Old 30-07-2007, 02:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cure for Knotweed?

In article ,
"CWatters" wrote:

"K" wrote in message
writes
Since glyphosate is taken up by the plant and interferes with the
metabolic process, and needs to travel throughout the plant to be fully
effective, the logic and experience of others here is that applying in
more concentrated form lessens its effectiveness

--
Kay

Ah thanks for that. I did wonder if making it too strong was just a waste.
It's not cheap.

Firstly, Knotweed eradication is possible.
This is what we did to a stand about 2.5metres tall 5 metres long
by 3 metres. That is a substantial clump.
In autumn, just before the weed was beginning to die back for
the winter we cut it to the ground, leaving about 5 cm stems
protruding. We poured glyphosate into these - made up to
the strongest recommended dilution. We added food dye so that we could
see which stumps had been treated at a glance. The glyphosate
was mixed up and dispensed into the stems using a large
syringe - without a needle.
The material we cut was fairly carefully built into
a sort of stook or rick with most of the stems horizontal and
some verticals pushed through to hold it together. After a
couple of weeks the whole mass had dried out sufficiently and
it was burnt on the site so there were no disposal problems.
Next spring it was clear that, while it wasn't completely dead,
it was extremely sick. A few straggly stems come up. Every
time we see a leaf it gets painted with glyphosate solution,
weather permitting. We're expecting to have to monitor the site
for at least two seasons more but basically it is dying fast
and it hasn't had a chance to build its stored food this season.
We've two more similar sized clumps to do this autumn.