Old 30-07-2007, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Petrol and oil

On Jul 30, 3:46 am, "Barry" wrote:
"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message

, I, Marvo, say :

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 11:27:55 +0100, "Mark"
wrote:

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
in , I, Marvo,
say :

I've got a petrol lawnmower and a petrol hedge trimmer.
Now I'm not telling you that to brag!

Lawnmower likes its petrol straight and hedge trimmer prefers a
dash of oil.
Rather than have two cans on the go could I just have one 'petrol
plus oil' can and refuel both machines or do you think it would
upset the lawn mower.
This also means that I get a faster turnover of petrol so that it
is less likely to go stale.

When you say "prefers a drop of oil" is one (or both) of these
things a 2-stroke? If not, what sort of a drop of oil does it
prefer?

Hedgecutter is two stroke. Have been usingsyntheticoil.

Depends on the mix but it will probably oil up the plug of the lawn
mower.

Buy another can

One can for petrol and the other for the correct 2 stroke mix.
Get the mix wrong on 2 stroke and you will shorten the life of the 2 stroke
engine........so make sure the petrol oil ratio is right and mix up a whole can full.

As another poster said.....2 stroke mix is not too good for a 4 stroke motor
Go for it !
Barry

With 2 stroke oil, synthetic, it's been the experience of my contacts
that are 2 stroke owners to replace old w/ new spark plug after the
first 15 minutes of first time use of the first synthetic 2 stroke oil
mix.

Old 31-07-2007, 10:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mark" wrote in message

I've got a petrol lawnmower and a petrol hedge trimmer.
Now I'm not telling you that to brag!

Lawnmower likes its petrol straight and hedge trimmer prefers a dash of

oil.

Rather than have two cans on the go could I just have one 'petrol plus

oil'
can and refuel both machines or do you think it would upset the lawn

mower.

This also means that I get a faster turnover of petrol so that it is less
likely to go stale.

mark

I keep neat 4 stroke and add a few drops of oil to the funnel when filling
the strimmer which is 2 stroke and needs oil.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 31-07-2007, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
, I, Marvo, say :

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 15:02:25 +0100, "Uncle Marvo"

, I, Marvo, say :

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 13:09:28 +0100, "Uncle Marvo"
wrote:

And don't leave it half full, or in the cooler weather the water
in the air will condense and eventually settle at the bottom of
the petrol. You will then put it in the lawnmower. Later, when
you start the lawnmower, it will have a carburettor full of
water.

Another urban legend. If you had stayed awake in A level
physics/chemistry you'd be able to work it out for yourself.

'Tisn't. The water is already in the petrol. They add it at the
"factory" to make the engine run quieter.

Since I stopped buying fuel in boatyards 10 years ago, I have had
zero water in my boat's fuel, even when one winter I left the tank
half full.

What gums up two stroke engines left unused during the winter is
that the petrol in the carburetor evaporates leaving behind the
oil. You should turn of the fuel and run the engine until it stops
before putting it away for winter.

Here's something to read
http://www.yachtsurvey.com/myth_of_c...fuel_tanks.htm

I don't rely on stuff on the internet cos most of it is balls.

So is most of
what I write,

That is a very naughty admission!(:-)

I know. But when it is, it's obvious. I wouldn't "advise" anyone on anything
dangerous unless it had a ":-)" at the end of it.

Here's another true story about water in petrol ... I learned this from a
chap who worked on aircraft engines, the petrol kind, with carburettors, and
a very long time ago. It probably doesn't apply so much to modern engines.

When it's raining, cars run better. Everybody knew that. So they
experimented with a device which would make steam using a water container,
heated up from the exhaust pipe, and injected steam into the air intake.
This made it run better too. So some bright spark decided just to put water
in the tank, and that made it run better as well. It wasn't until they
started dropping out of the sky that somebody realised that you can't get
anything for nothing.

Old 31-07-2007, 02:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 10:40:11 +0100, "Uncle Marvo"

, I, Marvo, say :

wrote:

[...]

The moral of the above is never believe anything you read on Internet?

I should think the internet was a glean in someone's eye when that story was
first told to me. The company was then called Hawker Siddeley Dynamics :-)

The moral of life is never to believe anything you read on the internet, the
papers, the telly, or anywhere else.

:-)