next but I do know
that even in a garden our size 40 is too much!

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Burne-Jones/William Morris window in Shropshire church with conservation

Old 03-07-2007, 01:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article et, Sally
Thompson writes
Oh David, a man after my own heart! I currently have about 70 Verbena
Bonariensis, about 30 Coreopsis, over 100 yellow alyssum (well, we do like
them g),

Same here, I planted/ sowed Echium Blue Steeple and because they were
expensive and out of the ordinary didn't expect them all to germinate.
Now I have loads and god knows who will want a biennial that will be 6
foot tall next year, albeit a rarish plant

(I'm going to send Sacha an early Christmas present but don't warn her
)

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 03-07-2007, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message

Don't suppose anyone wants about 200 lupins?

No idea what colour they are, but they all germinated, all grew on, and
are now in peat pots with the roots growing through.

I think I'll put them in the woods and see what happens.

I like lupins - they're from my childhood - but when I tried to grow them
here they suffered enormous grey aphids.

I don't warm to enormous grey aphids :-(

Mary

Old 03-07-2007, 02:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message

Don't suppose anyone wants about 200 lupins?

No idea what colour they are, but they all germinated, all grew on,
and are now in peat pots with the roots growing through.

I think I'll put them in the woods and see what happens.

I like lupins - they're from my childhood - but when I tried to grow
them here they suffered enormous grey aphids.

I don't warm to enormous grey aphids :-(

I don't warm to slugs either, and they love young lupins. But I put the pots
I wanted into the ground, and put propagator tray lids on them, to stop them
getting over-watered, then put a liberal dash of slug pellet round the
trays. Must have got a few hundred of the blighters.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Mary Fisher writes

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message

Don't suppose anyone wants about 200 lupins?

No idea what colour they are, but they all germinated, all grew on, and
are now in peat pots with the roots growing through.

I think I'll put them in the woods and see what happens.

I like lupins - they're from my childhood - but when I tried to grow them
here they suffered enormous grey aphids.

I like them, but they're slug-fodder.

I'm now trying to grow one in the slug-free environment of the
greenhouse. Ridiculous.

--
Kay
Old 03-07-2007, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes

Okay, I won't! ;-) These will be hugely appreciated when she receives them
though. ;-)
I'll have to see if Ray's got any E.fastuosum going spare this year or next
- just to give you a bit of contrast!

Well actually I only grew the Blue Spires as some people had seen them
on a coach trip to Devon and I said I would have a go at growing them. I
actually forgot they were the tall ones so put a load into a seed tray
and was happily planning to plant them as fillers for spaces
I'll put some in the post to you. But PLEASE no tropical plants back,
though I appreciate the thought and offer

Also just bought a Deutzia setchuensis so cuttings have been
taken............

Janet
Old 04-07-2007, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 3/7/07 19:30, in article , "Janet Tweedy"
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes

Okay, I won't! ;-) These will be hugely appreciated when she receives them
though. ;-)
I'll have to see if Ray's got any E.fastuosum going spare this year or next
- just to give you a bit of contrast!

Well actually I only grew the Blue Spires as some people had seen them
on a coach trip to Devon and I said I would have a go at growing them. I
actually forgot they were the tall ones so put a load into a seed tray
and was happily planning to plant them as fillers for spaces
I'll put some in the post to you. But PLEASE no tropical plants back,
though I appreciate the thought and offer

Also just bought a Deutzia setchuensis so cuttings have been
taken............

Janet

I have a Dianthus 'Green Lanes' looking at me reproachfully which I have to
pack up and send to Bob. If there's another going spare this year or next,
I think you'd like it. It never went into commercial production because the
stems aren't as long as some but it's a really gorgeous white flower with a
wonderful scent. You do know that if your Echiums flower and set seed you
will have literally hundreds of them, don't you? ;-)
I thought I'd lost mine after an unusual frost in Jersey but come the spring
there must have been about 300 of them around the garden. On Tresco they
grow like weeds - literally - and seem to hybridise into all manner of
shapes and colours - gorgeous things.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 01-07-2007, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message
This Spring I planted lots of seeds gathered in the Autumn from our
Virginia creeper. I only thought a few would germinate so planted hundreds
in a couple of seed trays. Similar with Rosa Rugosa pips and some seeds
donated by our neighbour from one of his shrubs - I don't know what it is
called but the seed pods were very much like those on laburnum.

Yesterday I pricked out and potted 87 Rosa Rugosa seedlings which will
eventually make a nice hedge but 103 Virginia creepers have got me
pondering. I can probably use half a dozen around our old stone barn, but
it looks like all visitors will be given a gift of one whether they like
them or not! As for the 60 or so shrubs, I don't even know what they are
called but look like ending up with a new shrubbery.

Does anyone else get carried away planting seeds? I haven't the heart to
let the seedlings die.

Yes. I still have some tomato seedlings and no room for planting them -
after giving lots away.

Then there are the pine treeling grown from the seeds from a cone from
daughter's farm. I thought she might like some more but she said I must be
joking!

Mary

Old 01-07-2007, 09:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...
Does anyone else get carried away planting seeds? I haven't the heart to
let the seedlings die.

Yes. I still have some tomato seedlings and no room for planting them -
after giving lots away.

Then there are the pine treeling grown from the seeds from a cone from
daughter's farm. I thought she might like some more but she said I must be
joking!

Mary

why not offer your seedlings on freecyle?

go to www.freecycle.org and choose your local group.

Old 01-07-2007, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Space" wrote in message
news

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...
Does anyone else get carried away planting seeds? I haven't the heart to
let the seedlings die.

Yes. I still have some tomato seedlings and no room for planting them -
after giving lots away.

Then there are the pine treeling grown from the seeds from a cone from
daughter's farm. I thought she might like some more but she said I must
be joking!

Mary

why not offer your seedlings on freecyle?

go to www.freecycle.org and choose your local group.

I haven't looked closely at this site, but I was under the impression that
it is UK based, the OP is in France.