Old 30-07-2007, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Petrol and oil

I've got a petrol lawnmower and a petrol hedge trimmer.
Now I'm not telling you that to brag!

Lawnmower likes its petrol straight and hedge trimmer prefers a dash of oil.

Rather than have two cans on the go could I just have one 'petrol plus oil'
can and refuel both machines or do you think it would upset the lawn mower.

This also means that I get a faster turnover of petrol so that it is less
likely to go stale.

mark

Old 30-07-2007, 11:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

I've got a petrol lawnmower and a petrol hedge trimmer.
Now I'm not telling you that to brag!

Lawnmower likes its petrol straight and hedge trimmer prefers a dash
of oil.
Rather than have two cans on the go could I just have one 'petrol
plus oil' can and refuel both machines or do you think it would upset
the lawn mower.
This also means that I get a faster turnover of petrol so that it is
less likely to go stale.

When you say "prefers a drop of oil" is one (or both) of these things a
2-stroke? If not, what sort of a drop of oil does it prefer?

Old 30-07-2007, 11:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Uncle Marvo" writes:
| , I, Marvo, say :
|
| Lawnmower likes its petrol straight and hedge trimmer prefers a dash
| of oil.
|
| When you say "prefers a drop of oil" is one (or both) of these things a
| 2-stroke? If not, what sort of a drop of oil does it prefer?

Personally, I favour a drop of neck oil.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 30-07-2007, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
, I, Marvo, say :

I've got a petrol lawnmower and a petrol hedge trimmer.
Now I'm not telling you that to brag!

Lawnmower likes its petrol straight and hedge trimmer prefers a dash
of oil.
Rather than have two cans on the go could I just have one 'petrol
plus oil' can and refuel both machines or do you think it would upset
the lawn mower.
This also means that I get a faster turnover of petrol so that it is
less likely to go stale.

When you say "prefers a drop of oil" is one (or both) of these things a
2-stroke? If not, what sort of a drop of oil does it prefer?

Hedgecutter is two stroke. Have been using synthetic oil.

mark

Old 30-07-2007, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
, I, Marvo, say :

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 11:27:55 +0100, "Mark"
wrote:

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
in , I, Marvo,
say :

I've got a petrol lawnmower and a petrol hedge trimmer.
Now I'm not telling you that to brag!

Lawnmower likes its petrol straight and hedge trimmer prefers a
dash of oil.
Rather than have two cans on the go could I just have one 'petrol
plus oil' can and refuel both machines or do you think it would
upset the lawn mower.
This also means that I get a faster turnover of petrol so that it
is less likely to go stale.

When you say "prefers a drop of oil" is one (or both) of these
things a 2-stroke? If not, what sort of a drop of oil does it
prefer?

Hedgecutter is two stroke. Have been using synthetic oil.

Depends on the mix but it will probably oil up the plug of the lawn
mower.

Buy another can

One can for petrol and the other for the correct 2 stroke mix.
Get the mix wrong on 2 stroke and you will shorten the life of the 2 stroke
engine........so make sure yout petrol oil ratio
is right and mix up a whole can full.

As another poster said.....2 stroke mix is not too good for a 4 stroke motor

Go for it !

Barry

Old 30-07-2007, 01:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mark wrote:

I've got a petrol lawnmower and a petrol hedge trimmer.
Now I'm not telling you that to brag!

Lawnmower likes its petrol straight and hedge trimmer prefers a dash of oil.

Rather than have two cans on the go could I just have one 'petrol plus oil'
can and refuel both machines or do you think it would upset the lawn mower.

Just buy one of the 2-stroke oil mixer cans, and keep the 5l container
for the mower.
They are around £4 from garden centres, with scales on the side for
measuring out the 2-stroke oil. Fill it to the level with petrol, then
top it up to the required level with the oil.
Dead easy, and it stops you having to measure out the oil separately.
Of course, you will still have 2 containers, but one will only hold
around 1 litre,so very easy to store, the other will have normal petrol
in it.
Alan.

Old 30-07-2007, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

Mark wrote:

[...]

And don't leave it half full, or in the cooler weather the water in the air
will condense and eventually settle at the bottom of the petrol. You will
then put it in the lawnmower. Later, when you start the lawnmower, it will
have a carburettor full of water.

Doesn't matter so much with a strimmer cos it's never the same way up for
long.

Old 30-07-2007, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin writes:
| On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 13:09:28 +0100, "Uncle Marvo"
|
| And don't leave it half full, or in the cooler weather the water in the air
| will condense and eventually settle at the bottom of the petrol. You will
| then put it in the lawnmower. Later, when you start the lawnmower, it will
| have a carburettor full of water.
|
| Another urban legend. If you had stayed awake in A level physics/chemistry you'd
| be able to work it out for yourself.

Well, I never did A level chemistry, but I can assure you that it can
happen, because I have seen it. For it to do so, you need an
alternation between conditions of high absolute humidity and ones
of low temperature, combined with an air gap large enough to form
droplets that run down the side of the container. I have never
seen it happen with anything smaller than a 5 gallon drum, left a
quarter full for several decades.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 30-07-2007, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 15:02:25 +0100, "Uncle Marvo"

, I, Marvo, say :

wrote:

And don't leave it half full, or in the cooler weather the water in
the air will condense and eventually settle at the bottom of the
petrol. You will then put it in the lawnmower. Later, when you
start the lawnmower, it will have a carburettor full of water.

Another urban legend. If you had stayed awake in A level
physics/chemistry you'd be able to work it out for yourself.

'Tisn't. The water is already in the petrol. They add it at the
"factory" to make the engine run quieter.

Since I stopped buying fuel in boatyards 10 years ago, I have had
zero water in my boat's fuel, even when one winter I left the tank
half full.

What gums up two stroke engines left unused during the winter is that
the petrol in the carburetor evaporates leaving behind the oil. You
should turn of the fuel and run the engine until it stops before
putting it away for winter.

Here's something to read
http://www.yachtsurvey.com/myth_of_c...fuel_tanks.htm

I don't rely on stuff on the internet cos most of it is balls. So is most of
what I write, but this particular one isn't.

Having flown several light aircraft, I have on many occasions removed water
from them during preflight checks. It is done by shoving a pointy thing up a
valve underneath the wing tank and waiting until the stuff that comes out
doesn't have tell-tale bubbles or globules of water in.

It is not mythical water, it is real wet water.

Planes tend to stay the same way up, as far as gravity is concerned (even
though they tilt in order to turn). So do lawnmowers.

Cars don't have the same problem because they go round corners and that
swills the fuel about. Like strimmers. Also cars tend now to be injected,
and injectors can cope with a dash of H2O. Carburettors can't when the float
is full of the stuff.

Old 30-07-2007, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Uncle Marvo" writes:

| Having flown several light aircraft, I have on many occasions removed water
| from them during preflight checks. ...
|
| Planes tend to stay the same way up, as far as gravity is concerned (even
| though they tilt in order to turn). So do lawnmowers.
|
| Cars don't have the same problem because they go round corners and that
| swills the fuel about. ...

Aeroplanes also tend to have larger tanks.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 30-07-2007, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

That is a very naughty admission!(:-)

Old 30-07-2007, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mark" wrote in message

I've got a petrol lawnmower and a petrol hedge trimmer.
Now I'm not telling you that to brag!

Lawnmower likes its petrol straight and hedge trimmer prefers a dash of
oil.

Rather than have two cans on the go could I just have one 'petrol plus
oil' can and refuel both machines or do you think it would upset the lawn
mower.

This also means that I get a faster turnover of petrol so that it is less
likely to go stale.

mark

Oh well another genius idea bites the dust!
Two cans it is.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

mark

Old 30-07-2007, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin writes:

| Boatyards sell a mix of fuel and water from large tanks that stand empty all
| winter. The water that boat owners find in their fuel is blamed by boatyards on
| condensation in the boat owners fuel tanks.

That figures ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.