Old 17-07-2007, 11:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Runner bean trimming?

To maximise crop is it best to pinch out runner beans when they reach
the top of their poles, or leave them to sort themselves out?
Old 17-07-2007, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Broadback writes:

| To maximise crop is it best to pinch out runner beans when they reach
| the top of their poles, or leave them to sort themselves out?

Pinch them out. They will produce new shoots from lower down.
I grow mine on a 'cage' and drape them across the top of it, so
don't pinch.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 17-07-2007, 01:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
Broadback writes:

| To maximise crop is it best to pinch out runner beans when they reach
| the top of their poles, or leave them to sort themselves out?

Pinch them out. They will produce new shoots from lower down.

And you have to look at them daily, those tips grow at an astonishing rate!
Think Jack and the Beanstalk.

Mary

Old 17-07-2007, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

et...

Broadback writes:

| To maximise crop is it best to pinch out runner beans when they reach
| the top of their poles, or leave them to sort themselves out?

Pinch them out. They will produce new shoots from lower down.

And you have to look at them daily, those tips grow at an astonishing
rate! Think Jack and the Beanstalk.

Mary

Is it really necessary to pinch them out? I've grown runner beans for years
up an elongated wigwam of bamboo canes and never pinched them out. We always
get far too many beans and end up giving lots away to visitors. It was only
last week we finished eating the remains of last years frozen ones.

The important thing I was told, is never to allow beans to grow too big or
the plants stop flowering. Where I find the odd one that "has got away" I
pull it off and compost it. Similarly if there are too many beans on the
plants and the freezer is full and everyone including visitors are sick of
the sight of them, I just pull them off and compost them rather than let
them "age".

It is only towards Autumn that we let some pods grow to maturity to provide
seeds for anther year.

Why do supermarkets typically sell pods that are long, stringy and dry
rather than the smaller juicy ones?

David.

Old 17-07-2007, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Broadback writes:

| To maximise crop is it best to pinch out runner beans when they reach
| the top of their poles, or leave them to sort themselves out?

Pinch them out. They will produce new shoots from lower down.

And you have to look at them daily, those tips grow at an astonishing
rate! Think Jack and the Beanstalk.

Mary

Is it really necessary to pinch them out? I've grown runner beans for years
up an elongated wigwam of bamboo canes and never pinched them out. We always
get far too many beans and end up giving lots away to visitors. It was only
last week we finished eating the remains of last years frozen ones.

The important thing I was told, is never to allow beans to grow too big or
the plants stop flowering. Where I find the odd one that "has got away" I
pull it off and compost it. Similarly if there are too many beans on the
plants and the freezer is full and everyone including visitors are sick of
the sight of them, I just pull them off and compost them rather than let
them "age".

It is only towards Autumn that we let some pods grow to maturity to provide
seeds for anther year.

Why do supermarkets typically sell pods that are long, stringy and dry
rather than the smaller juicy ones?

David.

I guess David because they are sold by the pound, whoops wash my mouth
out, kilo, therefore it maximises the profit.

Old 17-07-2007, 02:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"David \(Normandy\)" writes:

| Is it really necessary to pinch them out? I've grown runner beans for years
| up an elongated wigwam of bamboo canes and never pinched them out. We always
| get far too many beans and end up giving lots away to visitors. It was only
| last week we finished eating the remains of last years frozen ones.

No, but you end up with a complete tangle and can't find the beans,
which makes it hard to prevent some of them growing too big. But, as
I said, on a sufficiently large structure (my cage or a large wigwam),
there is no need to do that.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 17-07-2007, 02:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David \(Normandy\)" writes:

| Is it really necessary to pinch them out? I've grown runner beans for
years
| up an elongated wigwam of bamboo canes and never pinched them out. We
always
| get far too many beans and end up giving lots away to visitors. It was
only
| last week we finished eating the remains of last years frozen ones.

No, but you end up with a complete tangle and can't find the beans,
which makes it hard to prevent some of them growing too big. But, as
I said, on a sufficiently large structure (my cage or a large wigwam),
there is no need to do that.

But that is part of the fun :-) peering into the tangle looking for beans.
The ones that elude me are usually those right at the bottom dragging on the
ground.

David.

Old 17-07-2007, 03:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Broadback writes:

| To maximise crop is it best to pinch out runner beans when they
reach
| the top of their poles, or leave them to sort themselves out?

Pinch them out. They will produce new shoots from lower down.

And you have to look at them daily, those tips grow at an astonishing
rate! Think Jack and the Beanstalk.

Mary

Is it really necessary to pinch them out? I've grown runner beans for
years up an elongated wigwam of bamboo canes and never pinched them out.
We always get far too many beans and end up giving lots away to visitors.
It was only last week we finished eating the remains of last years frozen
ones.

The important thing I was told, is never to allow beans to grow too big
or the plants stop flowering. Where I find the odd one that "has got
away" I pull it off and compost it. Similarly if there are too many beans
on the plants and the freezer is full and everyone including visitors are
sick of the sight of them, I just pull them off and compost them rather
than let them "age".

It is only towards Autumn that we let some pods grow to maturity to
provide seeds for anther year.

Why do supermarkets typically sell pods that are long, stringy and dry
rather than the smaller juicy ones?

David.

I guess David because they are sold by the pound, whoops wash my mouth
out, kilo, therefore it maximises the profit.

I've seen some really awful ones for sale in such places. Supermarket runner
beans and home grown are like two entirely different vegetables. If they
sold them small and fresh I'm sure they'd sell more.

David.

Old 17-07-2007, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
To maximise crop is it best to pinch out runner beans when they reach the
top of their poles, or leave them to sort themselves out?

I always pinch them out at about eye height, they will carry on growing for
about another three feet!

Old 17-07-2007, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Broadback writes:

| To maximise crop is it best to pinch out runner beans when they reach
| the top of their poles, or leave them to sort themselves out?

Pinch them out. They will produce new shoots from lower down.

And you have to look at them daily, those tips grow at an astonishing
rate! Think Jack and the Beanstalk.

Mary

Is it really necessary to pinch them out? I've grown runner beans for
years up an elongated wigwam of bamboo canes and never pinched them out.
We always get far too many beans and end up giving lots away to visitors.
It was only last week we finished eating the remains of last years frozen
ones.

It's not necessary but if you're stumpy like me you can't reach the high-up
ones. And if they drape down it's messy, they get tangles with lower ones.

Mary

Old 19-07-2007, 08:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Alan Holmes wrote:
"Broadback" wrote in message
To maximise crop is it best to pinch out runner beans when they reach the
top of their poles, or leave them to sort themselves out?

I always pinch them out at about eye height, they will carry on growing for
about another three feet!

Sigh, now you tell me! LOL Never mind there is always next year, if I
remember.
Old 19-07-2007, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
Alan Holmes wrote:
"Broadback" wrote in message
To maximise crop is it best to pinch out runner beans when they reach
the top of their poles, or leave them to sort themselves out?

I always pinch them out at about eye height, they will carry on growing
for about another three feet!

Sigh, now you tell me! LOL Never mind there is always next year, if I
remember.

We obviously have something in common, I always have trouble remembering
things!

Old 20-07-2007, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"Broadback" wrote in message
Alan Holmes wrote:
"Broadback" wrote in message
To maximise crop is it best to pinch out runner beans when they reach
the top of their poles, or leave them to sort themselves out?

I always pinch them out at about eye height, they will carry on growing
for about another three feet!

Sigh, now you tell me! LOL Never mind there is always next year, if I
remember.

We obviously have something in common, I always have trouble remembering
things!

Nothing wrong with your memory, Alan, it's as good as mine.

The retrieval system, however, sometimes fails.

Mary

Old 24-07-2007, 12:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

. net...

"Broadback" wrote in message
Alan Holmes wrote:
"Broadback" wrote in message
To maximise crop is it best to pinch out runner beans when they reach
the top of their poles, or leave them to sort themselves out?

I always pinch them out at about eye height, they will carry on growing
for about another three feet!

Sigh, now you tell me! LOL Never mind there is always next year, if I
remember.

We obviously have something in common, I always have trouble remembering
things!

Nothing wrong with your memory, Alan, it's as good as mine.

The retrieval system, however, sometimes fails.

I have, for some time, been pestering the doctor for a memory transplant but
he has not been forthcoming!