Old 29-07-2007, 12:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cat & squirrel barrier?

New one to me but the endorsements seem to suggest it works:
http://www.stoppit.co.uk/

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 29-07-2007, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
New one to me but the endorsements seem to suggest it works:
http://www.stoppit.co.uk/

--
Sacha

60+ pence EACH to keep the neighbour's vermin off YOUR garden :-(((

Mike

Reunion Bournemouth August/September 2007
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 29-07-2007, 01:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| New one to me but the endorsements seem to suggest it works:
| http://www.stoppit.co.uk/

Yes and no. The 'explanations' are complete, er, crap. And, of
course a physical barrier will work - I use chicken wire, as has
been used and recommended by gardeners since the industrial
revolution created it .... The traditional method uses any
convenient twigs - hawthorn hedge clippings are what used to be
recommended before chicken wire became cheap.

Its claim that it can be used to protect lawns is true, but only
in a politician's sense of 'true', and not in anyone else's. You
would need them dense and tall enough round all edges to stop cats
and squirrels walking, climbing or jumping over them, which would
make mowing impossible without removing them every time.

It will protect ONLY where you place it, and is a fiendishly
expensive way of doing what you could do yourself using wire loops
or any suitable twiggery.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 29-07-2007, 01:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/7/07 13:01, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| New one to me but the endorsements seem to suggest it works:
| http://www.stoppit.co.uk/

Yes and no. The 'explanations' are complete, er, crap. And, of
course a physical barrier will work - I use chicken wire, as has
been used and recommended by gardeners since the industrial
revolution created it .... The traditional method uses any
convenient twigs - hawthorn hedge clippings are what used to be
recommended before chicken wire became cheap.

Its claim that it can be used to protect lawns is true, but only
in a politician's sense of 'true', and not in anyone else's. You
would need them dense and tall enough round all edges to stop cats
and squirrels walking, climbing or jumping over them, which would
make mowing impossible without removing them every time.

It will protect ONLY where you place it, and is a fiendishly
expensive way of doing what you could do yourself using wire loops
or any suitable twiggery.

I imagine the 'attraction' in these is that they're pre-formed and that they
look nicer than wire bits and pieces. I don't think most would mind chicken
wire in the veg. garden but possibly not among the flower beds,

Old 29-07-2007, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| New one to me but the endorsements seem to suggest it works:
| http://www.stoppit.co.uk/

Yes and no. The 'explanations' are complete, er, crap. And, of
course a physical barrier will work - I use chicken wire, as has
been used and recommended by gardeners since the industrial
revolution created it .... The traditional method uses any
convenient twigs - hawthorn hedge clippings are what used to be
recommended before chicken wire became cheap.

Its claim that it can be used to protect lawns is true, but only
in a politician's sense of 'true', and not in anyone else's. You
would need them dense and tall enough round all edges to stop cats
and squirrels walking, climbing or jumping over them, which would
make mowing impossible without removing them every time.

It will protect ONLY where you place it, and is a fiendishly
expensive way of doing what you could do yourself using wire loops
or any suitable twiggery.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Like I said in my other posting, 60+ pence each to keep the neighbour's
vermin out. WHY WHY WHY do WE have to put up with the damn things?

Old 29-07-2007, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| I imagine the 'attraction' in these is that they're pre-formed and that they
| look nicer than wire bits and pieces. I don't think most would mind chicken
| wire in the veg. garden but possibly not among the flower beds,

Nah. It's that they come in packets. You can make equally attractive
ones from your own willow/hazel twigs, hawthorn clippings etc. It's
just too much effort for the modern, er, fill in your own term here.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 29-07-2007, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/7/07 13:56, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| I imagine the 'attraction' in these is that they're pre-formed and that
they
| look nicer than wire bits and pieces. I don't think most would mind
chicken
| wire in the veg. garden but possibly not among the flower beds,

Nah. It's that they come in packets. You can make equally attractive
ones from your own willow/hazel twigs, hawthorn clippings etc. It's
just too much effort for the modern, er, fill in your own term here.

Oh, I don't dispute that. You've got to find a supplier of your own will
etc. bits and bobs. This has done it all for you and for a lot of people,
that's the attraction. Shame but true.

Old 29-07-2007, 03:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 13:56:21 +0100, Nick Maclaren wrote
(in article ):

In article ,
Sacha writes:

I imagine the 'attraction' in these is that they're pre-formed and that
they
look nicer than wire bits and pieces. I don't think most would mind
chicken
wire in the veg. garden but possibly not among the flower beds,

Nah. It's that they come in packets. You can make equally attractive
ones from your own willow/hazel twigs, hawthorn clippings etc. It's
just too much effort for the modern, er, fill in your own term here.

To protect small plants from our own cats, I stick bits of old golden rod
sticks in. This isn't to stop the cats fouling the beds, but sleeping on the
plants!

Works well.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Burne-Jones/William Morris window in Shropshire church with conservation

Old 29-07-2007, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha writes:

| I imagine the 'attraction' in these is that they're pre-formed and that
they
| look nicer than wire bits and pieces. I don't think most would mind
chicken
| wire in the veg. garden but possibly not among the flower beds,

Nah. It's that they come in packets. You can make equally attractive
ones from your own willow/hazel twigs, hawthorn clippings etc. It's
just too much effort for the modern, er, fill in your own term here.

Chicken wire is almost invisible.

Mary

Old 29-07-2007, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/7/07 18:15, in article
, "Mary Fisher"

Sacha writes:

| I imagine the 'attraction' in these is that they're pre-formed and that
they
| look nicer than wire bits and pieces. I don't think most would mind
chicken
| wire in the veg. garden but possibly not among the flower beds,

Nah. It's that they come in packets. You can make equally attractive
ones from your own willow/hazel twigs, hawthorn clippings etc. It's
just too much effort for the modern, er, fill in your own term here.

Chicken wire is almost invisible.

Mary

Indeed it is not, unless what has grown through it is a danger to life and
limb for those trying to weed, hoe, rake etc.!