Old 07-08-2007, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What veg can I plant now?

Hi All,

I'm new to growing vegetables on my allotment (getting better every
year!) and I was wondering now I've dug up my onions and planted my
leaks what can I plant in the ever increasing empty space?
Last year I put in mustard as a green manure, but it seems to be a
bit of a waste of all the space available. Have any of you got some
favourites for planting this time of year?

Thanks,
Andy

Old 07-08-2007, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Andy wrote:
Hi All,

I'm new to growing vegetables on my allotment (getting better every
year!) and I was wondering now I've dug up my onions and planted my
leaks what can I plant in the ever increasing empty space?
Last year I put in mustard as a green manure, but it seems to be a
bit of a waste of all the space available. Have any of you got some
favourites for planting this time of year?

Thanks,
Andy

Spring cabbage, well sow, if you can get other brassica plants you may
be in time to plant them out. If you have room and nothing else for the
space nothing to lose by giving it a go. Also, if you can get them how
about some "Christmas" potatoes?
Old 07-08-2007, 11:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi Andy,

May I suggest that you visit as many websites as you can and make notes?
This is what I did when I began gardenoing a few years back.

Such sites as "GardenAction", the RHS website, the BBC website, and there
are many websites/blogs produced by individuals who may live in the same
area as you. Also, try the websites of seed suppliers such as Marshalls,
Thompson & Morgan, Suttons Seeds, Mr. Fothergill, and others. There is
wealth a wealth of information out there. Sometimes, however, as I have
found out you need a group like this to answer specific questions that
ordinary website just don't cover or so disagree with each other that it's
confusing!!!!!!.

Why I produced these A4 monthly sheets was that, just like you I was new to
gardening and only started a few years back and knew next to nothing - there's
still a lot I don't know but am learning (I hope!).

I have done exactly as I have suggested you do and produced a single A4
sheet for each month giving not only what I can plant/sow but what else I
ought to do that month. These I find invaluable as memory joggers. In time,
I believe, and hope, that I won't need them but I certainly do at the
moment!.

As regards what you can grow now It really depends on where you live and
whether you mean this month or over the coming months.

I live on the South Coast and am planning on planting/sowing (or have
recently planted/sown) the following over the next few months until
December.

lettuce (over wintering varieties such as "Artic King")

Over wintering onions, such as T & M's "Hi Keeper F1 Hybrid".

garlic,

cabbage (over-wintering varieties such as January King, Flower of Spring,
Tundra)

winter radish,

carrots such as "Vita Longa"

turnips.

parsley

spinach

And there are various fast-maturing oriental vegetables, which I must admit
I don't grow.

I hope this helps!

Regards,

John

ups.com...

Old 07-08-2007, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks that should give me a few things to put in the empty spaces.
It's amazing what can grow in the winter!

Thanks,
Andy

What veg can I plant? Andrew Hickley United Kingdom 1 09-08-2006 11:26 AM
Veg for planting now/soon Adam United Kingdom 6 05-08-2006 11:10 PM
veg to sow now H Ryder United Kingdom 3 02-08-2005 01:15 PM
Veg/Fruit to plant now and preparing land for first use... Jack Guest United Kingdom 4 06-07-2004 12:04 PM
Veg patch - what to plant now. J Jackson United Kingdom 0 17-10-2002 12:43 PM