Old 10-07-2007, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plant Identification 2

Ok. Here's the first batch of plants if anyone would like a go at educating
me as to what they are.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/astral....den/plants.htm

(Hope the page works)

1. About 8 inches high and looks like some sort of succulent.
2. About a foot high
3. About 4 foot high.
4. About 18 inches high and quite invasive.
5. About 4 foot high
6. Climbing through a bush with long tendrils wrapping round the bush.
7. Small shield shaped leafs, spikier than they look. I think it had
yellow flowers on earlier.
8. About 18 inches high. Very fast growing.
9. Might be the same as 11 but a different colour.
10. About 18 inches high.
11. About 2 foot high.
12. About 2 feet high. Seems to be taking over the front garden.

Thanks for any help.

Mel W.

Old 10-07-2007, 04:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Astral Voyager wrote:
[...]

Hello, my try:

3. Linaria purpurea
4. Chrysanthemum ??
5. Crocosmia (lucifer?)
6. Bryonia dioica (=weed?)
8. Geranium sp.
9. Lavendula angustifolia var.
10. Hebe sp.
11. another Lavendula?
12. Corydalis lutea (could be considered as a weed as wel...)

Philippe

Old 10-07-2007, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Philippe Gautier wrote:
Astral Voyager wrote:
[...]

oh and 7. Maybe Berberis (trifoliata???)
Old 10-07-2007, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Philippe Gautier wrote:

oh and 7. Maybe Berberis (trifoliata???)

Mahonia?

--
Remove Frontal Lobes to reply direct.

"These people believe the souls of fried space aliens inhabit their
bodies and hold soup cans to get rid of them. I should care what they
think?"...Valerie Emmanuel

Les Hemmings a.a #2251 SA

Old 10-07-2007, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Astral Voyager
writes
Ok. Here's the first batch of plants if anyone would like a go at educating
me as to what they are.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/astral....den/plants.htm

Someone else might do better, but the images aren't good enough for me
to pick out some of these.

(Hope the page works)

1. About 8 inches high and looks like some sort of succulent.

Possibly Sedum album (white stonecrop), or some other white-flowered
Sedum.

2. About a foot high

Some sort of composite - Arctotis and Gazania are my best guesses, but
perhaps someone here grows the plant and recognises it.

3. About 4 foot high.

Might be Erysimum 'Bowles Mauve', or might be something completely
different.
4. About 18 inches high and quite invasive.

I'm guessing one of the Mayweed/Chamonile group. It's not Anthemis
punctata, and the flowers don't look right for a form of Anthemis
tinctoria. If it is one of that group the scent of the foliage helps
identification. Otherwise details of the foliage will help.

5. About 4 foot high

Crocosmia - perhaps Crocosmia 'Lucifer'

6. Climbing through a bush with long tendrils wrapping round the bush.

I had to look that one up, but it's Bryonia dioica (white bryony).

7. Small shield shaped leafs, spikier than they look. I think it had
yellow flowers on earlier.

Berberis darwinii.

8. About 18 inches high. Very fast growing.

Geranium - someone else might recognise the species/variety

9. Might be the same as 11 but a different colour.

Might be lavender.

10. About 18 inches high.

Hebe - again someone else might recognise the species/variety

11. About 2 foot high.

Might be lavender.

12. About 2 feet high. Seems to be taking over the front garden.

Corydalis lutea

Thanks for any help.

Mel W.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 10-07-2007, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:
| In message , Astral Voyager
| writes
|
| 4. About 18 inches high and quite invasive.
|
| I'm guessing one of the Mayweed/Chamonile group. It's not Anthemis
| punctata, and the flowers don't look right for a form of Anthemis
| tinctoria. If it is one of that group the scent of the foliage helps
| identification. Otherwise details of the foliage will help.

The scent can help for other groups, too - and whether it is annual or
perennial will. There are a zillion poached egg like composites with
a tendency to get out of hand.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Philippe Gautier writes

Hello, my try:

1. Stonecrop (Sedum)
2. Erigeron

3. Linaria purpurea

Yes, probably, though a close up would confirm

4. Chrysanthemum ??

Mayweed, if it has aromatic leaves

5. Crocosmia (lucifer?)
6. Bryonia dioica (=weed?)

Aka White bryony. A UK native with red berries.

8. Geranium sp.

Possibly one of the UK natives. Keep or not depending on how much you
like it.

9. Lavendula angustifolia var.
10. Hebe sp.
11. another Lavendula?

Yes.

12. Corydalis lutea (could be considered as a weed as wel...)

oh and 7. Maybe Berberis (trifoliata???)

Berberis, definitely not mahonia.
--
Kay
Old 10-07-2007, 08:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Astral Voyager" wrote in message
[...]

1 don't know, may be a sedum of some sort
2 Erigeron can't remember the second half of its name
3 Not sure, Linaria?
4 Feverfew
5 Crocosmia not sure which one
6 Bryony
7 Berberis
8 Geranium x magnificum
9 Lavender? check the smell
10 Hebe, possibly 'Midsummer Beauty'
11White Lavender check the smell
12 Corydalis lutea

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 15-07-2007, 12:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Astral Voyager" wrote:

Ok. Here's the first batch of plants if anyone would like a go at
educating me as to what they are.

My thanks to all who had a go at identifying the plants for me. I think you
got all of them between you. Now suitably labelled for future reference
(except the White Bryony which I dug up).

Regards,

Mel W.

Old 15-07-2007, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/7/07 12:46, in article ,
"Astral Voyager" wrote:

"Astral Voyager" wrote:

Ok. Here's the first batch of plants if anyone would like a go at
educating me as to what they are.

My thanks to all who had a go at identifying the plants for me. I think you
got all of them between you. Now suitably labelled for future reference
(except the White Bryony which I dug up).

We always keep some Black Bryony in the garden because, apparently,
blackbirds love the berries. If it's the same stuff it's known as 'coral'
too and it has large and beautiful heart shaped leaves.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk