Old 27-07-2007, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cure for Knotweed?

I've been asked to have a look at some Japanese Knotweed, to see if I
can clear it.
My first reaction was 'no', as I know what a pain they can be to clear,
but I said I'd give it some thought, and get back to them if I can find
an economic way to clear it.

So, are there any tips to get rid, or should they 'call a bloke out?'

Thanks
Alan.
Old 27-07-2007, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"A.Lee" wrote in message
I've been asked to have a look at some Japanese Knotweed, to see if I
can clear it.
My first reaction was 'no', as I know what a pain they can be to clear,
but I said I'd give it some thought, and get back to them if I can find
an economic way to clear it.

So, are there any tips to get rid, or should they 'call a bloke out?'

Thanks
Alan.

Either way it's a very difficult task, cover it with very dark thick plastic
and you may stand a chance

Old 27-07-2007, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

A.Lee writes
I've been asked to have a look at some Japanese Knotweed, to see if I
can clear it.
My first reaction was 'no', as I know what a pain they can be to clear,
but I said I'd give it some thought, and get back to them if I can find
an economic way to clear it.

So, are there any tips to get rid, or should they 'call a bloke out?'

I believe there are restrictions on disposing of it - check the DEFRA
site.
--
Kay
Old 27-07-2007, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 19:35:24 +0100, "Robert \(Plymouth\)"
remove my other hobby to reply
wrote:

"A.Lee" wrote in message
.. .
I've been asked to have a look at some Japanese Knotweed, to see if I
can clear it.
My first reaction was 'no', as I know what a pain they can be to clear,
but I said I'd give it some thought, and get back to them if I can find
an economic way to clear it.

So, are there any tips to get rid, or should they 'call a bloke out?'

Thanks
Alan.

Either way it's a very difficult task, cover it with very dark thick plastic
and you may stand a chance

Plastic won't help - knot weed can push through thick tarmac.

I have heard that spraying at regular intervals with glyphosate mixed
at 4x the proper strength will kill it. But that would be illegal so I
can't confirm whether it works......

Old 28-07-2007, 07:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

A.Lee wrote:

I've been asked to have a look at some Japanese Knotweed, to see if I
can clear it.
My first reaction was 'no', as I know what a pain they can be to clear,
but I said I'd give it some thought, and get back to them if I can find
an economic way to clear it.

So, are there any tips to get rid, or should they 'call a bloke out?'

Thanks
Alan.

I have heard a Wildlife Trust ranger commenting that he considers the
sucessful removal of Japanese Knotweed as the only legitimate peaceful
use for nuclear weapons .....

Since, if that approach is tried, George Bush will invade, I'd suggest a
'bloke' - armed with a JCB :-)
--
Larry Stoter

Old 28-07-2007, 08:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Larry Stoter writes
A.Lee wrote:

I've been asked to have a look at some Japanese Knotweed, to see if I
can clear it.
My first reaction was 'no', as I know what a pain they can be to clear,
but I said I'd give it some thought, and get back to them if I can find
an economic way to clear it.

So, are there any tips to get rid, or should they 'call a bloke out?'

Thanks
Alan.

I have heard a Wildlife Trust ranger commenting that he considers the
sucessful removal of Japanese Knotweed as the only legitimate peaceful
use for nuclear weapons .....

Since, if that approach is tried, George Bush will invade, I'd suggest a
'bloke' - armed with a JCB :-)

Knotweed must be disposed of at a licensed site (for which a charge is
made)
--
Kay
Old 28-07-2007, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , K
wrote

Knotweed must be disposed of at a licensed site (for which a charge is
made)

If a charge is made just fly tip it.

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Old 28-07-2007, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan" wrote in message
news
In message , K
wrote

Knotweed must be disposed of at a licensed site (for which a charge is
made)

If a charge is made just fly tip it.

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com

We have a WONDERFUL dustbin service here on the Isle of Wight. They take
anything as long as it is 'handable'. Obnoxious weeds go into a plastic
supermarket bag, into the black plastic dustbin liner then we just tie the
neck and they collect it at about 6.30 on a Monday morning.

2, 3 4, or more black sacks? No problem :-))
Cardboard boxes of rubbish? No problem :-))

What is YOUR dustbin service like?

Mike

Reunion Bournemouth August/September 2007
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 28-07-2007, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 19:35:24 +0100, "Robert \(Plymouth\)"
remove my other hobby to reply
wrote:

"A.Lee" wrote in message
. ..
I've been asked to have a look at some Japanese Knotweed, to see if I
can clear it.
My first reaction was 'no', as I know what a pain they can be to clear,
but I said I'd give it some thought, and get back to them if I can find
an economic way to clear it.

So, are there any tips to get rid, or should they 'call a bloke out?'

Thanks
Alan.

Either way it's a very difficult task, cover it with very dark thick
plastic
and you may stand a chance

Plastic won't help - knot weed can push through thick tarmac.

I have heard that spraying at regular intervals with glyphosate mixed
at 4x the proper strength will kill it. But that would be illegal so I
can't confirm whether it works......

Actually it can grow through 6 inch concrete as well!

I've never been able to fathom how it's possible for a plant to break
through something as strong as this but it does and I've seen it.

Weedkiller has no effect on mature foliage.

You need to spray at the start of the season as the new shoots come out and
continue as necessary.

It may take several seasons though to eradicate it according to our Parks
staff.

Stephen

Old 28-07-2007, 08:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

A.Lee wrote:
I've been asked to have a look at some Japanese Knotweed, to see if I
can clear it.
My first reaction was 'no', as I know what a pain they can be to
clear, but I said I'd give it some thought, and get back to them if I
can find an economic way to clear it.

So, are there any tips to get rid, or should they 'call a bloke out?'

Thanks
Alan.

I've watched the council try and fail dismally. Sharkham Point, Brixham.
They cut down, weedkilled, burnt with flamethrowers and repeated this
process twice to my knowledge. The next season you wouldn't know they'd been
there.

It's also illegal to transplant I think...

Les

--
Remove Frontal Lobes to reply direct.

"These people believe the souls of fried space aliens inhabit their
bodies and hold soup cans to get rid of them. I should care what they
think?"...Valerie Emmanuel

Les Hemmings a.a #2251 SA

Old 29-07-2007, 08:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K wrote:

Larry Stoter writes
A.Lee wrote:

I've been asked to have a look at some Japanese Knotweed, to see if I
can clear it.
My first reaction was 'no', as I know what a pain they can be to clear,
but I said I'd give it some thought, and get back to them if I can find
an economic way to clear it.

So, are there any tips to get rid, or should they 'call a bloke out?'

Thanks
Alan.

I have heard a Wildlife Trust ranger commenting that he considers the
sucessful removal of Japanese Knotweed as the only legitimate peaceful
use for nuclear weapons .....

Since, if that approach is tried, George Bush will invade, I'd suggest a
'bloke' - armed with a JCB :-)

Knotweed must be disposed of at a licensed site (for which a charge is
made)

So, the local council will fine you if you use nuclear weapons?
--
Larry Stoter
Old 29-07-2007, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Larry Stoter wrote
K wrote:

Knotweed must be disposed of at a licensed site (for which a charge is
made)

So, the local council will fine you if you use nuclear weapons?

Probably, but not issued from the section of the smoking crater that was
once the local Council office.
--
Roger Hunt
Old 29-07-2007, 08:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"A.Lee" wrote in message
I've been asked to have a look at some Japanese Knotweed, to see if I
can clear it.
My first reaction was 'no', as I know what a pain they can be to clear,
but I said I'd give it some thought, and get back to them if I can find
an economic way to clear it.

So, are there any tips to get rid, or should they 'call a bloke out?'

Thanks
Alan.

well I have my fingers crossed but I think I have solved my infestation
which was rather stupidly planted by an old bloke who lived here. I was
lucky enough to spot a van from a firm that gets rid of the stuff and spoke
to the driver. he let me have about 1ltr of glyfos gold which I have
recently put down and as I say fingers crossed it has worked.

My blog:
http://uk.360.yahoo.com/shiptodruid