Old 05-08-2006, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Veg for planting now/soon

Hi Everyone

Having just moved into a new house, I've missed a large chunk of the
gardening year, but have a nice tempting bare patch of ground for planting
vegetables in.

Any suggestions for things I can plant now or soon, either winter veg or
fast growing things for harvesting later in the summer? Any suggestions for
suitable edible plants gratefully received.

Many thanks
Adam

Old 05-08-2006, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

There should still be time to plant some leek seeds. I plant around 50 seeds
per 5" pot and when they are around 6-8 inches high transplant individually
to their own dibbed hole - as deep as you can drop them in, around 8 inches
apart. You should have a nice supply of leeks through Winter and Spring.
I've just finished planting around 500 seedlings that way - my back is
killing me, I never want to see another leek seedling again, ever! Until
next year anyway :-)

Around November you can plant onion sets and garlic. This year I'm trying
growing onion from seed for the first time - apparently now is the time to
plant those.

You can also plant Spinach now ready for eating over Winter and Spring. It
is excellent chopped up fine, steamed and mixed with a cheese sauce and
served with pasta.

You can also plant lettuce and raddish now. I find slugs a problem with
planting lettuce seed directly into the garden so like to set these
individually in 3" pots until they are growing well, then transfer them to
the garden. Beetroot also works well this way without so many pests
burrowing into them.
--
David
.... Email address on website http://www.avisoft.co.uk

Old 05-08-2006, 02:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

:
: Around November you can plant onion sets and garlic. This year I'm trying
: growing onion from seed for the first time - apparently now is the time to
: plant those.
:
: You can also plant Spinach now ready for eating over Winter and Spring. It
: is excellent chopped up fine, steamed and mixed with a cheese sauce and
: served with pasta.
:
: You can also plant lettuce and raddish now. I find slugs a problem with
: planting lettuce seed directly into the garden so like to set these
: individually in 3" pots until they are growing well, then transfer them to
: the garden. Beetroot also works well this way without so many pests
: burrowing into them.
: --
: David
: ... Email address on website http://www.avisoft.co.uk
: ... Blog at http://dlts-french-adventures.blogspot.com/
:

Leek seeds...naa far too late. Try over wintering onions in September with
garlic and spring cabbage and then sow broad beans in October. Salad crops
now
:

Old 05-08-2006, 03:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Robert" wrote in message

[...]

Agreed about Leeks.
Where are you ? I have quite a bit of started stuff in pots etc (incl .
Leeks) just waiting for some open ground.
Cheapocheapo !
See my website for my location and email add.

Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 05-08-2006, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Adam
Always one to try something alternative - you could always try kohl
rabi - they are quick to mature. Also Chinese cabbage - provide
excellent yield and if cut before frost can be put in the garage or
somewhere cool and stored. Ok the outer leaves will wilt, but the main
heart of the cabbage will be fine - will last most of the winter.
More mainstream - there is a dwarf french bean called speedy - because
it is may need a little protection from autumnal weather. Some of the
white turnips are ok late, Ivory, which is a cylinder type rather than
the usual round has done ok for me in the past.
Most of the oriental greens seem to do ok from later sowings. If you
are quick in sowing and keep watered might even get away with red
cabbage

Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire

- having spent the day budding apple trees and enjoying it - only have
to wait til next year to see if they have taken!

Old 05-08-2006, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Late carrots are a good crop will now miss most of the carrot fly season,
(according to Amateur Gardening magazine this week.) Recommended varieties
are
resistafly F1
carson F1
kingston AGM
eskimo F1
flakkee
touchon

You could also try Kohl Rabi which is a quick maturing crop, pick and eat
when size of a cricket ball for best flavour and sow small rows fortnightly
until late august early september, this cabn be used grated on salads or
choped and used in stews, diced and boiled as second veg.

For more info look here.
http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants....cea+gongylodes
I have grown it in the West Midlands this late before and left in ground
through early part of winter.
regards
Cineman

Old 05-08-2006, 11:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Adam" wrote
Having just moved into a new house, I've missed a large chunk of the
gardening year, but have a nice tempting bare patch of ground for planting
vegetables in.

Any suggestions for things I can plant now or soon, either winter veg or
fast growing things for harvesting later in the summer? Any suggestions
for suitable edible plants gratefully received.

Plant now....
Lettuce (use a packet of mixed seed if available)
Spring Onions
Radish (in a cool spot)
Some cabbages (Excel ?) for spring use.
Carrots
Turnip
Early peas (Early Onward or Feltham First) should give you a crop before the
first frost unless you are way up North but you will need to keep them
watered during hot/dry weather.

Plant in Sept/Oct
Garlic
Over wintering onions (but I don't bother, tried them, lost too many over
the winter, consider them a waste of time)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden